Author Topic: Nilla-Settling of Iceland  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
Re: Nilla-Settling of Iceland
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
Thank you for your nice words @Artfactial. I just read the story again and I´m quite proud of it, can hardly believe that I can write like that. I don´t know if I´ll ever be inspired to write something similar again but we will see. 

And I did let the game decide a lot of the story; I had some real historical event that needed to be a part of it and as I also tell, I replaced some "domestic people" with people from outside to make the story more credible and fun. I also gave "death of old age" a broader meaning to make the story more interesting but otherwise, it´s Banished. But of course; with the excellent North mod.

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »
I have decided to make a try to finish the story I wanted to tell. "Season 2" will be a sequel with another village as center and new main characters; descendants from Dorrit and Amiracle. There´s one thing at this time of history that has caught my interest. If you´ve read "season 1" of the story, you might have noticed it: It´s the change of religion that happened in whole Scandinavia to this time. How did it happen? Why now? How did it change people´s minds and way of life? Was it true spiritual conviction or was it more or less forced upon people? How fast did the old religion disappear? There are many unanswered questions. I´ve made some research and read some (rather "heavy") scientific articles but there are no clear answers; theories, yes but no one can say for sure. That´s rather nice because it makes this story as credible as anything else.

If we recapitulate the story; Eugenery died in the year 967. There are quite a few Christians at Pelika but most of its inhabitants still belive in the Asa gods. Before Eugenery died, he settled that his eldest son, the Christian Aurelous was his heir to the property and his son in law Kell, married to his oldest daughter Earthusa should follow him as Gute of the area. The Gute was leading the Thingsmeating and made the sacrifices to the gods. 

The good spirit of Pelika had gone. Aurelious didn´t like the wooden idols on his property. There were 2 Freja images in the farming area and one of Thor down at the main dock. He said that if anyone wanted them, they could have them but if they weren´t gone 3 days from now, he would burn them. People were dismayed, these idols had been there as long as they could remember. They were made by the old thrall Rome who had put all his skill into making them, despite being Christian. Kell and Earthusa decided to move the Tor and one of the Freja idols to their place and the widow Shanner, the youngest daughter of Dorrit and Amiracle put the other Freja idol in front of her house.

And it had become worse.

The thingstead meeting that spring had as always started with a big feast at the longhouse. The harvest the year before had been very bad but Pelika was rich enough to buy food and nothing was missing. But as always after bad years, many people were now out of bread. Everyone expected Aurelious and Selindsay to follow the example of the parents and grandparents and lend the poorer neighbours grain without ever requesting anything more than loyalty back. But Aurelious had made clear that he would only give food to those who instead of going to the usual sacrifice in the temple, accompanied him to the chapel next morning. He didn´t demand that they would become Christians, he only wanted them the hear the Christian message and after the Holy Mass, they should choose him to lead the thingstead meeting. So only a few of the richer neighbours and some Pelica men went with Kell to make the sacrifices to the Asa gods, the chapel had been crowded and Aurelious had led the meeting.

A few weddings were planned that spring. There were always weddings in spring, the descendants of Dorrit and Amiracle were many and it was custom that those who wanted to stay at Pelika got a piece of land of their own. Even if Pelika had grown, there was still free land. That spring Aurelious declared that he would only give land to Christian couples. Young couples who didn´t want to follow Christ could stay at their parents or their parents could split their farm, he didn´t care but on his land he only wanted Christians. Eurthusa was furious. They had arranged very good marriages for three of their grandsons that spring. Did he believe that people like the Gute Thord or the big farmer Eskil would give their daughters to men without property? But no one could make Aurelious change his mind and two of the engagements were broken.

