Author Topic: New Kindles Released by Amazon  (Read 4675 times)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
New Kindles Released by Amazon
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
Amazon has released a new generation of Kindles.  A very affordable 6" Fire and a high rez new reader called the Voyage with a 300ppi display are part of the new line-up.

http://www.amazon.com

http://www.amazon.co.uk

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline irrelevant

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
Re: New Kindles Released by Amazon
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:13:08 AM »
That's wild, I was just thinking on the way in to work today, I should check Kindles and see if there's anything new. Kindle has changed our lives, we read so much more now! We've owned 5 of the regular Kindles (gave 3 of those away), and one Kindle Fire, which is my wife's. I was thinking it's time I upgraded mine  :)

Offline Pangaea

• Champion
  • Architect
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »
I prefer actual books. Just reading big articles is a drag on a computer screen, and even more so on the phone or phone-like devices.

They do take up more space, but I like to have them physically in my hand :)

Offline irrelevant

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:51 AM »
Book-books are indeed nicer, but we like the convenience of e-books. We buy books on impulse, and it's nice to learn about a book that sounds interesting, and to be reading it three minutes later!

Also, we have so many analog books, they take up so much space. Hate to add more to that stockpile  ;)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
I prefer actual books. Just reading big articles is a drag on a computer screen, and even more so on the phone or phone-like devices.

They do take up more space, but I like to have them physically in my hand :)

I like to have a book in my hand myself, but, I have noticed over the last two years of Kindle use that unlike phones and computer screens, the kindle screen really is easy to look at and does not cause eyestrain or flicker irritation.  I read 14 books last winter and expect to do a lot more reading.  I am considering the Kindle Unlimited subscription as it will give me access to a lot of books but I don't need to buy them. Then, if I read one I like, I may buy it or even buy the hardcopy to have on hand.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Also, we have so many analog books, they take up so much space. Hate to add more to that stockpile  ;)

Isn't that the truth! I've been put on notice about buying books since I already have 8-10 floor-to-ceiling book cases (and that is only half the books I had when I was working--I gave the rest to students). I managed to sneak in three the other day, but that put me on probation.  :(  I got a Kobo from Chapters-Indigo, which is Canada's big on-line book seller, and use that for public library and recreational books now. It also works OK for a couple of periodicals I get in e-versions to save overseas mailing charges. The Kobo also is an Android tablet so I can use the BBC ap and read the Guardian. It's not like holding the real book or newspaper, but it keeps me out of trouble. I have noticed that in almost all cases the e-book is cheaper than the hard bound edition, but it is not always cheaper than the paperback edition. Not sure why.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
... I have noticed that in almost all cases the e-book is cheaper than the hard bound edition, but it is not always cheaper than the paperback edition. Not sure why.

Short answer: The Publishers

They are still in the paperback business and they need to sell them to get their money back on printing, storage, and distribution.  If the ebooks are always cheaper, paperbacks will not sell.

Offline Pangaea

• Champion
  • Architect
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
E-books also save trees, so you can trade away more firewood :D

Offline salamander

• Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »
My wife got me a Kindle a couple of years ago, and at first I wasn't sure I would like it -- I've always enjoyed having an actual book in my hand.  But, I've really gotten a lot of use out of the Kindle.  My biggest complaint, and it's a minor one, is that for long novels, I like to be able to flip back to be able to find something I may have missed.  Unless it was only a few pages ago, that's harder (at least for me) with the Kindle.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
My wife got me a Kindle a couple of years ago, and at first I wasn't sure I would like it -- I've always enjoyed having an actual book in my hand.  But, I've really gotten a lot of use out of the Kindle.  My biggest complaint, and it's a minor one, is that for long novels, I like to be able to flip back to be able to find something I may have missed.  Unless it was only a few pages ago, that's harder (at least for me) with the Kindle.

Bookmarks  - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201241990

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
Bookmarks only work for things you have missed if you notice them and mark them at the time, which means by definition you have not missed them.

Offline salamander

• Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
@solarscreen -- Thanks for the link.  As it turns out, I have one of more primitive Kindles with no touchscreen functions at all.  I can set bookmarks, but not as easily as the link talked about doing.  I was also going to mention what @slink pointed out, but she beat me to it.  ;)

Offline irrelevant

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
@salamander your complaint about not being able to flip back is my one beef with Kindle as well. Sometimes it is so frustrating.

Offline Pangaea

• Champion
  • Architect
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
@salamander your complaint about not being able to flip back is my one beef with Kindle as well. Sometimes it is so frustrating.

Can imagine it would be a huge drag to read the Game of Thrones books on Kindle, as I went back to the maps and characters overview very frequently. Have finally started reading Lord of the Rings too, and I'm going back to the map often there too. You can't really get that same thing on Kindle. This stuff is why I preferred to print out scholarly articles as well. Just so much easier to work with the paper version for highlighting, small comments, and of course going back and forth to the references and notes.

A Kindle probably works well for travels when you perhaps just want to read light material though, that you sort of your breeze through. Bringing a library in your suitcase isn't so practical. I've actually recently moved apartments, and it felt like half the boxes were filled with books :D

Offline salamander

• Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »
Funny you should mention the Game of Thrones books, because for me that's where the difficulty in browsing backwards became noticeable.  I've been reading the books as they came out, and until the most recent one, which I got for the Kindle, they were always in print form.  When the most recent came out, I decided to re-read the others before going on, and then switched to the Kindle for the latest.  With all the plots, sub-plots, and sub-sub-plots going on, I missed being able flip back dozens or even hundreds of pages.

Like I said, it's a minor issue, really just a limitation of the e-book readers that I've learned to live with.