News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newburg - Story 1 - A Whole New World Series

Started by Abandoned, January 31, 2024, 07:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kralyerg

While it's true that MegaMod 07 DecoPack does have the decorative animals, I can't get it to work anymore.  When I load it in game, it crashes every time I click on the Decorations toolbar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ou2BvVRIgOX_ERlRtWSm2XORBCLx3Ulj/view?usp=drive_link

You're welcome to try, but I would load it in a new game to test it because I don't think it will work anymore, and I don't know why.  It's also pretty large, 746MB, and it includes a lot of things that I wouldn't put in a decorations pack if I did one now. Like whole CC Dock set is in there.

Sorry to keep derailing your story.  ;D

Abandoned

;D  oh, a little derailing is okay as long as I don't have to build another railroad just yet ;D

I will pass on using MegaMod or Mega Mod Deco.  The deco animals I seem to remember must have been in an earlier version of CC before Journey.  :-\   I will take a look at CC Journey sometime soon to see how it will run on this desktop.

kralyerg

Here's a quick and dirty first pass at an Only Deco Animals pack.

Deco Animals

I stripped this from MM, so it includes all the deco animals from CC, as well as from a few Kid and Jinxie mods that had some.

I did notice that the CC deco animals had 1 unit of work required to build them, so they won't appear instantly when you place them.  They are otherwise free to build.

catty-cb

Quote from: Abandoned on February 04, 2024, 08:52:31 PMI will take a look at CC Journey sometime soon to see how it will run on this desktop.

I run Banished With CC Journey, RKEC plus 70 other mods on a all-in-one desktop

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c05142500

Thru I did have to stop building my last village cos my computer started to struggle

Abandoned

Thanks @kralyerg . I will give the Deco Animal Pack a try  :)

@catty-cb  Part of the fun is combining different mods that look well together, player' choice, I end up with each town looking different and having an atmosphere all its own. I never have a problem with conflicts or one thing overwriting something else. No searching through big menus just to find and place one item.  I am not fond of large mods alone, would never use them together even if they would run on my computer.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

There were more newborn that year, one that we did not know who the father was.  In late winter, young Glendalla, who lived in the bait shop, had a baby boy she named Octavion.  At the end of year 4, Newburg had a population of 44, 28 adults and 16 young children.  Jenser and I had been keeping records of all the town's statistics.  We build a mini town hall in the center of town by the well and we took the records with us whenever we had a town meeting there.  Earlier in the year we recorded that 20 migrants came through town on their way south.  We advised them not to go too far; if they ran into trouble, they could call on us for help. 

When another group came through in early spring of year 5, we thought it a good idea to build an outdoor classroom like Smallville had to teach a few survival skills to the migrants.  It would be a year or 2 before any of the town's children reached school age but we built the mini classroom right away by the well and mini town hall.  A couple with 2 children decided to stay with us and promptly moved into the longhouse which was empty by then; we had just completed another frame house, and 2 more workplace houses in town.

Although the Nords were healthy and had a more varied diet, they still were not happy.  It had been a cold winter and we did not have warm clothes; we would work on our clothing supply but in the meantime, we built a small sauna near the center of town.  Over by the sheep run and animal pen, we built a tannery.  The animals in the cold north had tougher hides and coarser wool, these raw materials needed processing.  The tannery would make soft leather from cow hides, reindeer hides, or sheepskins; the tailor shop wood make useable wadmal from the raw wool.  The tailor would make clothing from the wadmal, leather, and linen.  We prepared a small crop field next to the tailor and planted flax, across from it we were building a weaver's hut to make linen.

Next to the cemetery we built a workplace chapel hoping it would make the Nords happy once we able to spare a worker to be our cleric.  We were having to reassign workers to jobs that needed doing most; we did not have enough workers for all the jobs that needed doing.  We had to carefully watch our food and firewood supplies.

The greenhouse was giving us a nice variety of food and we had plenty of fertilizer.  We built a 2nd greenhouse by the 1ast one.  When we had more workers, each would get another one.  Behind the new greenhouse we transplanted 2 more walnut trees and another apple tree.  Next to this small orchard, we prepared another crop field that would be planted with rye in spring.  We would have to give more thought to our food and firewood supplies.

kid1293

Very nice, Abandoned. I hope people can let you tell your story!

Abandoned

Quote from: kralyerg on February 04, 2024, 10:15:01 PMHere's a quick and dirty first pass at an Only Deco Animals pack.

Deco Animals

I stripped this from MM, so it includes all the deco animals from CC, as well as from a few Kid and Jinxie mods that had some.

I did notice that the CC deco animals had 1 unit of work required to build them, so they won't appear instantly when you place them.  They are otherwise free to build.

I just tried this MegaMod Deco Animal mod, it is terrific.  Thank you so much  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 6

In spring of year 6, we welcomed 13 more migrants, 10 adults with 3 children.  There was not enough room in the longhouse but we needed food and firewood before we could build more houses.  They helped to gather wild foods and firewood often that spring and summer, we were short of both.  One of the migrants became another forester and went to work back by the first one, their work area would overlap.  Between the 2, a hunting workplace was built; there were 2 large herds of reindeer nearby and a large flock of grouse. Two of the newcomers became hunters.

