News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How to Install and Test the Banished ModKit

Started by scoutae4, October 14, 2023, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoutae4

Here is a tutorial in 3 parts on how to install the Banished Modkit for 2023. It's a lot of information but it should be very easy to follow. Let me know if you see any errors!

Part 1, THE PREREQUISITES

Since the ModKit is from 2017 you likely have most of what you'll need already installed on your system but let's take a closer look at what the developer has listed and break it down:

QuoteThe Banished toolkit requires Banished version 1.0.4 Beta or better. While the shipped game runs under Windows XP, the toolkit does not. The toolkit was developed and used under Windows 7. Other operating systems have not been heavily tested.

Make sure you have the most updated version of the game installed v1.0.7. If there are updates available for your OS and graphics card it's a good idea to do that too. I have installed the ModKit on both Windows 10 Home and Windows 11 Home and it seems to work fine with the exception of a small, solvable glitch that I will get to later.

QuoteThe toolkit requires all graphics SDKs that the game supports to properly compile shaders. At the moment DirectX 11 and DirectX 9 are required. OpenGL support will be required in new releases.

If you're not sure which DirectX you have installed on your system you can run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool: Enter "dxdiag" (without quotes) in the Windows search bar and wait a beat for the popup report. Your version will be on the last line. If you have DirectX 12 you're fine as it is backward compatible.

QuoteThe data files from your purchased game are required.

We will take care of this in Step 2.

QuoteThe DirectX End User Runtime will have to be installed.

I don't think you need this if you are running Windows 10 and up, but it won't hurt anything to check so go ahead and download and execute the file:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Give it permission to make changes on your device, accept the agreement, and hit the NEXT button. UNCHECK the Bing Bar offer (sneaky Bing, NO!) and hit next again. The setup will likely come back with a notification that: "DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version blah blah blah..." Hit the Finish button as you are done with this part.

QuoteThe Visual Studio 2012 Redist is also required. It can be downloaded here: ...

Before you download this, check to see if you already have it installed. Enter "Control Panel" in the Windows search bar, select Programs, Programs and Features:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributation (x64) – 11.0.61030 (you will need this version installed if you have a 64bit system)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributation (x86) – 11.0.61030 (this is the version you'll need if you have an older 32bit system)

The newer versions of Microsoft Visual C++ are not backward compatible to the 2012 so you really will need this version installed. Windows 11 Home has the 2012 Redist preinstalled so I'm guessing most of you will already have it, but if you need to install it here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

QuoteFor machines (mostly laptops) that have both an Intel card and Nvidia card, make sure you set the tool and game executables to use the high powered video card, rather than the integrated one.

I'm not sure about this one... if this is your set up and you need help or have figured it out, let me know and I'll try to update this guide.

QuoteThe game uses the font FrancophilSans. You may need it installed depending on what you are modding.
– self evident

Not on the list but equally important, you will need a Text Editor. If you don't already work with one do a little research for a freeware editor (I use Visual Studio Code) or you can use Notepad which is preinstalled on Windows systems. I personally don't like Notepad as it's hard on the eyes and a bit clunky to work with but this is of course your choice.

Lastly, you will not need these to install and test the ModKit but if you intend to create models you will eventually need a graphic software such as Photoshop (or GIMP, which is freeware), as well as a 3D modeling software such as Blender (freeware).

Alright, now you should be ready to install the ModKit with confidence!! On to Part 2... :)

scoutae4

Part 2, INSTALLING THE MODKIT

~Edited to add images because I finally figured out how!~

1. The first thing you need to do is create a folder where you want to work from. Unless you have a reason to work elsewhere, go ahead a create a folder in your C drive and call it BanishedKit (if you want to name it something else don't include spaces, underscore or any other special characters as this can cause problems later on). Download and extract BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910 into your newly created folder from the Shining Rock Software site: https://shiningrocksoftware.com/game/mods/

2. Now source these (4) game files from the WinData folder in your original game:

If you have the Steam version of the game you'll find your game WinData folder here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Banished\WinData

and for non Steam builds you should find it in

C:\Program Files\Shining Rock Software\Banished\WinData

Copy these (4) files into your BanishedKit\bin\WinData folder.

3. Return to the BanishedKit folder and run the "BuildResources" batch file by double clicking it. It will take a little while to run through and it should let you know if there are any install issues. If the batch does not initiate on double-click, right click the file and select, "Run as administrator", accept the permission request, and it should execute. Ignore the BuildExamples for now.

4. If everything went well, launch the ModKit from: \bin\x64\Application-x64-profile.exe (or x32 if that's what system you're running). The developer's version should run as normal!*

* In my tests on Windows 10 and 11, the ModKit would launch just fine but it would crash if I tried to QUIT instead of EXIT. It seems like it's less likely to happen if you have a saved game. Weird quirk, but the solve was easy so noted here in case this happens to you. EXIT instead of QUIT and/or working with a saved game should eliminate the problem. My first install run through was very glitchy I think because I was trying to force install outdated software I didn't need and I might have corrupted a DLL file. There could be any number of reasons why really, BUT if you've tried everything and you just can't get it to launch nicely, you can still use the ModKit to create mods and test them through your purchased game (thanks to @kid1293  for the tip). 

HappyLeighEverAfter

ok all done!
thank you for such careful and detailed instructions. very easy to follow.
edit
i have both a steam version of banished, and one i bought directly from the shining rock site ( i wanted to EXTRA support the game that day)

is there any merit in a plan to re-install my steam version and use that to mod on? i.e to having two versions of the game installed?
(i play on the standalone version i have just in a shining rock folder i made on my C)

scoutae4

Part 3, TESTING THE MODKIT

~Edited to add some images~

1. We are going to make the Apiary mod included with the kit. Let's create a new folder in the BanishedKit folder called MyMods - this will be where your future creations will live. Note that you don't have to work with this structure but for now this is a good way to keep all your files together.

