News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Discussions : New Medieval Town v 1.02

Started by RedKetchup, April 19, 2015, 11:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatherer

@RedKetchup

First of all I'd like to say I like the archaeology idea. The Stonehenge will fit nicely in my towns as a central monument. Have you decided yet what size the footprint will be?

Having said that, I'm not so overly enthusiastic about artefact procurement though. I know a lot of real life artefacts are made of stone but there are many others from metal and wood. I've been tinkering with an idea of how to get artefacts not involving stone and I have 2 possible alternatives:

1. Having the archaeologist work similar to a gatherer. His house would have double the radius of a vanilla market and he would walk around picking random artefacts that would spawn on the ground. Artefacts should spawn in small numbers so that production would be only 15-20 per year.

2. Ability to build Excavation Site for the archaeologist. This structure could cover an area of 15x15 or 15x20 tiles. It would require logs, rope (for dividing various parts of the "dig") and tools to build. Production should again be 15-20 artefacts per year with a total "lifespan" of the site at 100 artefacts. After that the site would be depleted and you could upgrade (deepen) it with the upgrade button (again requiring some logs, rope and tools). This would not change the structure it would just reset the artefacts to be found back to 100 (Perhaps the site could be upgraded many times?). The site would come with a small wooden shack or a tent.

And something not related to artefacts but to stone production:

What about an extra resource called Uncut Rocks? Instead of labourers directly cutting harvested rocks into ready-to-use blocks of stone on-site, a stonecutter could do that in his workshop. Labourers harvest uncut rocks and stonecutter turns them into stone. 4 uncut rocks would make 5 stone and the trade value of uncut rocks should be the same as for stone. This new resource should be tied to stone limit. Perhaps the uncut stone could look similar to coal heaps in shape but in lighter grey colour.

This new stage in stone production would make things a little bit difficult, especially at the start of a new town, so it could be a standalone mod perhaps (with NMT style look to make it visually compatible).

Does any of this make any sense?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

paralias

2 could be mill (the tower..put the wheel at the tower)and the millers house
8 houses & barn ...the tower house was exactly what i have in mind when i suggest you a model when you start doing the other models for the 3 floor houses
for the rest i agree with previous suggestions

RedKetchup

1. yeah, there is a stone wall all around the house.... like a manor. the texture seems to be mission, but can easily replaced.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

about the gatherer -type of archeology. when i started to design how archeology works (in my brain) i thought a bit of it and then i remember about 2 things:
would it need some specific 'start' in game menu ? like ToL of Darkbibou ? would it be compatible with ToL ? CC ? i was kinda sure it would not.
and then how to make things 'grow' kinda like roots, berries, ect . i have no idea how to do that. and if i think and try to picture in my head that idea..... i just get the 'image' of Kralyerg and his krazy konceptions where you see a shack with iron or stone 'growing' from the ground.
yeah it could be an idea.

if i want to do it ? not sure cause i have no idea how this whole thing works....  and only have 1 week left before i release v1.1 (i gave a date and i want to respect it) ^^
and i have alot to do still . (add barns to NMT, add apiary to NMT, add canals (and redo canals) to NMT (and scratch NMC), making 1 or 2 more archeology sites...)

Kimbolton

Hi Red,

1. Yes I agree with the others. Certainly new styles of churches are always needed. Possibly would work for a school. If the walls create as big a space around the building as it looks like in the picture it would need a lot of grounds work. Maybe surrounding walls should be removed?

2. shop of some sort. I'm a bit stumped.

3. Looks like a good warehouse.

4. This one seems to have several possibilities. It could work as a church, could be an administrative building too. Constable? I don't know.

5. Might work as jail. workshop (it looks like an old industrial type building. Could be a business with a little alteration of front. I like the model.

6. Maybe this could be a pub.  Possibly a restaurant. Looks definitely like a commercial structure. This could really be worked into the theater as well. :D

7. This one looks like a school.

8. I like chillzz idea of church with option for graveyard in the wall. If not possible it still looks monastic. Nice model.

