News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 10, 2015, 09:38:22 AM
This is definitely not right. I've never had Banished use even close to 4Gb. Are you having this problem only with the one save file or with all save files? If it is only this one, the file is damaged and will have to be abandoned. If it is with all your save files I would recommend a re-install of Banished (but be sure to save your mods in a different location). After the re-install of the game re-introduce your mods one at a time to make sure that one of the mod files is not buggy or damaged.

I would also recommend staying away from introducing a new version of a mod to an older saved game. It can work and often does, but when it doesn't work . . . . well, let's just say that trouble can ensue. I start a new town (you can use the map seed of the previous town) every time I update my mods. I also back up towns every time I update mods. A friend calls this the "belt AND suspenders" method.  ;)

The worst case scenario is that the problem is caused by aging hardware. Are you having other problems with other programs on this computer? Have you backed up all your files? I've always found that the day I let my backups get out of date is the day the HDD decides to fail. Back ups are your friend--and in some cases your salvation.
So .. the problem of initial loading (10-15 minutes before I see the white screen "Shining Rock Software") is always present ..
the problem of slow loading is only for the city saved (80° year with 500 population). as also to the crash continues (especially by clicking F12 for screenshots).

It does not exist in a file that is written to the reasons for the crash?

It could be due to a slow internet connection (I'm struggling with the phone company to switch from DSL to fiber)
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

Quote from: kee on August 10, 2015, 01:17:50 PM
Amen to backups. My computer completely lost its hard drive this spring (it wouldn't map), of course a couple of weeks after last backup. Fortunately my accounting and other buisiness data are mostly remote server based. Had to reconstruct ctop rotation/fertilizer plan othervise it was all there.
As for assobanana76 's trouble I suspect that someone has paid of that savefile. It is corrupt.
Unfortunately, last night I could not try to start the rescue .. it's a bad time!
but I hope to do it asap!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 10, 2015, 02:17:03 PM
It really sounds like a malloc call gone wild (malloc ::= memory allocation).  A simple loop in code can do this, when it thinks it has failed and tries again and again until the process is scrubbed on memory overflow.

I asked about your swap space (backing store) because on some systems a memory overflow glitch like this will also fill up your backing store with bogus pages all marked "dirty".

This is an operating system kind of screw up, but since there is so much procedure created by modders in this game, it could happen to anyone, any time.  This is why each and every mod needs an intensive test before you accept it.
the problem of filling the RAM also happens with Chrome (which start with a simple Google home page opens 10 processes).
when the game crashes, it will close but remains an ongoing process Application-Steam "etc" .exe
I have to force shutdown in TaskManager or warning Steam tells me it can not be restarted because still running.

A Nonny Moose

A horrible thought, but when was the last time you did a full depth malware scan? 

At the moment my Firefox instance is taking 403.4 MB and has 1.4 GB on the backing store (not in use).  My cores are running about 20% each.  There are many, many processes in the list but only two are active -- firefox and the display driver.

You might try a different browser and see if this problem also occurs.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 11, 2015, 06:01:23 AM
A horrible thought, but when was the last time you did a full depth malware scan? 

At the moment my Firefox instance is taking 403.4 MB and has 1.4 GB on the backing store (not in use).  My cores are running about 20% each.  There are many, many processes in the list but only two are active -- firefox and the display driver.

You might try a different browser and see if this problem also occurs.

do you believe that I have a malware??????  :o
TRUE THOUGHT HORRIBLE !!  :o :o
Use only ever Chrome but, if I'm not mistaken, it just happens with it.
Firefox and Opera should open only one process ..
But God only knows what my wife could have clicked trying to watch movies on streaming sites !!  ;D
tonight I try to run Spybot-Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware ...
I use AVG 2015. I'll try also with it!
if I do not have the bad results I try to uninstall and reinstall Chrome ..
do not you think, then, that the slow pace of Banished can be attributed only to 1.5Mb DSL connection?

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 11, 2015, 06:32:21 AM
<snip>.
do not you think, then, that the slow pace of Banished can be attributed only to 1.5Mb DSL connection?
Banished is not an on-line game.  I have no problems loading the executable and loading up a village.  My time to get going is not at all in the minutes range, but more in seconds.

