News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 01, 2015, 10:39:59 AM
Something I have noticed and find slightly puzzling.  Modern games with free 3D cameras are theoretically able to handle objects on more than one level in the Z direction.  Banished doesn't seem to be able to do this.  I have wanted to put something on the heights of some hills at times, and it just doesn't happen.

Is it me, or does the whole works really want every object on the same plane?

Unfortunately it works like that, which can be easily seen with roads for instance. A slight elevation in the land, and a road through will be like a valley. It was easier to code I guess. Would be lovely with towers on mountains and stuff like that.

A Nonny Moose

I have yet to see any "3D" game that could handle heights properly.  I expect that the reason is that the computer runs out of CPU cycles and/or GPU power if this is attempted in anything except an FPS.  When it comes to vicarious placement of objects, it seems the problem is beyond present hardware/software/programming capability.  I suppose it is like playing 3D Chess (which does, in fact, exist).  In 3D Chess you've got to have the King in check in six directions in order to get a checkmate.  Not as simple as it sounds, but not as complex as good old two dimensional Go.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

RedKetchup

ummmm the video card...... is not even listed anymore

take at least a GTX (not GT)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

pfff!!!
that's not enough for Anno 2205!
it want  Intel Core i5

RedKetchup

Scheda Grafica: Nvidia Geforce GTX750 con 2 GB di memoria dedicata.

that is much better !!!

73th best video card :) retailed at 99,99$

(the other one wasnt even listed since years and didnt worth 5$ ^^)

Gatherer

Where is @assobanana76 lately? He's been missing (and missed) for over a month now?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Gatherer on November 13, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
Where is @assobanana76 lately? He's been missing (and missed) for over a month now?

yeah me too i was wondering lately. i know i made alot and alot of things in NMT2.0 since laste time he logged on  :-X

A Nonny Moose

While setting up a brewer today, it occurred to me that the game needs at least one distiller who can take the product of the brewer and distill it down to either a whiskey (wheat), vodka (potato, wheat), or and eau de vie (poire guilliaume, peach brandy, etc.).  Also, grain crops need to be added as well as some auxiliaries: barley, hops.  Can't really make good ale without hops, now can you?

I am not a coder any more, but perhaps someone has already done this?
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Bobbi

Colonial charter has distillery. Not very profitable as you need glassware as well as grain to make it, and need sand for glass so need shore house for sand, then glass maker who needs furnace fuel plus sand, so you need a fuel refinery to make the furnace fuel....you get the picture. By the time I had all that set up, I realized that the 12 you get in trade for that was not nearly as profitable as just making ale or wine. Sigh. But it gives lots of people jobs! If you like long production chains, it's fun if not profitable.

Bobbi

Maybe Sir @RedKetchup could be persuaded to make us a nice simple distillery that just needs grain, or grain plus water. Hops would be great, not sure how you make them. What are hops made from?

Tilleen

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bobbi on November 23, 2015, 07:38:11 PM
What are hops made from?

not sure.... up to date... Hops sound more a caracter' s name but not sure where i heard it... which TV show ^^

but i can check  :P

seems a crop plant but that can get as high as an orchard ^^

but in fact, seems not really that high but is more a rampant and it needs wood racks to get up. kinda like vines

Nilla

Sure hops are high, very high, much higher than wine, and grows very fast. The plant grows from scratch every year, opposite to wine and trees, to 5 meters or more and need logs to rack on. I have seen a lot of it. If you travel between southern Germany (where I lived for many years) and Sweden, you pass an area called Holledau, where the hops to all(?) German beer grows. A lot of "sticks" in winter a lot of green in summer. As far as I know, the cones are used for beer. :)