9. Yes barn/stable like the others say.

10. Love this one. So yes, town hall, definitely government type. Does any one think it needs a companion building though? 

11. I like it too much to just be a ruin. Certainly a fortress type building. It would be quite the jail! :D It looks like it could be an old nobility residence/fortress. Or an armory.

12. Could be a residence, might be a pub too. If using for a hospital you could maybe keep the front courtyard for off street space. Otherwise I would remove the courtyard.

13. hmmm... yes housing I guess.

14.The front windows look fortress like. Jail maybe? Almost has a church look as well.

15. Definitely abbey or church.

16. With the courtyard it definitely looks like a important residence. Mayor or governor house. Don't like the windows much for that type of building either.

Thanks for giving us some input RedKethup! This is fun! :)

Nilla

Maybe I am a bit stupid, but I don't quite understand the purpose of these models. Do you want to make the new buildings a part of the NMT-mod? In that case, I would be very careful to bring in new structures and building styles. One thing, that makes the NMT so exceptional, is that all buildings (except the brewery  :-[ ) fit so well together. The style and structure are so well balanced, that even someone like me, can build nice looking settlements.

But if you are thinking of smaller stand-alone-mods or a new larger pack; Than of cause it's a different thing. I will tell you how I like the style of the buildings and what they could be used for.

:) like it         :-\ it's OK but others are better        :( don't like it

1.  :-\ chapel

2.  :) (but your NMT-style is better) The tower is a good idea to bu used as a store. Maybe a brewery with an ale-store. We don't have that. Or why not my grain store. The tower could be used as grain silo.

3. :-\ storage

4.  :)  :) town hall (or some other official building) or maybe some living space for rich people maybe with a shop at the bottom (they must get their wealth from somewhere)

5.  :) another town hall or maybe the shop for some craftsmen

6.  :-\ shop, house

7.  :( school, home, too modern for my taste

8. :) :) This looks like an old English estate from the time of their civil wars. Housing, barns, farming buildings and a watchtower to keep an eye on your evil neighbors. Must be divided into several parts for different use but could be very nice.

9. :)  :)  :) An old viking or even bronze age long hose, could be used for everything; housing, storage........

10.  :-\ A tower could be used for many things, it could maybe be divided in several stocks with different purpose, like living space storage or just be a decoration.

11. :(  Yours look better if you need a castle

12.:) country house, monastery, hospital

13. :( too modern

14. :-\ realistic but not really appealing, maybe some storage

15  :) monastery church

16  :-\ town hall or other official building the house looks a bit too modern

RedKetchup

i very appreciate all your ideas and comments :) keep going :)

later i ll maybe tell what was really the use of the buildings. (i mean RL or the intention of the 3d designer ^^)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW :

ADDED:
Apiary today to Medieval Town (exactly same original graphic, i didnt modified. but with the numbers and settings of my Re-Balanced) many people asked for it.

ADDED:
Thw Irrelevant's Small Barns Collection today to Medieval Town (exactly the same as i made the individual mod).

ADDED:
Steph Grain Silos (and Coal Silo) today to Medieval Town (i took the last build i made 2-3 months ago)

ADDING presently:
Pangaea's Root Celar. for this one i need and i m making a new praphic since the original is very ... beurk!

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 23, 2015, 11:14:16 AM
add barns to NMT, add apiary to NMT, add canals (and redo canals) to NMT (and scratch NMC), making 1 or 2 more archeology sites...)
Wow.. thats a lot of work to be done.. don't fixate on the date you posted.. we'll know it will be excellent no matter what :)

Are you abandoning the 'castle project' completely ?

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 24, 2015, 04:11:15 AMADDED:
Thw Irrelevant's Small Barns Collection today to Medieval Town (exactly the same as i made the individual mod).

