Eglingoldfort - an attempt for the Queen ;) of the Mountain and its modded copy

Started by Nilla, April 08, 2015, 05:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I will try the challenge of @Trizeropz , the real hard one; small mountain map, harsh climate, hard start, disasters on, no trade, no farming, no herbalist. I thought a little bit about making it "extra hard" with no schools, but I came to the conclusion, that it really have no sense. This game will soon enough come to its limits and with uneducated it's not harder, the end only comes sooner.

It is not easy to find an appealing small mountain map. I was lucky by that other variation of this challenge. But this time I tried 8 or 10 random maps, all really bad. I was almost tempted to start the same map again, but I really don't like playing the same map several times, so I gave it one more chance; said to myself; I'll make one more try, if the map is really bad I'll use the same again! Just for fun I tipped the number 123 and....

.........for a small mountain map this one is alright.

First picture, starting conditions.

You can see most of the settlement, as it looks now in the year 9 in the background.

Second picture, first years efforts

There were only 4 children from the start, but 3 of them were 7 or 8 years old, so I started with the school. Everyone will be educted in this settlement. The forester only plants the first 1-2 years.

Third picture, after two years, believe it or not; I do a bit of planning

The most important food source in this game will be the gatherer. Of cause there will also be as many fishers and hunters as possible, but the gatherers are the most productive one, also producing fruit and vegetables. That's the reason I put the gatherers as good as I can on the map. In between there is a market place, a quarry, a mine, homes........I will try to steal as little land as possible from the gatherers.

A special note to my friend @irrelevant ; there are no barns yet! They all have to use the chart. I am a bit short of everything, This is on purpose, other things are more important at the start.

Fourth picture, year 7

Now I have the barn, and a marketplace and the stores are slowly increasing. I've also built the city hall. There is no real hurry to do that, but I had enough building materials and the builders had nothing else to do, so why not. I don't really need the quarry yet, but build it now for the same reason.

I've played until year 9; 43 citizens, no need for speed in this game

Trizeropz

no farming? condition 3 dont said this^^
good luck and have fun:) will join soon

chillzz

Quote from: Trizeropz on April 08, 2015, 06:32:53 AM
no farming? condition 3 dont said this^^
good luck and have fun:) will join soon
with hard start there are no seeds, without trading.. you will never acquire seeds anyway.
so basically it is always no farming, no need to mention it in the starting conditions  @Trizeropz ;)

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Nilla

I have decided to go on with this blog. I wrote about this town at the challenge. It went very well, I played with it for a while, took some nomads........
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=833.msg14787#msg14787

I reached a population of 1474, OK with the help of nomads, but still sustainable

Now I will try the same map again, with the latest mod from our favorite moddler; The New Medieval Town from @RedKetchup.

To make it a little bit exciting I have decided to make the starting conditions very tough; I will allow 1 building of each; gatherer, hunter, forester. That's all of basic production sites. No fisher, no farming, no pasture animals, no herbalist, no mine, no quarry. I have no idea if it's possible to build up a settlement with these limits. Maybe if you let it grow slow and have a lot of trading ports. This game will have an extra punishment; it's a small mountain map, so there isn't much iron and stones lying around.  :-\

I like tricky games, so I really look forward of this.

I'll show you a little what I made yesterday but first a picture of the first unmodded version.

First picture

First attempt. different graphs

Second picture

First new building stands; a new school. Everyone will be educated in this town. I'm sorry to say; there will not be many medieval buildings before the big boats arrive (population 150)

Third picture

Look at the hunters home in a row! The forester also wanted a home that's connected to his workplace. But I found no way to combine it with the gatherer.

Note:sorry I notice now as I want to add the picture that this was the blog about my second mountain settlement. But now I´ve written it here so I will go on here!  :( :-[

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Haven't built many yet, have to wait for the big ships. (if I get there at all). The main problem now is logs. I have harvested all there is to harvest on that map (unless some places on the other side of the river but I suppose the bridge cost more wood than the trees I can chop down).

I will play a bit more tonight, maybe I can say more tomorrow.

Nilla

My settlement is still alive! Not comfortable and safe but so far; it works.

I let it grow slow; 80 inhabitants in year 19. I've decided to build 6 trading ports for the start. With 1-2 more it would maybe have been safer, but you must be able to fill them with trading goods. My main trading good is firewood and sometimes it's even hard to fill the 6 of them. I don't get enough logs. I've built one brewery, so if I have enough apples, I make some ale for sale. I also sell a little venison.

Still @RedKetchup, I cannot say much about your medieval buildings. Can't afford them yet. I've built a wind mill, just to let the imported corn last a little bit longer. For the same reason, I will build a butcher as soon as I have enough wood.

First picture

Almost my whole little trading settlement. You can see that the food store is far from safe, but still no one has to starve.

Second picture

The graph shows the main problem: logs. This is the biggest disadvantage with the small mountain map: The natural forests are clear cut. If I increase the number of foresters to 3 (or 4), the productivity of the gatherer goes down. And food is the important thing. So far, I can buy all the food the merchants bring, but if not; I might have to change the priority.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on April 25, 2015, 03:57:54 AM
Still @RedKetchup, I cannot say much about your medieval buildings. Can't afford them yet. I've built a wind mill, just to let the imported corn last a little bit longer. For the same reason, I will build a butcher as soon as I have enough wood.

yeah i cant compete with your cheap wooden house over all the map ^^ haha

assobanana76

I've never played maps mountain ..
and you're making me watering mouth!!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

First picture, year 27

It took some time but finally! 150 inhabitants and look! Just what I needed!  :)

Second picture

@RedKetchup; I don't want to complain but I have never seen this before; I built the  Medieval school immediately, so that the first child could be educated and now, I notice; there is "only" 99% educated. I didn't take any nomads. It just happened; one child didn't want to go to school! Why? The school is not full, only 16 students. No house is very far away. You can see on the violet graph, that it happened about three years ago. Can anyone explain this?

Third picture

It happened again! Now I found the unwilling child. Belin! Her 18 year old sister goes to school, maybe that family cannot afford more than one child so long in school. What is this?

You can see the start of my first small medieval settlement. There is a fruit store and the rest will go on, as soon as there is a stone delivery. I just noticed that the apartment of the brewer only need two stones. That's why it looks a bit weird at the brewery.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on April 27, 2015, 03:54:27 AM

@RedKetchup; I don't want to complain but I have never seen this before; I built the  Medieval school immediately, so that the first child could be educated and now, I notice; there is "only" 99% educated. I didn't take any nomads. It just happened; one child didn't want to go to school! Why? The school is not full, only 16 students. No house is very far away. You can see on the violet graph, that it happened about three years ago. Can anyone explain this?

i saw that happends quite often. dont worry. it is a bug in the game, something about the % and the decimals .00000000x

irrelevant

First picture, year 27

It took some time but finally! 150 inhabitants and look! Just what I needed!  :)

I love it when that happens  :)

Second picture

Third picture

It happened again! Now I found the unwilling child. Belin! Her 18 year old sister goes to school, maybe that family cannot afford more than one child so long in school. What is this?

You can see the start of my first small medieval settlement. There is a fruit store and the rest will go on, as soon as there is a stone delivery. I just noticed that the apartment of the brewer only need two stones. That's why it looks a bit weird at the brewery.

I have never seen this happen before either. If there is a school with room in it, the child turning 10 should always become a student, no matter the distance from home to school.

rkelly17

. . . .

Sounds like it's time for @RedKetchup to produce a Medieval Truant Officer!   ;D

RedKetchup