Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Japanese Start V1.0 - Angainor88

Started by angainor88, March 15, 2021, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angainor88

Japanese Start V1.0 - Angainor88

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=625

Adds an additional start condition with the seeds from the Japanese mod available at the start. Also, silkworm eggs.

Abandoned

A very nice start.  :)  Seeds will vary depending on map seed.  I got rice, soybeans, and mulberry for orchard.  Found silkworm egg box right away outside of starting barn.  Very nice.  Mod description says 5 families but I got 6 which I like very much.  I would prefer the description be changed t 6 rather than the number of families changed to 5. 

Thanks for making special start for the Japanese mods.

angainor88

Yeah it'll pick randomly from the available seeds, so you might not get all of them right off the bat, but it can only pick from the mod seeds, so you won't get vanilla ones.

And I'll update that description soon!

TheOtherMicheal

Should I mention that for a Japanese town, it's probably worth including the following mod in your game?  ;D

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=89

taniu

@ Angainor88. Thank you very much for this Japanese mod Start V1.0 - the history of Japan is over - we can build Japanese villages now -. ;D
  Thanks @TheOtherMicheal ;D for reminding the Wasabi Crop, of course there is no shushi without wasabi - too bad our Bannies can't make Japanese food? :( But that's another story?  :(

tuggistar

Japanese mod and silkworm eggs will be compatible with Colonial Charter? They have a silkworm, too.

TheOtherMicheal

I'm using angainor88's Japanese buildings as well as MegaMod. MegaMod has Colonial Charter so it has the silkworm and eggs.
I have angainor's Japanese mods above MegaMod in my load order and I have no problems with the silk production building that angainor made, it works with MegaMod so I assume it will work fine with Colonial Charter

angainor88

Yes the silkworm eggs and silk should work with both MM and CC. There might be some slight differences in appearance, but it should still work.

tuggistar

toodyloo

The silkworm eggs did not work as a standalone mod.  But I have been playing this start for awhile but it became boring fast because, ironicly, it is too perfect or sterile fantasy.  There are also no other practical production buildings. 

Bannies use primitive tools for a reason and that is a rustic start whereas japanese architecture and culture is just a culmination of both chinese and korean culture with a lot of refining which is not interesting to play as much. In fact, chinese old world architecure is much more authentic than any japanese architecture if original style is being considered.

More rustic/country type of architecture (like the original asian housing and school) that could apply to any asian culture would be more playable and fit in with bannies. Also, much of the housing is very large for such a small family which is hard to fit on the map and the huge pagoda would have been better suited as a hostel or storage facility.  It's very impractical.

Also, asians don't just eat miso and wear silk kimonos.  Most people could not afford to wear fancy kimonos since they had to do actual labor.  It's all very unrealistic.

kid1293

Thanks, @angainor88 for a terrific job!
The buildings are very good although they do not fit everyone's playstyle.

After all, it is only a game, and who said other cultures never came to Japan. :)
A mix of buildings is maybe hard but separate areas are easy to accomplish.
Just look at the Shangri La story by @Abandoned

It does not have to be settlement-village-town-megastructure every time!

Keep it positive! :) :) :)

Abandoned

I agree, terrific job on Japanese mods @angainor88  I really enjoyed creating very unique cultural town on a small mountain map.  The mod is complete with everything that is needed to be functional and thrive.  The tailor makes other clothing types, not just kimonos, the Japanese clothing override is a separate mod and it adds a wonderful touch to the map.  The rice paddies are beautiful, functional as well as decorative.  Very enjoyable mods and work together to make beautiful Japanese town even on a small mountain map.  Thank you @angainor88 for all the hard work that went into the mods creation.

The town of Shangri La can be seen here:    http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3947.0

angainor88

I am aware that Japanese people don't just eat miso and wear silk kimonos, but I was attempting to keep production chains simple and use assets from CC to keep things compatible and easy. I may do a version of this mod with longer and more complex production chains, but it will take a while (after I've squashed all these bugs).

I didn't want to do generic Asian buildings, but keep to authentic Japanese style (which has evolved over centuries, like any country). Every single one of my buildings is based on a real building or style of building. They span the eras from Jomon and Yayoi pre-history to before the Meiji restoration, which is why there is such a mix of styles for you to choose from. And, yes, China and Korea had a big influence on later styles, like the pagoda and schoolhouse.

With respect to the houses being too big, it's a problem with Banished only allowing nuclear families lol. Most cultures have large houses for extended families, Japan included. I tried to scale them down a bit to fit into Banished, but I understand it was only partially successful.

I'm glad you all tried out my mods, even if some of you didn't enjoy them as much :)

TheOtherMicheal

I enjoy these Japanese mods a lot.
I like to start a map with the Celtic themed buildings and then expand towards the vanilla Banished buildings including those mods from Kid and Red Ketchup to make medieval looking towns.
From there I have enclaves of other societies, which is where the Japanese buildings come in to play. This is exactly the sort of thing that Kid mentioned earlier.
I do not care one little bit if it is not realistic or historically accurate, it's my map and I am building towns for my own enjoyment and I love how distinct the Japanese buildings are from all the others.

River

Love the mod, just one question: Why do some of the buildings have to be so BIG?? The hospital, school, bathhouse, and others....massive. I play Tiny, and wish there was an alternative for smaller buildings. That's all. Otherwise, it's great.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!