Only Minniel (eldest son of Earthusa and Kell´s second son Gianni) married Mandace, the daughter of the lawman Sigurd who was keen enough on getting family bonds with the grandson of the famous lawman Ullfjot that he didn´t care about the missing property. Minniel´s brother Dall and his cousin Javio weren´t sad about the cancelled weddings. They were both not keen on girls from outside and would rather marry Pelika girls even if they were their second cousins or great aunts. Without property, they could now choose girls they like themselves: Dall married his third cousin Sana Donavontesdottir and Javio ( youngest son of Earthusa and Kell´s eldest son Casimeaon) married Shanner´s granddaughter who also had the name Mandace called Mandi Sourgissdottir. (They calculated that Javio would be the third cousin of his own children)

The young people were sure that their great uncle had the will and the means to make everyone near him Christian. But they wanted to make their own choices and decided to move. But where could they go? None of them could imagine a life in a foreign country. But what prospects would they have here oat Iceland? They had no money to buy a farm. All three young men were trained in fighting so maybe some big farmer would take them as hirdmen but what freedom would that give? Even less than staying. All farmland were taken but up in the mountains there were still land no one had claimed. Was it possible to make a living up there? They decided to make a try. What did they have to lose? Everyone except Mandace had grown up on Pelika and were old enough to remember Amiracle and all her stories about the first hard years. If Dorrit and Amiracle had made it, they could too.

The old folks tried to warn them for the cold and harsh weather up in the moutains but how could anyone talk youngsters out of something they´ve decided? So instead they gave them some supply and a small herd of sheep. Javio´s younger brother Marian nagged so much that they finally decided that he could go with them. Mandace also took her slave girl Dona, she got as dowry and since Shanner didn´t want to give her granddaughter a disadvantage to that girl from outside, she also gave her a slave girl; Salindsay was still very young but diligent and skilled by all tasks.

First, they walked along the valley with small farms everywhere. They crossed one mountain and found more farms. People said that no one lived behind the next big mountain but that was because it was too harsh up there. So, of course, they headed that way. But reluctantly they had to admit that the people in the valley might have been right; there was no tree to be seen, there was still a lot of snow and not much grass. Here would be hard to survive. A bit further down they saw a river and decided to follow it. So far, the trip hasn´t been too hard. They were used to walk in the mountains, had enough supply, the weather was nice, it wasn´t all too much work for the two slave girls to tend to the 8 sheep but by the river the ground was wet; bogland everywhere. From time to time some of them got stuck or some sheep got stuck, everything was slow and everything was wet. The mountains around them were steep so the only way, except for the same way back, was along the river. They didn´t know what to do, soon they would be out of supply. The people, as well as the sheep, were exhausted. But suddenly the river broadened to a small lake, the ground became solid and dry and behind a small mountain, they saw birches! Among all the bogland after the small lake, where the river made a turn, there was a piece of solid land with thick green grass. They saw more birches on the other side of the river. This spot was the best they had seen since they left the inhabited area. What choice did they have but to stay?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:33:59 AM by Nilla »

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
They looked around at their new home: Almost a peninsula with a few grows with birches, some bogland, some solid ground and mountains around it. The river flew slowly and on the other side, they saw more trees and as it looked; more solid ground. It was indeed a beautiful place. They also saw traces of trees and peat that had been cut but they saw no traces of any buildings. People who lived closer to the coast would probably come up here for wood and peat. Maybe they wouldn't like them settling here but they weren't afraid of some small farmers. They were Pelika men, armed and trained to fight. They were confident to be able to defend their land. But as soon as they could, they would send a message to their grandfather and make him legalize the claim of land on the Thing.

At first, there was a lot of discussions, how to use the few birches. First, they would need some wood to build a shelter. Most of them had grown up with Amircles´ stories about how Iceland had been full of forest and how the first settlers had been stupid enough to cut all big trees and then letting cattle and sheep graze on the former forest to "make sure" that all small trees were destroyed, too. Pelika´s wealth built on their forests. That's what they've heard 1000 times. The trees that were cut were carefully chosen, all animals were fenced. Every Pelika child knew how to tend to the forest. But these few birches?

They decided to first only take so many trees that they needed for a hut, or in the end, it became two huts. They realized that also the sheep would need to be locked away from the groves at night and even if they would need to start small and primitive, they were no small farmers or thralls who lived with their livestock. One hut was primarily made of stones and turf. Here they stored their supply and kept the sheep at night. The second one had a fireplace and a sharp pointed roof to lead the smoke away. There was barely room enough for all of them to sleep so both slave girls and mostly also young Marian spent the nights in the shed. The most important decision was to only cut so many more trees they needed to build a bridge. For all other buildings they planned, they would use logs from the other side of the river.