Unfortunately, because it runs only under wine (Windows Executive) on Linux, and wine has problems with the mutlitaksing set up, it crawls on my machine, but I persevere.

You should find that you can disconnect your Internet when running Banished.  It is a stand alone program.

chillzz

i don't exactly know your computer specs except for the ram (4gb), so i can't say what is happening to it..
but indeed no need for internet connection to play banished at all.

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 11, 2015, 06:32:21 AM
do you believe that I have a malware? ??? ??  :o
TRUE THOUGHT HORRIBLE !!  :o :o
Use only ever Chrome but, if I'm not mistaken, it just happens with it.
Firefox and Opera should open only one process ..
But God only knows what my wife could have clicked trying to watch movies on streaming sites !!  ;D
tonight I try to run Spybot-Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware ...

it could be that indeed.  I've seen computers with windows have alot of problems with chrome and firefox, due to memory allocation / memory leak. rebooting once in a while might help. all modern browsers open a new process for each and every tab (page) you open.. the more open tabs the more memory it uses too. plugins like adobe flash/shockwave, quicktime etc. all slow down the computer when used on a page. so basically don't have too much windows open at the same time ;)

most people won't agree with me, but IE actually is usually better on low end machines, since it basically is the windows explorer with html capabilities..
but that has nothing to do with the slow banished ;)

might kill all processes not related to system and try to see how banished runs then.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

A Nonny Moose

@chillzz : when I run banished, the only active processes are the wine executive, the display driver and the game.  The problem is with the wine multitasking, which I suspect doesn't really exist.  My wine log shows the system having a conniption and converting the multitasking from one format to another.

Right now, wine development is considerably behind, and with Windows 10 out, I suspect they'll be whirling about like a set of Dervishes for the next year or so.

assobanana76

my big doubt about the connection that, playing Steam, I must necessarily be connected (unless I go offline, but in this case I do not know what might happen than screenshots and saves)
I can not start Banished without before launching Steam ..

anyway..
that's what I did last night:

- I turned on the computer  ;D
- defrag
- CCleaner
- AVG scan (do not find threats)
- Scan Spybot-Search & Destroy (not found threats)
- AD-Aware scan (do not find threats)
- McAfee scan (do not find threats)
- Copy folder "Saves" and "WinData"
- Uninstalled Banished
- Re-installed Banished (do not know why there were still saves and mods in their respective folders)
- Launched Banished

and after 10 minutes (just before it boot) the situation was this:

assobanana76

when it started I tried to load the saves that had the strange icon and loading took forever ..
initially dark it lit slowly in 5 minutes and has become selectable after 2 ..
I tried to do simple things like zooming with the mouse wheel and it would take one minute for every shot ..

then I deleted all the saves and mods folders (but I have a copy on the desktop), uninstalled Banished, launched downloading ..
and after many blasphemies, I closed and went to sleep!
today I finish the download and see what happens starting from "0" ..

RedKetchup

i see the x32 bits.... cant be better with 64x ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 13, 2015, 03:22:36 AM
i see the x32 bits.... cant be better with 64x ?

I do not know if my old PC can support a 64bit ..

Paeng

For testing I would also try to run Banished completely without Steam - specially without that "Application-steam-x32.exe"...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

assobanana76

Quote from: Paeng on August 13, 2015, 05:43:18 AM
For testing I would also try to run Banished completely without Steam - specially without that "Application-steam-x32.exe"...

and how?
My PC is 32bit ..
Can I run it with the 64bit version?

How can I launch the game without launching Steam?
It is an automatic thing ..

Paeng

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 13, 2015, 05:46:29 AMMy PC is 32bit...
That's fine, Banished comes with both x32 and x64 versions... the point is that its real name is "Application-x32.exe" (without the steam part).

QuoteHow can I launch the game without launching Steam?
Oh, I'm sorry - did you not buy it from Shining Rock, or GoG, or Humble Bundle?
No standalone, drm-free installer straight from the maker?  :'(

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]