News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #1: Most People Inside a Market Radius

Started by solarscreen, May 30, 2014, 02:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

I just want to check that I have the time right for the ending. Midnight GMT?  If I read the chart correctly, Alaskan time is -8:00, so that would mean it ends at 4pm on Sunday for me? 

RedKetchup

GO GO GO  ;D

me, i m in wait of challenge number 3 ^^  8)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: solarscreen on June 07, 2014, 07:51:54 PM
@slink I would have liked to see you just reclaim the few that overlapped the radius and then keep building. It does get tough though.  I think these challenges can benefit us though in learning how to make less than perfect conditions work and succeed.

That may be so, @solarscreen, but I don't work for you.   ;)  Seriously, removing every house that had a corner on the yellow line, on the portions of the circle that are deficient by one-half-to-one square, would have lowered my eventual total house count to below that of RedKetchup's.  In that case, what was the point in continuing with that design?  It had to be fixed right, and that meant rebuilding all of the houses. 

Just to be clear, I did not concede because it got tough.  I conceded because I had lost.  I lost because I had failed to comply with the rules.  Building exactly the same number of houses in exactly the same positions and orientations around a symmetrical marketplace should not result in only partial compliance with the rules, but it did.  It was my misfortune to begin building on the "fat" quarter of the circle, or I would have detected the problem before the contest time was almost up.  I also began it with the intent to become a manufacturing center, which I had never tried before, only to discover that I don't enjoy building those and so did poorly at it.  The colony would have survived my belated conversion back to a self-sufficient farming community had I not had to rebuild all of the houses.

The Valley of Death challenge I declined to enter because it is too tough for me, to the point of requiring that I display masochism on order for me to play it.  Hard, harsh, and small are definitely not my thing.  :P ;D

mariesalias

I thought, according to the rules, we could have a corner on the line?  Anyway, I am going to assume I have until 4pm my time and will have mine posted by then. .

My seven-year-old has been very much in a 'mommy phase' the past couple weeks so I have had less time to game and post on forums then normal. But the advantage of having a grown son already means I know how much I should embrace these times with my younger son and enjoy them while they last. :)  My older son is going to be 28 next month, it doesn't even seem possible! Feels like he should still be a child still, too!

slink

mariesalias

Alright, I went back in and deleted the two houses that were sort of touching the line.

Ending stats:

Year 90, 860 population, 255 houses and one boarding house, 678/86/96

6 trading docks trade for over half their food. 17 woodcutters, 14 pastures (10x20 or smaller), 14 hunter cabins,  4 blacksmiths, 5 tailors, and 6 brewers provide the products that are traded for food, logs, stone, and iron (as well as many of the warm coats and steel tools). Population fluctuates between 850-870, but without building more houses it will start start having some small birth/death within the next few years. it should be mostly stable around 830-860, with no further houses, depending on the effort put into trading and managing population.

Final screenshot:

mariesalias

This should be the save. It is/was from Steam, with latest patch, I believe.

I'll post more pictures later and catch up on the thread as tonight is a raid night and I have to get dinner and all finished first. :D   Good luck to everyone else!

@solarscreen The challenge was fun and I enjoyed it, even if it was stressful and made me play outside my comfort zone. :D  Thanks for creating it!

Bobbi

Bobbi

If the competition ended at 8PM my time, I got in just under the wire.  :P

Year 55, 293 houses 922 population, 633/131/158. Nasty illness right at the end, prior to that no sickness at all.

Bobbi

Here is a screenshot with more details of food and stuff

RedKetchup

woah you both beat me !!!!!!

extremly very nice job both. i guess , maybe, if i would have run it like +20 years ... and done some tweaks....
but also, i chose to make 2x2 houses blocks instead of 2x12+ houses, lost alot of spaces just for Inside roads cause .... it seemed to me more efficent walking paths.

Congratulations ! i considare i ve lost ^^ hehe
you deserve the win :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Kaldir

Nice to see those towns of you all. To think that you put more people in one market radius than I ever had in a game at all. :D

It was fun to read about your progress and see what you made of it. Early congrats to @Bobbi, although @The Big Chihuahua will have to chew on the save file for a definite judgement.

Admin

Congratulations are in order! 

I have loaded the sav file and verified that @Bobbi is our first Forum Challenge Winner!

The screencap shows 922 citizens, however, when I loaded the sav file, it was at 911 citizens AND 18 stone houses still being built.  :o

This market radius could have easily supported 1,000.

I want to thank everyone who took the challenge and posted their results and attempts.  Life can get in the way sometimes but more opportunities are coming up!

@mariesalias and @RedKetchup you had fantastic entries as well.  Well done!  I know you will be tough competition in the future!

slink

Congratulations, Bobbi!   :D  I hope you have fun in your private area for Champs, at least until someone wins the Valley of Death so you have some company.   ;D

Edit: Oh, and here is what happens if you suddenly acquire hundreds of herbs, when you have had none at all for quite some time.

Bobbi

@slink , that is hysterical. I mean, I have seen a stream of people headed for the herbalist before, but never that many!  ;D