Author Topic: Who is playing Simcity 2013?  (Read 14551 times)

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Who is playing Simcity 2013?
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Let's not get rude here, just looking for people who are playing now that it is offline and mods are coming out of the woodworks.

Are you able to get anything more out of playing or is the shine all gone from this game?

I tried playing offline and quit after about 20 minutes.  I just wasn't interested anymore, at least then. Maybe later, but I'm not into it right now.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline nmid

• Founder
  • Vendor
Re: Who is playing Simcity 2013?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Never played any SIM seriously.. did try SIM 4/2000..but it had pretty ancient graphics that weren't even smooth (re: Caesar 3).
I generally play a demo before I actually buy the game, so need to check if the new sim has a demo or just watch some lp vids...or torrent it.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »
I am a long-time SimCity player but not this last one. I tried to like it but IMO, it is too limiting/broken online or off. Important functions just do not function properly and once you figure out certain strategies, it is just too easy to cheese it and not challenging.

To be fair though, I have not played it in months so they may have fixed everything by now. Though my previous experiences with EA makes that seem not likely to me. ;D   

Hope none of this sounds rude, it is not intended to!

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
@mariesalias I just meant lets not get angry and flame anyone who might have played it or is still playing it!  The EA forums got really bad about the attacks back and forth!

You are fine!

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
I've played my share of SimCity, including a lot in several betas before game launch. I was pretty active back then, and put a lot of effort into a forum because the official forum was too chaotic, not-moderated (but really needed to) and unstructured. Sounds familiar somehow.

I really liked the ideas behind the new SimCity, but the marketing was shit and the way the design was implemented was just too broken. Fixes were too late, so I lost interest. I still like the city design and love the flexibility of gridless, non-squared building, but the city spots are just too small.
However, I think I'll return to it now and then.

The "always online" never bothered me much, but the offline mode should help the modding hopefully.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:43:20 PM by Kaldir »

Offline ivorymalinov

• Champion
  • Vendor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
I have the game and I try to play it every now and then. It frustrates the living hell out of me. Just watching the insane traffic loop around drives me bonkers. I really wish it was more like SC4 with todays graphics.  :(

Offline Rezulm

• Laborer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
Yes and the small square plots...  Even if it was much like the old one but had better more fluid and realistic terrain and road forming.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 01:09:40 PM »
One of the first two PC games I bought was SimCity. In those days it was state of the art! Then SC 2000, then SC 3000 and then SC 4 in all its flavours. I've added a lot of custom content, especially NAM and CAM and still play (though not so much since Banished came out). I've really, really tried to bring myself to buy 2013, but even with the ability to do "single-player" I just can't do it. SC 5 could have been so much more.

I was also disappointed in the latest version of Railroad Tycoon (the other of those 2 original PC games). I seems not like an advance, but like a regression with better graphics. Not that there weren't problems with RT 3 (like scenarios that required shipping X amount of Y commodity only no trains would take it because the price dropped too low in the target city), but, again, the next edition could have been so much more.

Just my opinion, of course.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
I remember lots of hours on the original Simcity.  Way too many hours...  :)

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
I have very fond memories of SimCity on the SNES. My older son (he was young then) and I would spend entire weekends co-building cities.

I believe my first PC game was the original DOS version of Civilization.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
My first PC game was DND on a CP/M Z-80 computer that I built myself (Heathkit).   ;D

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
I loved SC4 and must have downloaded 500+ mods/files/maps from Simtropolis for it.  I probably put in a few hundred hours on that game.  And a few hundred more browsing Simtropolis!

I pre-ordered the new SimCity and have put in about 80 hours total.  It's fun to a certain extent.  The small map size is what gets me.  I did get the offline update and that is a welcome change, and I have downloaded a few mods but have not played since I downloaded them.  To be honest, it's been hard to get back into it now that I have Banished.  I do plan to play it again, but who knows when.

Has anyone tried out any mods?  Are there any that are must-haves?

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 01:45:15 AM »
I haven't played for a few months now, and most mods back then were visual only, changing the looks of cars and trains. Now a few more scripting mods appeared, but haven't seen them myself.

For visuals I used most of oppie's mods, since he really has an eye for it (and is the creator of the modding tool).

For statistics addicts some good ones are Extended Worker Data (made by a Maxis dev) and Trend Pack.

Well, and then there is BoC (sorry, I have no link) which allows to build outside the city box, with some limitations. Another recent one that looks promissing but I haven't tried yet is the Unidirectional Networks (UNoD), which adds one way roads and roundabouts.

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Hmm I just had a look around Simtropolis and there are some cool-looking mods available.  Enough to convince me to play some SimCity?  Maybe...but my new Banished town is calling me...   ;)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »
@solarscreen, I noticed some pics from Sim City which you posted in the "Other Games" folder of the Gallery. Question: Are these pictures of a whole city or of one neighbourhood of a larger city?