News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Slink's Small Markets Version 4 - Now With Nicer Graphics!

Started by slink, October 10, 2014, 09:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 27, 2014, 04:28:07 PM
hehehe. a person can have an opinion ^^ not a thing ^^

game's opinion hehe. i never thought about that one.
My PCs always got opinions though since i used computers. one day i ve got 1 that totally refused a girl touch it ^^ was so silly.

Well, I suppose you're right . . . . But sometimes computers do seem like very stubborn Fundamentalists, interpreting everything literally in binary logic. My problem is figuring out exactly what they are interpreting literally.  ;D

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 28, 2014, 09:56:05 AM
But sometimes computers do seem like very stubborn Fundamentalists, interpreting everything literally in binary logic. My problem is figuring out exactly what they are interpreting literally.  ;D

That is all computers can do.  Programmers can be more or less kind to users, but in the end it comes down to 1 or 0.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 28, 2014, 11:33:13 AM
That is all computers can do.  Programmers can be more or less kind to users, but in the end it comes down to 1 or 0.

Indeed. Some people do seem to think that they are magic, but it all comes down to 1 or 0. My grade 11 math teacher, who was more than a little bit eccentric, taught us binary by standing at the light switch and saying "If it's not on, it's off. On, off. On, off. On off." with appropriate actions for five or ten minutes every day for a week. I'm not sure how much math we learned, but we did get familiar with on and off.

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 29, 2014, 06:14:46 AM
Indeed. Some people do seem to think that they are magic, but it all comes down to 1 or 0. My grade 11 math teacher, who was more than a little bit eccentric, taught us binary by standing at the light switch and saying "If it's not on, it's off. On, off. On, off. On off." with appropriate actions for five or ten minutes every day for a week. I'm not sure how much math we learned, but we did get familiar with on and off.
That sounds like when they hit us with New Math midway through grammar school.  I briefly wondered whether I would catch something (commutative versus communicable).  Then we we were suddenly memorizing civics and learning how to walk to the stage in half-steps without swaying.  I'm still not sure what sets have to do with arithmetic, although I can draw overlapping circles like nobodies business.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 29, 2014, 06:27:44 AM
That sounds like when they hit us with New Math midway through grammar school.  I briefly wondered whether I would catch something (commutative versus communicable).  Then we we were suddenly memorizing civics and learning how to walk to the stage in half-steps without swaying.  I'm still not sure what sets have to do with arithmetic, although I can draw overlapping circles like nobodies business.

I was just ahead of New Math. By the time my kids were in high school they learned completely different words for operations. I did well at math in school, but helping my kids was a steep learning curve for me. Now my grandkids do their math in French in French Immersion and I'm completely useless. Maybe I should send them to @RedKetchup for help.  ;)

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 30, 2014, 08:03:35 AM
Quote from: slink on October 29, 2014, 06:27:44 AM

I was just ahead of New Math. By the time my kids were in high school they learned completely different words for operations. I did well at math in school, but helping my kids was a steep learning curve for me. Now my grandkids do their math in French in French Immersion and I'm completely useless. Maybe I should send them to @RedKetchup for help.  ;)
I also was just ahead of that, but in college during my first two misguided years, I was majoring in El Ed. It was Math for Elementary Teachers 101, 102, and 103 that made me re-evaluate my career path. I couldn't make heads or tails of it; why don't we just teach them how to subtract?? :o

slink

The school system I went to must have been behind the times, then, because I am older than irrelevant and I was in the class a year ahead of my age-mates.  No big surprise.  It was the Chicago Public School System.

slink

Work has finally begun on redoing my small markets.  Behold the new look of the General Market.  It will take me a while to convert them all, and you won't be able to use the new ones with the old saves.  Adding more textures makes them incompatible.

irrelevant

salamander

Much nicer, I think, than the darker wood of the originals.

slink

Ironically, this was the original color of the markets.  Due to something in the files I downloaded, the lighting was never correct.  Even when I added lights to the editor, they did not show up correctly.  It was as if the axes were wrong.  I put a new light overhead, and one side lit up instead of the top.  That was what happened with the snow, too.  It showed up on the back and on one side, but never on the roof.  The lighting seemed to have been "baked in" to the model so the only way to correct it was to build new models.  Which I am, now.   :)

irrelevant

How long do you think before it will be ready to use? Only asking because In my current town I'm thinking of moving in a direction that would require a farmers market as well as a general market (haven't built any markets at all yet other than one vanilla one). I could delay for a couple days....

slink

If you want a version now, this one only has two sizes of stores to cover all of them.  I was thinking of meddling with the quantities stored before releasing it, but the models won't change.

irrelevant

@slink Easter Egg!! ;D ;D