News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Some ideas for mods and some questions about making mods

Started by tanypredator, May 09, 2016, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

@kid1293 The index is only used to assign the particle system to the event by the position in the particle description. That's all. The index for burning is defined in the common.src as "int _particleIndex = 0;". So the first in the description is used for burning and the second for working like this...

ParticleDescription particle
{
   ParticleAttachment _systems
   [
      //Burning
      {
         Time _fadeInOutTime = 2.0;
         bool _addOnCreate = false;
         bool _addOnNotify = false;
         Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\Fire\FireSmall.rsc";
      }
      //Working
      {
         bool _addOnCreate = false;
         Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\ChimneySmoke\ChimneySmoke.rsc";
         String _attachNode = "smoke";
      }
   ]
}

The point for smoke (attachNote) is another think. If you attach the fire effect to working (second position), the whole houses are under fire and it looks like the effect ignores the point. I suppose the reason is the large particle size of the fire effect. Set it to 0 and the fire should come directly from the chimney.

A thread for Blender would be nice. I'm a noob in Blender but need to use it.

kid1293

So by editing Common.rsc you may get additional index points?
That would be nice. But is it possible?

Tom Sawyer

@kid1293 You mean additional points for smoking from the building like two chimneys? This has nothing to do with the index and we can't define additional attachNotes. Maybe we can make more smoke points in the model. (?) I don't think so, but let's try it.

kid1293

First - I now the fire effect will be extreme large if I put it on a smoke-point
but I edited a copied/renamed fire-particle file to a very small slow fire.

Second - too bad, no additional attachNotes (isn't it attachNodes?)

Third - A second smoke must be possible:
under '   ParticleAttachment _systems '
you can create a new smoke paragraph with {  } (start/end)
and just assign 'smoke1' to that.
And you just define another point in the mesh.
...or no?

Tom Sawyer

1) Cool, you made a new particle system. Its just a texture, animated by a text file. All we need is to understand the parameters.

2) The attacheNode is the param to say the compiler, that's the name of the point in the model to locate the partical system. No way for an additional attacheNode in the source file.

3) I think that's impossible. A new item in the particle description would be ignored. Because index0 on burning, index1 on working and your new index2 on nothing. Lets try but it would be strange if it works. The only way would be a second point in the mesh with the same name ("smoke"). So the game could attach 2 points by the attachNode "smoke". But it would be strange too.^^

RedKetchup

Quote from: kid1293 on May 17, 2016, 01:49:22 PM
and just assign 'smoke1' to that.
And you just define another point in the mesh.
...or no?

in the mesh you put another dummy name smoke1... smoke2.... smoke3.... how many you want

in your building.rsc in template, in the particle system function, you put a copy of the paragraph with smoke1... smoke2... smoke3...
(like my Old Smokery, there is 4 smoke points - 1 at each window of my smokery tower)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

Thanks @RedKetchup. That's interesting and i have to correct myself. The rule is index0 on burning and index1..n on working. So we should be able to attach many different particle systems to a building. For example smoke from the chimney and a small fire effect on the workplace of a blacksmith.

kid1293

Don't forget BoatWake and CropInfestation

They're just modifications of the particle system but it shows that it is possible modify.

DesoPL

Personally i could love some new models for vanila town hall and others buildings. :)

kid1293

@tanypredator
QuoteAnd I also want to make grapes in my second mod, so I tried to understand the tree example and I have few questions. There is one texture .png file with both winter and summer appearance of branches. How does it chooses one of them? And would it work if I change the form of the tree - for grapevine must be bended and horizontal at the top. Does it use Material\Billboard\BillboardMaterial.rsc to change between winter and summer appearance?

Change the form -
All I can say is that the game uses a transparent texture so it is probably overlayed and you
should be free to bend it. But try to keep it as far as the original picture go, you never know if
there will be branches modelled to raise up.

Winter/Summer - I never seen any discussion about it. I simply don't know. Experiment.  ;)

tanypredator

Sometimes I get distracted from my current "tent" mod and look heavily on this Material\Billboard\BillboardMaterial.rsc  ;D It is all about graphics - of which I know nothing. I suppose that at the spring green texture emerges to "cover" the branch texture, and at autumn it changes gamma, then vanishes. And I suppose that it might be possible to inject a third texture to be between them (or also the fourth for a long red and yellow autumn), but it is a task for really experienced modder.

RedKetchup

i am far from to be enough experience moddler to go start to play with that ! lol

kid1293

Neither am I, but if we all try different angles it could solved?

@RedKetchup - Is it ok to put a new message board here in
'Suggestions and Mod Ideas'  that will cover some basic modding
and with focus on Blender? I don't know where to place it.  :)

RedKetchup

tanypredator

Finally, thanks to the great help of kid1293, here is my first mod - the tent with fireplace. The fire is still not ideal, but it really requires a long experimentation. But now I am sure that it is possible to make any kind of fire or smoke - different sizes and colors - by changing the parameters of ParticleSystem .rsc file.