Author Topic: Anybody Have A Home Theater?  (Read 2242 times)

Online solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
Anybody Have A Home Theater?
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
I have an HD projector and an 8 foot screen to watch movies and tv on. Beats going to the local theater for me.

7.1 surround, powered subwoofer, and butt kickers in the furniture make for a great experience.

What do you have?
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
Re: Anybody Have A Home Theater?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »
I think Star Trek V was the last movie we left the house for.  When was that?  Twenty years ago or so?

We didn't even have a TV link for almost ten years.  We got everything external that we needed from the Internet.  We've since reconnected to a TV satellite service.  We're considering HD, but have not yet purchased that option.

We have a 50" flatscreen plasma TV, which we bought when the signal went digital.  We have an old Bose surround-sound speaker system, with five speakers plus the woofer.  It sounds much better now that we've put styrofoam tiles on the ceiling.

We're really not that much into movies.  One can lay down a book and return to it at one's leisure.

Online solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
@slink, I have been doing a lot more reading these days.

Offline dogsinapile

• Newb
  • nothing left to do but smile smile smile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
We added built in surround sound when we built our house about 8 years ago ...
Polk audio in wall speakers front and back, Polk center channel and sub.
We listen to A LOT of music so it is more for that than watching TV or movies.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
We also have a 50" Plasma TV, no stereo sound or anything though. My husband is not a music lover or big on watching movies so it is not high on his priority list. Plus we still rent so we have no real incentive to upgrade things.

We traded in cable TV a few years ago for better internet. We only really watched a few channels anyway (i.e. HGTV, TCM, Nick Jr). Now we use Netflix and Hulu Plus but even those we don't watch often. I do listen to my favorite DVDs often though while I am gaming.

I do not get to read as much as I'd like. I am actually looking forward to summer vacation so I can spend time reading outside while my son plays!

Offline Rezulm

• Laborer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
I almost feel like I'm all movie'd out.  All the new stuff is the same and I like the older movies which I have already seen many times.  Kinda how music is going for me.  Its constantly going more toward commercial success, formulas, and less actual artists making the stuff.

Online solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
I almost feel like I'm all movie'd out.  All the new stuff is the same and I like the older movies which I have already seen many times.  Kinda how music is going for me.  Its constantly going more toward commercial success, formulas, and less actual artists making the stuff.

You just gave me another idea:

Music recommendations board and Movie recommendations board for people looking for something they have not seen and would be worth looking at or listening to.

That's how I got into Klaus Schulze - a german electronic music composer. I have a rare phonograph release of "Timewind" from years ago.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
A music board would be great! I have a pretty varied taste in music and Pandora is not what it used to be. I am always looking to expand my musical tastes.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
I realized that, technically, we have nine speakers.  Six of them are in pairs, though.  They are the three front channels.  One of the nine is a woofer.  The other two aren't connected right now because we're painting, but they are the two rear channels.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
Here's some photos of our newly renovated home theater.  The first three are very out-of-focus because they were taken with ambient light in a room without the lights on, and not on tripod.  They show the electronic components as well as the room layout.  The fourth is in better focus because all of the room lights are on.  The last one is a shot of the light reflecting from the mirrored table onto the ceiling.  The lights are controlled by a bank of eight switches.  There is a large ceiling fan in the center of the room, controlled by a pull-chain.  There is a framed print, of wolves in the snow, missing from over the sofa.  It is having its warped plexiglass front replaced with non-glare glass.

Today I'm due to receive DVDs of ten years each of JAG and NCIS.  I'll receive the 11th year of NCIS next week.  I held off on buying the DVDs of NCIS because one of our channels carries them fairly often.  However, I have recently caught them cutting out chunks large enough that I can remember dialogue that is missing.  They are doing this in order to fit in more advertising.  The sound level of the advertising has also increased again, from the legally mandated decrease earlier this year.  I've watched them and they are now making advertisements where the first few seconds are subdued and then the volume abruptly goes up.  I speculate that the broadcasters are using an automatic volume adjustment that samples the first few seconds and the advertisers are exploiting that.  Having decided to buy 11 years of NCIS, I decided to buy JAG too because we never saw those shows.  They aired during the time when we didn't have TV service.  It's a bit of a long shot, but I generally enjoy shows by Belisarius and JAG was the direct predecessor to NCIS.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:31:23 AM by slink »

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 06:32:29 PM »
We are on Year 5 of JAG now, and are using High Definition mode on our TV for the first time.  I had to pull out the manual and put batteries in the remote in order to change it.   :)