Author Topic: Flåm (pronounced "flom")  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Boris_amj

• Founder
  • Vendor
Flåm (pronounced "flom")
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:13:02 AM »
Well, here we are. Ready for a flash journey to Norway.
Yes, I know it's 3 in the morning. But don't worry, we will be back home soon.

The advantages of ghost travelling is that you don't get tired at all.
And you get there in the blink of an eye.
See? I bet you didn't notice we were already in Oslo.

But I didn't want to show you the city (which is nice enough, especially the gardens).
Let's just go to the Kon-Tiki museum.
Remember it ? It is the raft which crossed the Pacific ocean.

And there you have it, in its own museum. A bit sad because it misses the ocean.
Some nights you can see her chatting to the other raft in the museum: the Ra-II.
They spend all the time teasing each other. My voyage was longer. Yeah, but mine was more interesting. You know, raft gossip..
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/Kon-Tikimuseo_zps2d60b07c.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

Let's leave them and go west, towards the fjords.
When you fly in Norway (and Scandinavia in general) you realise it is nothing more than trees and lakes.
Tree, lake. Lake, tree. Look, look, a lake. With trees.

So, why are we here?, you ask.
We're nearly there, I answer.

First, let's stop in a place called Vik. Which is just a village in the middle of forests. And lakes.
But what is specially impressive is the church. There you have it. Look at the roof and tell me it is not a wonder to behold.
I got some walnuts somewhere. Here you are. You can give them to the squirrels. They know me by now, but I'm sure they're be pleased with your walnuts too.
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/Vikiglesia_zpse35cc176.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

Now we go to Myrdal.
As you can see it is nothing more than a couple of houses with a train station.
There is of course a tourist shop where you can buy fridge magnets in the shape of the famous Norwegian "troll".
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/EstaciondeMyrdal_zpse3f8ee41.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

This is a special station because is the starting point of one of the most spectacular trains in Europe: the Flamsbana.
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/Flamsbanatren_zpsdab9d494.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

This train takes you directly down to the base of the fjord, to a place called Flåm (pronounced "flom").
In fact, the descent is so steep, there are no roads down. It can only be accessed by boat or by this special train.
We could go flying, of course. But I think it'd be more interesting to follow the train trail and see the views.

Half way down, the train stops here: in the Kjosfossen falls. They let you get out and take the typical tourist photos. But well worth it, in my opinion.
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/Kjosfossen_zps091e2955.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

And finally, we have arrived to my favourite place: Flåm (pronounced "flom").
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss331/Boris_amj/Flam-pronunciadoflom_zps7a27f231.jpg
Flåm (pronounced "flom")

I haven't travelled much. I am sure there are plenty of more beautiful places than this one. The Rockies, The Andes, The Himalayas ...
But to me Flåm (pronounced .. ah, I've already told you, haven't I?) is a marvel that everybody should have a chance to come and see it.

Can you see those white trails on the side of the fjord? Those are free fall streams of water, created by melted snow.

From here you can book a cruise to see more fjords.
This place is very peaceful and ideal to escape from the busy and noisy cities.

I'll leave you alone now. Just sit by a tree and think about your own things.
I hope when you wake up, the journey will have left you with a good feeling.

Good night.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Re: Flåm (pronounced "flom")
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »
Beautiful, just beautiful!  Thank you for posting this! Now I want to go!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline Boris_amj

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:02:43 AM »
I've been to Scandinavia twice.

The first time we went all the way round, starting at Stockholm, then boat to Helsinki, up Finland to the Arctic Circle, where we saw the Northern Lights for the first time (remember I originally come from Spain, so it was a big deal for me).
Then between Sweden and Norway, all the way down to Oslo.
Finally we went west towards Bergen.
Don't know what made us stop at Vik. But, man, am I glad we did.

The second time we visited we went straight for Flåm.

Norway is jolly expensive, though. Eating out is particularly extortionate.
But if you can afford it, it is well worth it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:18:27 AM by Boris_amj »

Offline nmid

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
I'm on a dialup, so can't see the pics easily...

