I decided to give this one a try. So far I've killed more citizens than I killed Kerbals when I first played Kerbal Space Program! I keep hoping for a settlement that survives the first Winter. I'm just not very good when I can't cogitate and plan.
But I'm not going to give up . . . well, at least not quite yet.
I had a difficult time surviving the first winter, too. Here's approximately what I remember doing to keep alive for the first winter.
1. Set to full speed (obviously).
2. Set laborers (everyone at this point) to resource harvesting. (Trees and Stone mostly.)
3. Place Gatherer's hut and set priority.
4. Place Boarding House and set priority.
5. Keep all Laborers as Laborers until Gatherer's Hut has all resources to be built.
6. Keep all Laborers as Laborers until Boarding House has all resources to be built.
At this point, it's Winter.
7. Set all people to laborers except 4 Gatherers.
8. Place another Gatherer's hut.
9. Set priority on Gatherer's hut (or your people will starve).
10. Keep all Laborers as Laborers until Gatherer's Hut has all resources to be built.
11. Set 5 total Gatherer's to Gather.
12. Place Woodcutter.
13. Keep all Laborers as Laborers until Woodcutter has all resources to built.
At this point, you should be able to survive through the rest. That first winter is a killer one, and the second is a little harsh too. But something like this should do you quite well. At least that's how I got through it!