Late autumn had only just arrived when we had the first snow of the season; we immediately assigned another farmer to each field but we lost most of the barley and turnips.  A workplace grinder was built near the barley field but there was not much barley to grind into flour that year.  The rye field was harvested before the snow but it still did poorly.  That field would be planted with more barley the following year.  The greenhouses were doing well.

By the end of the year, our stone supply was very low and our clothing supply had been depleted.  The newly made clothes went out of storage as soon as they went in.  The available surface stone was far from town now and too far to go during the winter months.  We only had 2 available laborers but the farmers could help until spring.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

We needed workers but we were glad that the migrants that arrived in spring of year 7, did not stay.  Our food, clothing, and firewood supply could not support more citizen.  The last migrants were still without houses.  We were surprised at the number of migrants there were here in the north.  The Nords said it is not surprising that the young people wanted better than the constant struggle to survive; when their small settlements could support no more, the young people moved on.  They themselves had been thinking of heading south when we arrived; one couple had already left.  Yes, we got their house.  Now we still had houses to build for the migrants living in the longhouse and for those that were homeless.

We assigned another builder; it had taken awhile for our 1 builder to dig a tiny quarry by the sand pit.  The worker said he would rather dig for stone than carry it so far.  A campfire was built next to the quarry to roast venison.  Nearby, a wind sawmill was built to cut firewood.  The wood cutter from the chopping block found it quicker and easier and it was nicer to work inside than out in the cold. 

Work began on housebuilding, and a gatherer's hut was built back by the hunter and foresters.  She was not finding as much wild foods as we had hoped, only blueberries so far, but she was gathering firewood which helped quite a bit.  A marketplace was being built down by the turnip field.  It was close to town and would have more goods in one place than scattered all over in the small storage units.  If the market did not make people happy, then maybe honey mead from the new brewer barrel in town would.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

Things only got worse in year 8.  Food and firewood supplies remained critically low.  The greenhouse and animal barn were short of fertilizer and plant debris.  One woodcutter could not keep up with demand for firewood, another was assigned.   The tailor ran out of wadmal so could not make coats.  Until the hunters had a good hunt, there was no reindeer hides to make into leather.  The flax crop was bad 2 years in a row so there was no linen either. 

The smith had been making iron bars but had to stop because more migrants arrived and we were suddenly out of tools completely.  The smith began making iron tools and another worker began making stone tools so a crisis was averted.   

The extra workers that arrived help somewhat.  They gathered wild foods and firewood and went to work at the cleaning shed and animal pen.  There were 14 of them, 9 adults with 5 children.  We built a workplace hostel by the river, there was room to house all but one 15-year-old male.  I tried to locate him for the town records and hoped perhaps he had moved in with Glendalla in the bait shop.  I was surprised to find that the girl was still unmarried but had a newborn daughter.  The young man was not there; I found him at the longhouse with the other families from the previous year who were still living there.

The shortages and struggles continued throughout the year and into the next.

Abandoned

Kid Animal Barn Plus has been released.  For more info and link to download see here:

https://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4389.0

Abandoned

Chapter 9

Except for the firewood supply, things did not get much better in year 9, but they did not get worse.  We had some tools on hand, and the tailor began making wool tunics; they were not as warm as winter coats but they were better than nothing.  We had plenty of wool for wadmal and another hunting camp was set up on that side of town which would supply a few more needed reindeer hides for leather-making.

The extra venison and grouse could only help our food supply.  Our barley and turnip harvests were good that year; the 2 farmers per field really made a difference.  We don't know what happened the following year though.  The barley was harvested before the temperature dropped to freezing and the turnips harvest was almost complete, but both crops were much less than the previous year.

We cleared land for another barley field on the other side of the market.  More houses were finally being built; there were still families in the long house and hostel.  Two frame houses and another sauna were built the previous year by the longhouse.  Two workplace houses were built by the new farm field and market in year 10.  Seven more migrants came to town, 4 adults with 3 children, so there were still families needing homes.  There were 57 adults and 47 children needing food.

galensgranny

Don't you have that spot hunter/hunting tool Tom made?  It's fabulous!  You plop that bow and arrow icon among a bunch of deer or grouse and if storage is not too far, that hunter gets so much more food and skins in a matter of minutes than it seems the hunter does in a year, if you find a large number of deer and have storage not far.  Then dismiss it when there are no more animals in the circle. That spot hunter will even get animals on the way to and from a storage barn, not only in the spot circle.  I don't set up a second hunter cabin, but use that spot hunter anytime I see a group of deer or grouse.  Meanwhile, that spot hunter goes to the campfire to roast venison or make hide capes until you plop that spot hunting icon again.

Abandoned

@galensgranny  Yes, Hunting tool is fabulous, I use it and the campfire on almost every map I play.  Here I built the campfire back in chapter 3, I placed the hunting tool several times and all hunters go there, however the game usually moved away before they get there.  I have very few laborers and have had to do a lot of multi-managing, no time to watch for herds, so without the assigned hunters there would be little venison or hides.  Production is low because of unhappiness and uneducated.