News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

QuoteThe Coal Bell Pit is easily built, though will only last for 350 production (vanilla Iron Mine has life of 2000) it is also slower than the vanilla mine, it is upgrade-able once to a slightly faster mine with the pulley system, this extends life by 500. After which it will be depleted and remain as a derelict hole covered with wooden boards, same as when demolished. The first version will require a minimum of 3 miners to operate - one down in the hole, the other 2 are required to hoist the coal and miner out ;)

It seems to contain very little material. Your smelter is large, industrial looking. The production ought to be high. How high do you plan the production? I don't like if the mine is empty after only a few years.

I like the Nordic way of mining. It makes sense to me. In a vanilla game, I seldom build mines. In a Nordic game, I always build mines.

Abandoned

@Discrepancy any chance of getting a possible release date for the deco mod with tunnel and mining carts  :) please.  No pressure but would like to take them North with me soon.  thank you

despo_20

Mining wagons look amazing!

Discrepancy

Quote from: Abandoned on May 10, 2017, 12:05:26 PM
@Discrepancy any chance of getting a possible release date for the deco mod with tunnel and mining carts  :) please.  No pressure but would like to take them North with me soon.  thank you

It won't be long. A few more days hopefully.
It isn't going to be a separate mod, at least not for now. This will all be a single mod: DS Blast Furnace & Industry Mining.

and for those that thought the 2 mines I showed you were too small an output, I have increased their maximum production/life. They are still primitive, so slow production rate and do still eventually run out - well, they all run out, nothing lasts forever. All of the mines will have a use-by-date eventually, even this one I made to keep you hopefully happy with larger output:

It's the Thadd Surrel & family Industry Mine (they also have a market & storage in the mod), matches well with the Blast Furnace, it is capable of a maximum life of 55,000. Extract Coal or Iron Ore. 1-55 miners. Slightly shorter work-time & work-required to extract minerals. It sits on a slightly narrower but slightly higher footprint than the vanilla mine.

Paeng

Wow, what a beast  :D

Does the black smoke have the same density on all buildings or does it vary a bit with the different sized buildings? Just wondering, because the black stuff can really spread quite far...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Discrepancy

:) that smoke is just temporary. It will be changed to a normal chimney smoke though slightly altered. The mine isn't a smelter/furnace or coke oven, so doesn't need the giant plumes of black smoke, I agree.

Glad you like it.
I'm finishing the upgrade options now: the mine will upgrade 3 times in the vanilla/cc version of the mod requiring a mixture of construction items each time.
In the north version it will have a constant cost of logs until a certain point before requiring an upgrade, it will then cost candles & logs for constant operation afterwards until it's ultimate demise.

Abandoned

@Discrepancy , thank you, this mod is really looking good  :)  Will it be compatible with The North? I was hoping for separate deco mod of those pieces but if not I can work around it.  No rush on my account, I am still trying to come up with a mod combination for the next map that doesn't freeze up.  LOL it must just be too cold up there in the north for my mod combos.

edit, you just answered North compatibility -  smiley face

edit again, oops, new flags my game not updated. Oh well.

Paeng

Quote from: Abandoned on May 11, 2017, 06:30:42 AMoops, new flags my game not updated.

Come on, take the plunge...   :D

Can't keep our modders working "backwards", they're like race horses raring to go... even the North will have new limits sooner or later (I hope)   ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Maldrick

"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Abandoned

@Paeng, LOL not plunging till Luke's update, don't want to take the plunge twice.

ancientmuse

Quote from: Abandoned on May 11, 2017, 11:03:10 AM
@Paeng, LOL not plunging till Luke's update, don't want to take the plunge twice.

Actually all you have to do is make a copy of your game folder, rename it to something like "Banished 107" and then install the update in that folder... it literally only takes a few minutes.

This way you can have a Banished 106 game with all of its mods, and a separate Banished 107 game with all of its mods.  No need to get rid of one to have the other and you can choose which game you want to play whenever you want.

I have 4 separate game files for my Banished game and make shortcuts to my desktop for each one:

- Banished 106
- Banished 107
- Banished CC Journey
- Banished Nordic North 5

Each one has their own mods and I pick and choose which mods I want to add for that specific Banished version.

(Actually I have a Banished 104 beta folder also, but I never play that one anymore)

I prefer doing it that way for each update just in case something is seriously wrong with the update and its too buggy to play... then I can just go back and play the original version previous to that instead.

Seriously, it only takes a few minutes to set up a separate Banished 107 folder for a completely separate game from 106 !

Give it a try.... I think you'll be happy to discover a great new way of playing Banished games.

;D

Abandoned

@ancientmuse , thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind for when Luke updates. I would like to get cc and its mods out of my main data folder.  I'm hoping we get more cc stand alones.  When you made the copy and updated it, did the mods stay in the same order you had them?

ancientmuse

Quote from: Abandoned on May 11, 2017, 02:31:38 PM
@ancientmuse , thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind for when Luke updates. I would like to get cc and its mods out of my main data folder.  I'm hoping we get more cc stand alones.  When you made the copy and updated it, did the mods stay in the same order you had them?

If you keep all the mods as is when you copy it over, then yes they'll stay in the same order because your basically making an exact duplicate of the other game folder.

Otherwise, you can delete all of the mods from the new folder and start from scratch adding in whatever mods you want.  The new game will only have the specific mods for that particular game folder and, interestingly enough, if you add a bunch of the same mods as the other folder (but only some and not others) they'll still sit in the same order that they appeared in your old game folder too.

Also note:  all 106 mods work in 107 (I've tried all of them) without any problems, so if you want to keep everything you have already just simply copy your entire game folder (and rename it of course) then all of your mods with be the same and will show in the same order on your mod list.

Easy peasy !

Maldrick

@ancientmuse Really glad you mentioned this as I've been thinking about having separate instances of the game like this.  Haven't tried it yet as I'm using the steam version and thinking I'm going to pick up a drm-free version in a couple weeks when I build my new box.  Great to see others are doing it with no problems.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

QueryEverything

Quote from: ancientmuse on May 11, 2017, 01:34:13 PM

Actually all you have to do is make a copy of your game folder, rename it to something like "Banished 107" and then install the update in that folder... it literally only takes a few minutes.

{{snipped}}

;D

Do you run Steam @ancientmuse ?  If so, ho does Steam cope?

I purchased Banished when it was first released on Humble Bumble and when I came back to it last year I installed, then linked it to Steam.
Now I'd like to run the game without Steam as a backup :)  But haven't figured out how to get them to be unentwined now.  :(  I know there is an answer somewhere, just haven't gotten into hunting it down as I'm happy with Steam, but really would like to have some other 'versions' installed, beta testing etc.

@Paeng hubby still has customers who ask for version F, even though it's 10 yrs old now - backwards compatibility is not an option, we were good though, all our products was in dual format for 2yrs, but it was costing more to offer the service so we ended up just new version only.    I do have to wonder, if this is the modders holding back, what are we in for when the next version is in full release, oooo the mischief!  ;)  LOLOL
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]