2. Copy the "building" folder located in BanishedKit\example and place it in your MyMods folder. These are the files to create the Apiary, so let's rename it from "building" to "Apiary" (without quotes). The file structure you see in the Apiary folder is pretty much the same as it will be for most building mods.

3. With your text editor, we are going to create (3) batch (.bat) files in this folder named as below, without quotes:

Save the first as, "1 build.bat":

..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /build apiaryResources.rsc:resource /pathres ../MyMods/Apiary /pathdat ../MyMods/Apiary/bin

Save the second as "2 ref.bat":

..\..\bin\x64\Application-x64-profile.exe /ref apiaryResources.rsc:resource /pathres ../MyMods/Apiary /pathdat ../MyMods/Apiary/bin

And finally, save the third as "3 mod.bat"

..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /mod Package.rsc:apiary /pathres ../MyMods/Apiary /pathdat ../MyMods/Apiary/bin

4. Double click to run the "1 build.bat" file. It should run without issues if you've copied the text exactly. You should now see two new folders created in Apiary: "bin" and "Build"

5. When you initiate the "2 ref.bat" it will launch your modkit and you should see that the Apiary is now available from the FOOD menu! Note that some modders do not include this line and simply merge the "build" and "run" examples into one batch on two lines like so:

..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /build ModNameResources.rsc:resource /pathres ../MyMods/ModName /pathdat ../MyMods/ModName/bin
..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /mod Package.rsc:ModName /pathres ../MyMods/ModName /pathdat ../MyMods/ModName/bin

However, the developer notes that before a mod is packaged, you have to explicitly tell the game to load the resources using the /ref parameter (as in the "2 ref.bat" file) unless the resources were simply overridden and therefore no reference is required since the game references them already. So there are circumstances when it will be required, but as you can see, it may also be helpful when you are building a new model and just want to make sure your creation isn't upside down and inside out before you package the mod for the game. :P I think there is another way to quick preview your mods but I have to research this a bit more.

6. Now run the "3 mod.bat" file to create the mod package. If it runs without issue, your new mod should already be enabled in your "Mods" when you next launch the Kit and the shareable "apiary.PKM" file should be in your BanishedKit\bin\WinData folder.

Hope this works for you!

scoutae4

Quote from: HappyLeighEverAfter on October 14, 2023, 09:27:38 PM
ok all done!
thank you for such careful and detailed instructions. very easy to follow.

Super!! That is what I was hoping for :)

HappyLeighEverAfter

for step 2, these are the .pkg files called, data0 and data1 and patch0 and patch1, i am assuming?

(i also have some mods in that folder) should i move those mods out?

scoutae4

Quotefor step 2, these are the .pkg files called, data0 and data1 and patch0 and patch1, i am assuming?

Correct! (I've added an image to the tutorial to make this more clear)

Quote(i also have some mods in that folder) should i move those mods out?

No just leave your mod files in your game WinData folder so you can keep playing with them, and only *copy* those 4 files into your BanishedKit WinData folder :) When you run the BuildResources batch it creates a bunch of folders in there and they can /should stay there I think.

HappyLeighEverAfter

ok i may have to unplug my extra monitors.

the profile.exe seemed to run ok but was  s p r e a d  o u t  on both monitors and very hard to navigate, lol!

scoutae4

Oops I missed this one:

Quoteis there any merit in a plan to re-install my steam version and use that to mod on? i.e to having two versions of the game installed? (i play on the standalone version i have just in a shining rock folder i made on my C)

You shouldn't need to do this if the ModKit is behaving properly. If it was buggy, then ya, you might want to do it this way so you can test mods on a Work version and keep that separate from your Play version. As far as I understand, the ModKit lives on your desktop and doesn't really interact with the Steam or Desktop version. It's an independent entity.

Edited to note: except that you can see all your saved game files in the ModKit

scoutae4

@HappyLeighEverAfter what OS are you working with if you don't mind my asking?

HappyLeighEverAfter

Quote from: scoutae4 on October 14, 2023, 09:50:19 PM
As far as I understand, the ModKit lives on your desktop and doesn't really interact with the Steam or Desktop version. It's an independent entity.

that's what i felt like when i started using the standalone copy i bought. it neither knew about nor cared about any old steam version. very discreet, lol, i like it.

i did not make it to the apiary part yet, i have a show going on my 3rd monitor and am too tired to get up and unplug them. but i am hoping to finish the apiary section of the tutorial first thing tomorrow. thanks for all your good feedback, and i am glad i had the good timing tonight, to pop over to WoB when i did!

HappyLeighEverAfter

i don't mind sorry i didn't take time to crop

scoutae4

Thanks for the feedback @HappyLeighEverAfter ! Have a great rest of your night  :)

catty-cb

I would love to see this over in the Simtropolis Tutorial Section as well .... I have asked and all banished tutorials can be included over here

https://community.simtropolis.com/omnibus/

I would love us to have our own Banished category and the reason we can't isn't anything to do with the game ... its unfortunately a technical issue with the site software and so far all attempts at adding in more categories have failed so the categories in it are what we are stuck with, it just means anything that isn't SC4 has to go in the "Other Games" category.

If you look at this one

https://community.simtropolis.com/omnibus/other-games/creating-a-3d-model-house-in-blender-and-making-it-available-in-the-banished-game-part-4-by-discrepancy-r876/

you can see I've added a comment at the end asking for all questions to go to Kid's Q&A section on his club, but people can still add comments to the tutorials