News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Necora's Work in Progress

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

Pine set is updated! Enjoy and let me know what you think.

I've also been working on updating the NS Inshore fisheries, adding a new concept. I managed to make the iron mine code work for another building, in this case a boat. I've turned the NS Inshore fishing buildings into just a dory that sits on a 1x1 square. It employs 1 person, and needs a dory to build. Once built, you will get about 2000 units of lobster, shrimp, tuna, mackerel, or herring over the course of 2 years. Then, it will run out and you'll need to buy a new boat.

The reason for doing this is so that the dory resource has more of a use rather than for just building something then as trade only. The problem was, that the dory has such a high value, that it is hard to make it as a consume produce of Dory = Lobster in the existing buildings as I'd have to change the lobster high/low to something like 500/550 to make it worth while. That would either mean adding a second lobster resource, or messing up other mods that use the lobster resource. Also, as it is now just a boat, it doesn't seem so bad to demolish and rebuild an entire building every time it runs out.

This also means I can now add traps and nets to the build requirements, so you'll need a boat and some nets to go get your fish, which will need to be replaced every few years. I was hesitant at adding a trap builder for the main reason of limited application of traps.

adelegarland

This is n interesting idea...   question: Will the boat automatically pull another boat from inventory every two years or will we have to manually re-buy it?
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.

Necora

It works the same as the iron mine so will have to me manually re-built. I'm not sure if there is a way to do it otherwise.

Nilla

To me it sounds like a good idea, too. As long as the trouble/expense of the dory pays off. It would be nice, if there was a possibility like an upgrade, instead of rebuilding the whole fisher. You say, that you use the concept of the mine. At least in the earlier versions of the CC mod, you could upgrade the mines by using some more material and candles/lamp oil. Maybe something like that, with your lobster fisher, too; a possibility to upgrade, with the help of a boat. But I guess it's probably only upgradable once or a few times and that wouldn't really solve the problem.

In any case, of cause, I will test your upgrades. Looking forward on it. :)

Necora

@Nilla yeah I tried that. The mod kit gets stuck in an infinite loop and dies. You can upgrade to a new building fine, but you can't upgrade to itself. I guess the same would happen if you had two versions and upgraded between them, it would just get stuck in a loop trying to build each one. That is why the final mine in CC was infinite. But then, having the fishing building as just a boat that requires a dory and some nets to build means that destroying the whole thing each time is less of a hassle and doesn't look so bad as destroying a huge building for it. About the pay off, right now I have it so that you get about 2000 lobster etc. per build, and it should take you about a year to produce. The Dory is currently values at 100, and the amount of flax or hemp needed to make the rope has been reduced to like 20 and 25. I've still to play around with it, but it might be good for a beta test soon, depending on how long it takes me to update all of the resources in this mod.

It also means I can re-purpose the current buildings as other production buildings.

Necora

There are now 5 boats, one for each species. Currently, they need 1 dory to build, but I think I will also have some other things like traps and nets to make it more interesting. Can add some new things to the blacksmith and a new building as a net maker and a trap maker. Also gives a use for some of the now empty buildings from this set.

Necora

And here it is for a BETA test if anyone is interested. Let me know how easy/hard it is to complete the chain, and if the output/how long the boats last is suitable.

This is not compatible with save games that have the current NSInshore package loaded, as buildings have been removed and behind the scenes things changed. It should be fully compatible with all other mods, and does need a dock set of some form to give access to the boats.

Oh and let me know how long they do last, a year? 2 years? More? What do you think is reasonable?

Nilla

I'm sorry to say: I had two crashes after I downloaded the upgraded Pine mod. (not this new fisher).

I have no idea why it happened. I stared a new game and played 4-5 years. The first crash happened as I was building a small dory. I can't imagine, that it has anything to do with the crash. I started the game again. The crash didn't occur at the same time but a little later, as I wasn't building anything except a house.

The latest building of the "new" is the pelt tailor. But it has produced pelt coats for a while, so I don't think it's to blame. The maple forest and its gatherer also ran without problem for a while. The
pine forest is new, less than ½ year; it's only a forester in that forest so far. No idea if he could cause the crash.

I have quite a few other mods from Red and Kid loaded as well but not much built. All the new 1 0 7 versions. I can't think of any real conflicts even if the modlist is red, red, red.

I will start a new game, disable all mods except yours @Necora and make more or less the same, as I made in this game. I'll tell you later how it went.

I don't think it's a good idea to test your new fisher at the moment. I will see if I can find something out here first.

brads3

NILLA,are you playing with or without the new tree mod added?? i was wondering if the wild animals setup was linked to those trees.

Nilla

I play with this new trees. You may be on to something there @brads3. Maybe they doesn't belong together with the new pine mod.

And now I'm pretty sure, that there's something with the pine forest, that causes the crash. I did as I said; started a new game, only @Necora´s mods. I built a pine forest early this time and the game crashed, maybe ½ year after it was built, about the same time as the first game.

I will disable the new trees and make a new try.

Edit: I'm pretty sure, you found the reason @brads3. I disabled the new trees mod but there are still theses new trees on the map, so I guess there's something there, that causes the crash.

brads3

nope its the pine mod itself. i couldn't get the tree mod to load but also had error with the pine mod. it did run thru a year before the crash.trapper never collected anything. hunter was working and a maple forester. way the write up reads, the trapper should collect even in a vanilla forest. wonder if it has to be placed above CC? or if it had been designed to work with the new trees exclusively. since we both crash out, that isn't the answere.

Necora

@Nilla thanks for reporting it so quick, sorry about the crash. Same to you @brads3.

If it is due to the pine forest, there should not be an issue with the trees mod. The tree mod only has a small portion of the vanilla tree file in it, to override the models. Nothing else. However, if you use the tree mod with the pine set, then it will simply over write the vanilla tree file with... the exact same line of code... so I have no idea why that should be impacting the pine set as they are different tree files and not related to each other.

The trapper should collect resources from all three forest types, if it has not got anything maybe there is nothing there...

I don't see why it should conflict with CC unless you are also using one of the special starts with their own tree sets.

I'll have a dig through the files and see if something comes up. Let me know if the crashes continue.

Is there any error message associated with them?

brads3

i was using just a CC medium+ start so nothing fancy. the way your description of the changes to the trapper sounded like the animals would be added and appear on the map in normal forests. that is where i wonder if the error is since i had not colleccted any.i left the trapper work thinking maybe the animals would appear over time. half the trappers circle did overlap a maple forest but that also had only been started for less than a year.

Necora

So the first good news is that I managed to replicate it. Not sure how, but it is to do with the pine forest some how. I can't believe I missed it....

Necora

So I am stumped... I have no idea what could be causing this crash. I'll have to keep investigating. Sorry everyone.