They wanted a solid bridge from logs and stones, not only a simple duck-board that would be washed away at the first flood. They also didn't want to block the river. Even if they didn't know if anyone lived upstreams, every child in Iceland knows how important the waterways are in a roadless country. Blocking a river may cause real trouble.  It took all winter to build the bridge. The weather was cold but the river didn't freeze. There were probably some hot springs upstream. This made it easier to continue fishing in winter. The river was full of fish. They mostly caught trout but further out in the deeper part of the river they saw big salmons. How hard they tried, they couldn't catch any from the river bank so they decided to build a fishing pier from the first logs they cut on the other side.

But there were also other things they needed from these first logs: During the construction of the bridge, some of their tools were worn out. They would also need nails, hinges and other construction pieces from iron. They had brought some iron bars from Pelika but to form it, they needed a higher heat than firewood or peat could give. They also wanted tar, so they built a proper kiln for tar and charcoal and heated it with deadwood they found on the ground. To heat their hut and to cook at the fireplace in front of it, they usually used peat-fuel.

There were so much to do: They needed a workplace for ironwork. They used all spare pieces of wood to build a fence to make it easier to keep the sheep on the place, they were supposed to grass and after the birth of Werne, the son of Dall and Sana, they needed a second hut. That baby could cry, he kept everyone from sleeping. The voice of a future great lawman, like his great-great-great-grandfather, everyone said. Speaking the law on the Allting so loud that everyone could hear. They had planned to build each couple a proper house as soon as they had time to build and had collected enough material but instead, they built a second hut as fast as they could. They put it down by the fishing pier. In the safe distance from Dall, Sana and their son.

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 05:34:32 AM »
I had a bad computer crash the other day. It looks like my son can fix the computer but not all saved things, so this was probably all from this town.

Offline galensgranny

• Banished Expert
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 10:47:41 PM »
So sorry about your computer.  I hope your son can fix it.

Offline Artfactial

• Trader
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2020, 12:40:57 AM »
Just wanted to hop in and say I'm sorry for your computer and save file, how bad is the damage?

I will take the time to read your new Iceland entries this weekend, was happy to see you return to it.:)

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 06:05:37 AM »
New computer ordered after some attempts to get the old one working. :-\

Offline 1

• Trader
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
Hello @Nilla
New computer, same old Banished, but not boring.  :)

Offline Artfactial

• Trader
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2020, 03:02:18 AM »
Oh that's good news!
An upgrade over the old one which might allow for a bit larger cities?;)

Offline Artfactial

• Trader
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »
Caught up on the new village, a shame you can't continue it. Sounds like it would've been a big challenge with some great story possibilities.:)

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2020, 04:24:21 AM »
Maybe someday I can continue the story. I added the seed number on the very first picture and as far as I know, it´s always the same people at the start. And since I didn´t get very far, there will not be much difference. Probably the baby with the loud cry will not be born but I suppose we can let it die, as far as I know, it wouldn´t be very unlikely to that time that newborn dies.

At the moment I play a vanilla game on my new computer. Since I loaded Banished new, there are no achievements and all achievements on one map is a fun challenge that I want to make (or at least all except the 200 years tenure achievement).

Offline Artfactial

• Trader
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2020, 02:31:16 AM »
I just found out about the Landnámabók...incredible to have such a recourse and account of the formative years of a new land.^^

Offline Nilla

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »
Science isn´t sure how authentic it is. Some scientists mean that it´s pretty much documentary, others are of the opinion that those who wrote it had the agenda to prove the importance of their own families. It was written around 1200. There´s another document: Íslendingabók that´s older; written about 1130, also a lot later in the Christian time and my story builds on historical events told in this book, true or not.

Offline Artfactial

• Trader
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 05:00:02 AM »
Gehe, people writing histories usually have an agenda or at least a viewpoint on the events:) But yes getting closer to the actual date and authors of the words/work helps a lot in filtering that out.
And in the end, for a story told from a contemporary historical perspective, it matters much if it was true to those people in their worldview and mindset.^^
I'm planning on having some historians in my town who attempt to reconstruct lives from bannies past at some point.