Author Topic: Win 8.1 and failure to boot  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Malexias

• Newb
Win 8.1 and failure to boot
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:23:44 AM »
So I seem to have an issue with my computer. How do I go about fixing it when it fails to reboot fully?

While I was posting this, the computer finally booted properly. Let's hear it for knowing how to work around not being able to click icons lol :)

Only took it 2 hours to fully bootup PAST the black screen after signing in. I knew it wasn't a HD crash n burn, nor a MOBO issue, it simply just did NOT want to boot up fully.  My HD was fully accessible, via the task manager, all my files were intact, the registry seemed to be fine (what part of it I could access, REG's were never my thing so I never taught myself how to alter/repair/access).

Anyone with any knowledge about this please help. I tried downloading the KB2756872 patch that Microsoft issued. It would allow me to shut off the fast bootup so it would actually boot up w/o bypassing the full line up of files when it had an issue restarting, but it seems it's not compatible with my system (eh? I downloaded the 8.1 64 bit file :( )

I would not have had this issue had I not shut the comp down last night so I could do updates on it this morning AFTER a fresh reboot.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
  • Try to always learn something new, daily.
Re: Win 8.1 and failure to boot
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
Since I am a Linux user, I can't really help you much but there is some open water here:

• Is your system based on BIOS or UEFI?
  • Please describe your hardware.  We can't see your machine, and everyone has different gear
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

Offline Malexias

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »
Virtual DOS is the basis of the programming it uses.

It seems it's a common occurance with Win 8 and 8.1, since they both use what's called "fast bootup" it skips the majority of the non-critical files to boot up to the tile screen. It apparently hiccup'd when I shut it down last night, but since I only shut it off/restart it once a month, I had not run across this problem before.

There's a bulletin that Windows has put out that allows you to shut off the fast boot and return to a normal speed startup, but I'm unable to install it. Says it's not the correct file for both the 64 bit and the 32 bit. I'm running the 64 bit system.  If I can't install the bulletin, has anyone managed to bypass the fast boot up w/o it?

Offline salamander

• Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »
I have only very limited experience with Windows 8, but is there still an option to open the BIOS settings during boot?  I would think there would be since the BIOS operates at a lower level than the OS.  It may be that there's a setting in the BIOS area that would let you enable/disable the fast boot, but that's really just a guess.

Offline Malexias

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
I can't even find the combination I need to get to my BIOS. Even safe mode boot doesn't get recognized. :( It's a brilliant OS compared to some of the previous failures, but I do miss my original key configurations :(

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »
You may not have BIOS at all.  If that's a new machine in the last couple of years, it may have UEFI instead.  This is a whole new ball of wax, and Microsoft sets it up to lock out a lot of stuff (like dual booting).  You may have to read over the wiki article on UEFI and crack the MS coding.

UEFI is a replacement for BIOS that allows single storage partitions larger than 1 GB and fixes a lot of other frogs in BIOS.

Offline Malexias

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 02:59:50 AM »
It doesn't have a partition. It's a full 1TB HD (dances for joy). I hadn't thought of it having a diff variant of BIOS, but it would explain why I was unable to locate the key commands to access it.  Haven't had my fingers in Window's programming since XP, might be interesting and keep my mind engaged.

Have been some wonderful suggestions you guys have offered. I will have time to delve into this over the weekend and see what I come up with.  Will let you all know (if I don't forget) what I have found out and how to work around it.

Offline A Nonny Moose

• Architect
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
Please keep good notes, and let us know how you make out.