However, My mom had recently visited Helsinki a month ago, on her way to see the Northern Lights... and considering that we live in India, it was quite a trip halfway across the world.
I was thinking of accompanying her for safety and because I would have loved to take in the sights too, but my ears (and me) have a really tough time handling cold... so I didn't consider the thought too seriously.

Offline Boris_amj

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:38 AM »
The Arctic Circle sounds quite grand, but if you look in a map you can see that it is more South than you would imagine.
If you go during the summer, the climate is not that cold. In fact, we were quite disappointed as there wasn't even a hint of snow :(

For example, in Finland it goes as far down as Rovaniemi. A town that, other than being right on the Circle, is one of the tackiest places I've ever been. It has a "Santa Klaus village", where you can buy plastic santas and all  :P

By the way, Helsinki is one of my favourite cities. With its trams and the Orthodox cathedral.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:13:35 AM by Boris_amj »

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
Beautiful pictures! It looks like the kind of place I would love to visit! I love the crisp, colorful houses and the mountains and all the greenery around! I like the feeling of history, endurance, and story of old historical places and buildings.

Some of the pictures remind me very much of where I live in Alaska. We are surrounded by mountains and water and every time I go out for a drive or walk I am always struck by how beautiful it all is.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
I love waterfalls, large and small.  I have lots of pictures of Niagara Falls, and also from Buttermilk Falls State Park in New York, USA.  I took the them on different camera settings, so some are rushing and some are frozen in time.  Those were the days when my mother and I wandered one week every year, somewhere in the USA.  We alternated years, choosing.  We differed in our last year of living together.  It was my turn to choose, and I chose Alaska.  My mother said she had changed her mind about whose turn it was, and we were going to the Everglades.  I refused to go to Florida on my year to choose, so we just went camping in a circle around Lake Michigan.  When I finished graduate school and postdoc, and had a good job, I took her to the Okefenokee Swamp.  We both enjoyed our camping canoe trip there, as well as some other natural sites we saw on the drive down the East Coast.  However, I never did get to see Alaska.

Oh, and I know about Thor Heyerdahl's rafts.  We read those books when I was in secondary school, my mother and I.  I thought they had long ago been salvaged, or perhaps broken up in a storm.  I am glad they were preserved.

This is my favorite photo of a Norwegian settlement.  It is on the Isle of Orkney, and was founded when those isles belonged to Norway.  It is the homestead of the progenitor of my father's surname: Christe Ae Lingakloetr.  I swiped it off an Internet website, so there are no credits.

Offline kee

• Trader
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:05:42 AM »
So good you liked it here! The Flåm railway is quite a ride. Did you know you can bike down the construction roadway there? I've done so on a few holidays. Quite a lot of the construction roadways in the mountains along the Bergen railway is open for pedalling. Hiking is allowed prettymuch anywhere in Norway as long as you stay off fields and lawns.
As for pricing: 1 That's what you get with an olifueled economy, I'm afraid. Average salaries are also high here. 2 Touristy destinations are notorious for trying to squeeze out as much juice they can of the prey they catch, while off-the-track destinstions often have good food and reasonable accomodation without wringing you dry.
Kim Erik

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:03:24 AM »
@slink  Alaska is beautiful, and well-worth visiting (in my opinion, anyway :D )! 

We live in SE Alaska, in a rain forest zone so we get rain most of the year. June-July is generally the best time to visit and hope to get lots of sunshine. Which of course is one of the amazing things about living up here...the sunshine (or light) lasts for about 20 hours this time of year and is a huge relief from the long dark winter days. And while we have lots of flowers and greenery every where, not to mention mountains, glaciers, and various waterways, I have heard from many people that up farther north it is absolutely gorgeous this time of year. My grandmother, who used to travel a lot (she's wheelchair-bound now), stills holds Alaska up as one of her favorite travel destinations ever.

After 7 years of living here, I am still amazed at the beauty around me. We live up on one of the mountains a bit so have lovely views and so much green space around us. I lived all my life in South Jersey before we moved here and I don't think I could ever go back there. There is just something so soul-pleasing about living in a beautiful place.