News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

EMBX,i can answere that question. that is the main problem. if an item is flagged 1 way and CC flags it another, in a game there will be 2 different items.and 1 won't work as the other.this has happened. at the moment it happens with items still under the 1.06 tag and the same item under the new tags in a 1.07 mod. the player will produce charcoal that shows in the inventory but it will not work the same as the other charcoal.
   example: tanys flax is different that CC flax. hence any mod using her flax will not use CC flax. in game if you try to make clothing with a mod based on her flax, the building will not function.if you look at the TH inventory, it will show that you have flax. it will not show you why it won't work and that the flax is different.
   example 2: RED NMT not updated to 1.07 can make roof tiles. those tiles can be used to build TOM's nordic houses and school. once RED upgrades that mod to 1.07 any mod needing roof tiles that is 1.06 will no longer be useable. tto the game the tile will be different.
   i have had this in game. NECORA has charcoal from the pine mod. that charcoal would not work to make refined fuel in CC.nor would CC charcoal be used to boil NECORA's maple sap. on screen the game reads that you have charcoal. when playing, you find out buildings aren't functioning and processing.
      to me this is where the compatability of a mod matters. it also could ,depending on load order,cause a blank tag item at the trading post.
that is why i mentioned the stop burning coal mod. if that has to be updated to work with the new limit tags,it is a better fix.instead of having modders code each house,there should be a mod to override and stop them all from using coal or charcoal.keeping things the same stops confusion. if you put the charcoal under custom3 then i would recommend a line on the mod download page stating the mod will not work with CC.

embx61

Forgive me but I don't get the Industrial Fuel chain from CC at all.

Why make another chain to produce that stuff? It seems to me sometimes us modders (me included) just make stuff because we want to cram more stuff in the game and/or just want to appease to those who ask for that kind of stuff but gameplay wise it don't make much sense.
Is the produced coke and charcoal not enough as a Industrial Fuel and put those under the Custom3 flag/limit?
Then all the problems with the burning fuel in houses will be solved. Even when I make sometimes stuff what gameplay wise not do much I never would make another fuel chain above the other produced fuels as it serves no purpose at all.

Let take sand as an example, I gather sand and that sand is used in the glass works. I not even thinking about going to make just another chain in between and call it cleaned up sand or something what the glassworks then need instead of just sand. LOL It is overcomplicating to do stuff like that.

I don't want to steer into any trouble as I have great respect the BL team but they can have the wrong approach sometimes to. I just state my opinion on the Industrial Fuel chain in CC what make us other modders limited with our use of the Custom3 limit/flag.
Why make first charcoal out of logs and then make Industrial Fuel out of that charcoal? A bit over the top if you ask me.

It is even funnier that Industrial Fuel can also be created by just using Firewood as input.

So logs ===> (Firewood/Charcoal) = Fuel ===> (Industrial Fuel) = Fuel or Coal(Fuel) ===> (Coke)=Fuel ===> (Industrial Fuel)=Fuel to name just 2.

See, it is all Fuel, beside the logs, in the first place and 2 chains to produce Industrial Fuel is just too much IMHO were 1 chain will do to produce better fuels for industry.
So coal ===> Coke
Logs ===> Firewood/Charcoal and the coke and charcoal are then flagged as Industrial Fuel(Custom3)

I can understand that CC maybe have their reasons for the Industrial Fuel chain even when I don't see it. Maybe kralyerg can chime in and give his opinion on the matter.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on May 06, 2017, 06:43:57 AM
   example 2: RED NMT not updated to 1.07 can make roof tiles. those tiles can be used to build TOM's nordic houses and school. once RED upgrades that mod to 1.07 any mod needing roof tiles that is 1.06 will no longer be useable. tto the game the tile will be different.

it will be same in NMT3.0 ^^ NMT3.0: ClayChain  will still make rooftiles and rooftiles will be needed to upgrade the housing in NMT3.0: Residences and also the buildings and services in  the other parts.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Gatherer

I thought this debate about how everything just needs to be compatible with CC was to die after the modular toolbar. And now it's getting even worse. Doesn't make sense to me. Why does everything need to work together? And some people who are not modders even demand it (at least that's how it sounds to me).

Each modder has his/her own vision. And all of them are open to suggestions and I thank them for that because we players can be a bit crazy with the amount of ideas, suggestions and requests. Makes me wonder if we need a Banished anti-trust law that prevents every mod to be compatible with the game's community modding monopolist.

Perhaps harsh but that's how I see things regarding this matter.

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Gatherer on May 06, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
Each modder has his/her own vision. And all of them are open to suggestions and I thank them for that because we players can be a bit crazy with the amount of ideas, suggestions and requests.

haha agree ^^

embx61

I agree too that we all have our own visions but I thought we also try to be as compatible as possible.

The least I can do is throw it in the open instead of just going my own way (Just flag my charcoal Custom3) without mentioning it at all.
If I change my Charcoal to Custom3, and Tom Sawyer will probably too, we probably get overloaded with questions from people who also play CC why it is not working right.

