News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: Paeng on September 17, 2015, 08:18:01 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on September 17, 2015, 07:22:12 AMI imagined you travel fast 10x

No way... I can't enjoy at that speed, it feels like watching a movie at fast forward. And after a few years of fast forward I don't know of my peeps anymore, they're all strangers...  :-\

that tender heart !!
Also I tend to get attached to my Bannies!
since the game came out I built only about 3 or 4 cities!
then I saw them grow and let them go every time is a pain ..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 17, 2015, 08:30:04 AM
Banished barely crawls on my machine, but still I enjoy it.  If I get a successful village started I like to branch out with multiple communities separated by some green space and usually based on a market.  As far as most players are concerned, I am only an egg.  The largest village I've ever achieved is something on the order of 500 villagers.

I get to a point where I just don't want to cope with yet another crisis, and close the village out.  Of late, I am having trouble keeping the wood demand in balance.  Something I am going to concentrate on in my next effort.

Also I can not reach large numbers of people ..
much depends on my inability to find the right balance resources / people and by my inability to reject the nomads (who has been banned can not banish!)
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

then it would seem that the "ideal" solution (considering the many different ways in which the game is played) is positioned forester / gatherer together (leaving the forester for early planting only) and herbalist alone (perhaps near a forester only plant and then demolished).

A Nonny Moose

Sometimes, my "urban sprawl" overtakes my hunting lodge or gatherer shack.  If this happens I build new ones, then fire the old workers and demolish the old buildings.  Seems to improve the production.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

A Nonny Moose

I've often been annoyed when builders ignore what was supposed to be priority by historic occurrence of buildings to build things that are closer to the centre of town rather than some that are further away.

For example, I placed a forester's hut across a bridge in a handy spot to grow trees, and some sim-years later placed some houses near the centre of town by a market.  The houses got built well before the forester even though there were enough materials to build both, but I wanted that forester, and had to actually force the priority.

I take it there is some kind of preferential algorithm.  Do we have a spec. for it?  Or maybe it is another of the infamous undocumented features a.k.a. BUG?

assobanana76

I always thought that the priority "automatic" was for the houses.
You can order 100 different buildings but if you order a house it will take priority over everything.
sometimes even if I use the tool priority!

Pangaea

Roads seem to have priority over everything, possibly also eating :D

irrelevant

Roads definitely take precedence over all other construction, but I don't think anything has priority over eating; if they can't find food, they do nothing else until they die.

Pangaea

Yes, that one was a bit tongue in cheek, as it seems like roads is the meaning of life once there are some fresh ones ordered.

Turis

Are we playing the same game?!? It's the other way around when I play. Buildings have priority over roads. Besides, just cancel gathering resources to the laborers so they bring the material to the construction sites when there's enough, and then, the builders do their stuff.

Nilla

The priority also has much to do with the distance between the laborers who carries the material, the builder who is supposed to build and the building site. The ones close are getting built first. The one of you who played this game from the beginning, before the patches, can remember that it was a bit different. But in order to prevent these death marches, there were some changes and the people are now more reluctant to work far away.

Pangaea

Yes, I recall those death marches. It made playing on large maps a nightmare with big cities. Probably as a result of that, I've noticed it can take quite a long time before labourers deal with resource collection a bit out of town, but using the priority tool seems to take care of that.

A Nonny Moose

A partial solution I have found is to place stockpiles near resource collection points and near a construction zone.  If you can then get a residential zone nearby as well (you generally also need a Market) things get better for the duration of the construction.

Distribution of food and supplies seem to be the available bottlenecks.  Do stone vs. dirt roads make much difference?

A Nonny Moose

Something I have noticed and find slightly puzzling.  Modern games with free 3D cameras are theoretically able to handle objects on more than one level in the Z direction.  Banished doesn't seem to be able to do this.  I have wanted to put something on the heights of some hills at times, and it just doesn't happen.

Is it me, or does the whole works really want every object on the same plane?

embx61

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 01, 2015, 10:39:59 AM
Something I have noticed and find slightly puzzling.  Modern games with free 3D cameras are theoretically able to handle objects on more than one level in the Z direction.  Banished doesn't seem to be able to do this.  I have wanted to put something on the heights of some hills at times, and it just doesn't happen.

Is it me, or does the whole works really want every object on the same plane?

Yeah, the game has one plane at zero to build on.
So put a structure on a mountain(If possible) and it sinks (Partly) away in the mountain.

There can be a workaround mentioned also by RedKetchup by making the building so high when put on a mountain only the top part will show and the rest is not visible in the mountain.
But the mountains are different heights in the game so a real pain to make this work properly.
You never know where players going to put that building so to mod the proper height is always a guess and strange things will happen.

At least that is my understanding how the game works.

I for one not going to do it because it is IMHO not worth the trouble.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]