News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #1: Valley of Death

Started by solarscreen, June 01, 2014, 12:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

Can we complete more then one? I am on my second take but am still not entirely happy with it. Not sure if I can complete what I want to in time. I dislike gender imbalances greatly.

solarscreen

Quote from: mariesalias on June 11, 2014, 09:19:28 PM
Can we complete more then one? I am on my second take but am still not entirely happy with it. Not sure if I can complete what I want to in time. I dislike gender imbalances greatly.

There is more than one category so submit away!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

I don't know if I'll finish out my first attempt and post it but here is my second one. :D 

Here is a screenshot with the final stats. I'll also attach the save game. I'm too tired to upload photos tonight so I'll try to get it tomorrow. My son is having a tooth pulled tomorrow so depending on how he reacts to it, I may or may not have free time. I did want to get the submission in at least though.

Edit to fix the save so it is the correct one!
And to add links to starting pictures of game and overhead views of the town. The SW Farmlands can be seen in the Screenshot below showing the town stats, and the SE area can be seen in the population graph screenshot so I did not upload them again.

Starting out!
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_7_56_56.bmp
Change of plans
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_7_59_08.bmp
No, really this time!
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_8_02_54.bmp
Eastern Area
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_8_06_35.bmp
West Side Story
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_8_10_15.bmp
North West
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_8_16_12.bmp
North East Indutry
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/10_13_06_14_8_19_40.bmp

(sorry, trying to do this too quickly!)

slink

I know I said that I wouldn't play this one, but the trumpets were too much for the old warhorse.  I had named the town "Duh", on account of what I predicted would be the educational level, but to my surprise I was able to bullheadedly educate everyone except Gonza, who grew up too quickly for my school, which was the very first building to be built in Duh.

There are only 20 houses, 10 on either side of the river.  The east side is the older neighborhood, with only forestry industries and fishing.  The west side is the newer neighborhood, with farms, orchards, and a pasture.  The cemetery, trading post, and town hall are also on the west side of the river.  20 houses was enough to house every adult up until the first death occurred.  That became, therefore, my limit.

The layout grew completely organically.  There was no planning ahead, beyond situating each building where it fit best at the moment it was built. 

The trading post, once built, was never reloaded for a better boatload.

Health and happiness are at 5 and 5.  No one has starved or frozen.

Everyone in the current save is the descendent of either Maudette or Betheree, who were the only two females of breeding age after the first population peak was over.

Oops, contest rules said Summer, so I had to go forward a season.

Bobbi

Just call me last minute Larry (or Larissa) Right under the wire, I hope.

Bobbi

mariesalias

I have uploaded pictures to the Gallery. I tried to take pictures that were at least a little pretty. No UI elements all over the place. :D

The Town Center

Downtown Area (original settlement)

Rest and Relaxation along the river

Industrial District

Quiet Quarry

Trading and Idling

Sheep!

The Heartland.

River's Bend

Forestry Hub

Marketplace

Town Stats

Population Graph

ETA stats and graph. I can upload more pictures to the Gallery if needed.

solarscreen

WOW!
Several GREAT entries!  Now for the hard part - the voting.
I need everyone's help and here's how.

Review every entry from this point backwards and then post the name you think should win in these categories:

Best Looking - NAME
Most People - NAME
Most map area used - NAME
Best In Show - NAME

You can place the same person in multiple categories but not vote for yourself!

Voting ends Sunday night, so get your posts in this weekend.
Champions will be crowned and receive their elevated status Monday.

Lurkers!  Now is your chance to speak up! You must join the forum to post!

mariesalias

While I was reading through the thread to look at all the towns, I realized I did not include some screenshots that I should have( like map seed pic,  starting picture, and overhead views of all areas). So I will upload them to the Gallery and just link to them (not post the pictures) in the post I posted my save in above. Unless there is a reason i should not do this?

Oh yeah, I wanted to say that I enjoyed looking at everyone's towns. It is cool to see how with the same map, starting conditions, and all, that we all did different things. I really like so many of the decorative touches people placed in their towns. Good luck to everyone!

Demonocracy

Best Looking - @Bobbi - I just can't compete with this kind of keen eye for aesthetics!  Beautiful.

Most People - 676 by @mariesalias - I'm pretty confident this was the highest population I saw.  Goodness, that's a lot of people!

Most map area used - @RedKetchup - Nice sprawl!

Best In Show - @ivorymalinov - High health, happiness, all seeds/livestock purchased (awesome), good balance of population vs. space.

That said, I had a hard time for Best in Show because it was really a toss-up for me between the more challenging/complicated success of Ivorymalinov and the organically grown layout design presented by @slink .  I think ultimately, I prefer to see the game with the more natural feel, so I was delighted by seeing the result of just playing the game with few specific goals in mind.  At the least, though, an honourable mention is deserved.  Well done, @slink !

Well done everyone.  Amazing work, and it has been so much fun to watch everyone's take on the same game we all know and love.

Good luck!  : )

slink

Best Looking: @ivorymalinov.  I really like how everything was laid out on this map.  I find it all very attractive.

Most People: Going by screen shots, obviously @mariesalias.  I can't see how full the map is because the save that was uploaded is of a town named Fultonia, using a different seed.

Most Map Area Used: @RedKetchup used every square of the map.

Best In Show: Also @ivorymalinov.  I tried to find a way to include a fourth winner, but ivorymalinov's entry is clearly the nicest in my opinion, as well as the prettiest to my eye.

mariesalias

Quote from: slink on June 13, 2014, 08:16:46 PM
Most People: Going by screen shots, obviously @mariesalias.  I can't see how full the map is because the save that was uploaded is of a town named Fultonia, using a different seed.

I am sorry, i did not realize, I will see if I can figure out which is the correct one!

ETA  Should be correct now! Please tell me if not. Fultonia is my map for the farming challenge.  :-[

Bobbi

I wish more people had competed...come on, you all this is fun!

Best Looking - @ivorymalinov - love some of the little details, like the crosses

Most People - 676 by @mariesalias - @RedKetchup second with 646

Most map area used - @RedKetchup - Very creative use of the map.

Best In Show - @ivorymalinov - Just liked the look of this village.

mariesalias

This is a bit difficult! All the towns had good things going for them and each had its own beauty! I think everyone did a great job!

Best Looking - ivorymalinov  Many lovely touches!
Most People - RedKetchup
Most map area used - RedKetchup
Best In Show - rkelly17  It is picturesque! In so many of the screenshots, I feel like I could be looking at an old town in Europe.

solarscreen

Ok, so I must have been dozing off when I posted on the voting instructions...   :o

OBVIOUSLY, the most people and the most map used is a fairly objective status.  I really need a good voter turn out on best looking and Best In Show.

We now return you to your previously scheduled programming!