I have stated my opinion and maybe BL will see in that that whole Industrial Fuel chain in CC is just too much overhead and other mods what are also using charcoal/coke don't want those fuels used to keep Bannies houses warm,because in CC it is flagged as Fuel/Woodfuel instead of custom3.

I am sure they have their reasons for Industrial Fuel, but it also possible it was a oversight it would create problems if other mods who also use charcoal/coke and not want them flagged as Fuel/WoodFuel.

brads3

i wasn't trying to demand anything. sorry if it sounded that way. i was trying to point out how and why conflicts happen with an item tagged 1 way and then the same item tagged another. it could happen with or without CC. it happens sometimes with the north even.i wwas actually trying to be informative.i have no idea why it was done that way.i seldom grow large enough to need much of the fuel.there are some buildings i do make that require the building supplies which is a mixture of several materials:glass,brick,lumber,etc. and i find by the time i make enough to build a couple buildings then i have a huge surplus of mixed items that aren't needed elsewhere. don't get me wrong, i agree with many of the points others here have made.
     there are conflicts now also. if a player uses 1.06 still some new mods will not work. as textiles is a new limit tag.in older mods many things were tagged different than now. it looks on screen as the same item though. that didn't say "all mods need to be updated". nor does it say " all mods have to be developed twice so they work 1.06 and 1.07 both".it is just a stated fact. some will read it wrong though. the modders and people who play all the time are aware of these conflicts and work with them. or have redesigned their game and mod lists.
   what a modder might want to realize is a new player or someone who hasn't played banished much is the 1 who will have problems. with all mods turning red there is no quick fix to mod orders. if a new player installs a mod and their game has conflicts, they most likely will toss the mod back out.
someone who opens the game for an hour or 2 isn't going to work or read much to find and fix a conflict.
      some conflicts are needed at the moment.i think RED took me sarcastically the other day when i actually was serious. i do hope he does not hurry with the NMT upgrade. as that is a huge mod and will affect many others. tiles made with the NMT mod 1.07 may or may not be the same as tile made by 1.06.that is up to RED. if tiles are tagged with the new limit tag "construction" and the old tag was stone. then they are not the same.

RedKetchup

oh ya the tag will be different .....
but i guess i can make both

brads3

i want to take a minute to say i am surprised by the huge number of mods and discussions and requests of the last few months. when the new community icon idea came up and the 1.07 changes all at the same time,i figured the modders would need time to regroup and recode mods that had been created already. i figured they would be very busy for a month or 2. i did not expect any new mods would be developed.  with all the work you had,i didn't think then was the time for us players to throw requests at you.you modders have been amazing at dealing with both at the same time.it is quite interesting to see how much the game has changed just in the last 6 months.

brads3

LOL,RED,i didn't mean to confuse you. is it possable to label the new NMT different so a player could in fact load both old and new at the same time?  TON said he was holding up on upgrading mods until the beta run is over a finalized version of 1.07 is out. at the moment i actually have most of my mods still 1.06. it works and i can build both new and old mods.

embx61

@brads3

Indeed some bigger mods need more time to update.

I was fairly fast done updating for 1.07 because I don't have that many buildings and it was mostly only a case of changing some flags/limits for some materials and some was just a case of compiling in the 1.07 Mod kit after adding the community bar stuff.

RedKetchup

the thing is i have alot of mods, and some like NMT, a very very huge one.

1. redo and reupdate always the same mods is 1. very boring. 2. very hard sometime to relearn your own old files and structure.
2. since 1. is boring, often is more fun to just create something new ^^
3. even these days, i dont spend my 16hrs per day on this. i want to do other things once i did a 1-2-3-6-8 hrs on that in my day :P

i didnt finished yet to update everything. specially NMT ask so much courage to do :S

Nilla

I absolutely agree with @Gatherer; every mod doesn't have to be compatible with every other. And it's certainly not good, if every modder has to adapt their ideas to fit into the CC- concept.

I agree @embx61, I don't understand the thoughts behind the fuel in CC eather and I will ask every modder, not to look all too much on it. I can confess; this is one of the main reasons, I don't play much CC.

Yes, @RedKetchup I can understand, that it's not much fun upgrading your "old" mods. Take your time. It looks like NMT also work on 1.0.7, so if you prefere making new things; do it!

embx61

Thanks @Nilla  @Gatherer  @RedKetchup 

I am glad not standing alone in this and at least some players understand that it is not always possible to be compatible with CC unless we do something we rather not do and then I speak of having Bannies having the precious charcoal and Coke burn up in their homes.

I just going to assign the charcoal to the Custom3 flag/limit.
I think that @Tom Sawyer is also planning to do this with his the North Mod.

So Production Set 2 will not be fully compatible with CC after I release the Beta of it hopefully tomorrow.

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on May 06, 2017, 12:32:07 PMSo Production Set 2 will not be fully compatible with CC

If it leaves me a choice, e.g. via load order, and does not crash the game, I will live with it.

I only regret when things become exclusive of each other, to a point where it means either one or the other...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]