ADDED:
Steph Grain Silos (and Coal Silo) today to Medieval Town (i took the last build i made 2-3 months ago)

ADDING presently:
Pangaea's Root Celar. for this one i need and i m making a new praphic since the original is very ... beurk!

so all previous (storage) mods will be superseeded by NMT :)

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Briannian

Hi everyone, it's my first post here, although I've been lurking for a few weeks now. 

First off, I want to say to Red - THANK YOU!  Your buildings have opened up a whole new world of Banished!  The houses and possible combinations make the game so much more interesting and creating towns that are beautiful as well as efficient. 

I love the new models you posted, too.  I have some inputs, too. 

1.  It definitely looks like a chapel.  The wall around is concerning, though because it makes the footprint way to big for efficient use.  If a graveyard could fit inside the walls, and do some double-duty, that would be awesome.  I'm not sure if it's possible.
2.  Definitely too "military" for Banished.  As it is, it wouldn't serve a purpose.  The grain idea is cool, but another idea is perhaps to rework the top to a lighthouse.  It could be manned by a sailor and perhaps give a production boost to the sailing ship.  Don't know if that's possible, but an intriguing idea.
3.  Definitely an agriculture building.  Alone, it could be an alternative to the vanilla barn.  I end up with so many vanilla barns, it would be great to have it as another option.  Another possibility that someone mentioned would be to add a dwelling to the Pasture - this would make a great model to build over the current shed turning it into a shed/residence combo for herders. 
4.  It looks like a convent or abbey.  Even a school.  Is that a wall without a gate? I wonder how the occupants access it.  That takes the monastic cloistering a bit to the extreme, lol.
5.  This looks like an old factory.  Maybe it could be an alternative model for a chandler.  It would look great in the waterfront/canal district.
6.  Same as 5.  I look at that and think of an old factory.  Maybe this is an alternative for the tailor shop.  It screams "sweat shop." 
7.  Schoolhouse.  I agree with some other poster, too modern.  Maybe roughen up the white texture a bit.
8.  This model is beautiful.  It looks like an old military depot - complete with stable and barracks.  It could also function as a trading post if the game would allow overland trade in addition to the trading boats. 
9.  Another barn.  I'm not sure what the little outhouse is for.  It looks out of place. 
10.  Town hall/castle alternative.  Awesome model.
11.  Great model, but it looks too worn to be a new construction.  Maybe one of the ruins?
12.  Manor house.  Or museum/research facility for the archeology profession. 
13.  Farm house.  But the columns make it look to modern for Banished.  If they could be turned into plain posts, it would fit much better. 
14.  Church or abbey.  I like the mausoleum idea someone else mentioned.  Get the space for a number of "graves" and the benefits of a cemetery. 
15.  Manor house. 

Thanks again for all your efforts!

RedKetchup

thanks you @Briannian :)
very appreciated :)

btw i didnt got time to finish my root cellar v 2.0 NMT .....
woke up at 8pm... got a warcraft raid... and after i ve got to help @afwings  with his mod :)

gonna see if i can finish it before going to bed ^^

Gordon Dry

My suggestions:

• Chapel / workshop with increased security - but the villagers are all upright ...
  • Alchemist
  • Barn / stable / hayloft
  • Patricians house
  • Candle workshop
  • Glass workshop
  • Mom-and-pop shop
  • Fortified materials stock - but the upright villagers ...
  • Wood / Stone / Iron stocks
  • Castle medic
  • Caste townhall / residential building for 12 families, each 5 people
  • Apothecary, between the hedges the herbs could be grown
  • Residential
  • Potato stock  :P
  • Chapel
  • Hero's home / advanced apothecary (with herbs in the garden) / townhall

RedKetchup

RedKetchup

Added: Medieval Root Cellar. no need anymore to have a mountain/hill required but still can be build on hills :)

DesoPL

I love where the mod is going... To epicness!

RedKetchup

Quote from: DesoPL on June 25, 2015, 05:45:02 AM
I love where the mod is going... To epicness!

hehe this mod is just lacking of a ..... hobbit house ? LOLz