News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Foresters quit chopping

Started by buckbeach, July 27, 2015, 09:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckbeach

Never know what site to post these sort of things but two of my three Forester locations have stopped harvesting trees for several years now.  Having to go in and chop with the clear cut method (not an ideal scenario).

I know better to call it a bug, tends to cause a negative reaction, and besides with all the interacting mods, who could possibly figure out where the fault (probably a bad choice of words) lies.

Therefore--- just thought I would mention it starting here, in case someone else sees it pop up.

Buck

A Nonny Moose

Generally, I don't count on the Foresters to supply the need for logs.  When the trees mature, I simply mark them for cutting.  I also tend to think there is something amiss in the Forester scenario.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

@buckbeach how about a screenshot, pictures being worth 1000 words and all....?

purringcat

Ditto to the forester problem.   One fully staffed forester station can't provide enough logs for a single chopper   :(
This issue started when we stopped using the 'more wood' mod because it's included in the CC mods   ???

buckbeach

One of the two showed no production over two years, the other showed 3 over two year period (staffed with two each)  My third location seem to produce normally for a two person location.  Even tried bumping up the others to 3 cutters and not set them for replanting for a time.

Sorry not good at screen shots.
Buck

rkelly17

Quote from: purringcat on July 27, 2015, 02:14:32 PM
Ditto to the forester problem.   One fully staffed forester station can't provide enough logs for a single chopper   :(
This issue started when we stopped using the 'more wood' mod because it's included in the CC mods   ???

Personally can't say that I've ever encountered this problem--I usually supply 3 woodcutters with 2 forest nodes (fully staffed gatherer, hunter, forester, woodcutter, barn, storage yard and 6 houses for the 12 workers needed--see the "Crossroads" videos by pinstar) without problems. Part of my method is to "plant only" for the first several years until the circle is a mass of mature trees. I also clear out all stone and iron with laborers, both to make room for more trees and because foresters will slowly but surely remove it--which means time away from planting and cutting. That helps both foresters and gatherers. I don't use any mods that add to wood production.

Have you looked at other issues that might interfere with forester efficiency such as commute and time spent looking for supplies? Where do the foresters live? How far are they commuting to work? Mine usually live right next door. How far is the nearest food, tool and firewood source? My foresters usually eat from the local barn (where the gatherers and hunters put their produce) and get firewood from the local storage yard. They do have to go a longer distance for tools and coats. How is local food, tool and coat inventory? Citizens will go to the far side of the map to get supplies if they have to. Is there an epidemic going on? Foresters who are "visiting the doctor" are not planting and cutting. Are your foresters educated? Uneducated foresters never quite learn how to cut or plant trees very efficiently, so production is less. These are just a sampling of the interlocking factors that effect how efficiently workers produce in Banished. Hope you find a solution. I still remember my first tool crisis playing Banished. My blacksmiths were producing nothing--and I mean nothing. Everything else looked good, but no tools. I finally figured out that I had told the blacksmiths to produce steel tools and the citizens were taking all the coal to heat their wood houses. So iron tools for all!

A Nonny Moose

I tend to agree that travel (commute) time is one of the real barriers to production.  To get your production workers close to the source of their materials is definitely a good thing.  This means tiny hamlet which must include both accommodation and food supply as well as some creature comforts.

Foresters need a stockpile, at least one wood chopper, housing, food supply (barn or market), etc.  Creature comforts such as herbalists, hospitals, taverns (with fruit orchards), religious facilities can be shared between clusters with some care.

Another thing, is make relatively small pastures, and split them as needed to keep the supply for food and tailors close to them.  I like pastures than hold about 20 beasts at a time, then can be split.  You might consider taking other action with chickens.  A big flock produces lots of eggs.

kee

Check that you haven't accidentaly hit the button to stop them harvesting.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: kee on July 29, 2015, 03:59:45 PM
Check that you haven't accidentally hit the button to stop them harvesting.

Nope.  The only thing I do in the object window is assign workers, and sometimes I do that on the careers panel.  But thanks for your concern.

Running this program under Linux/wine at this time is like racing a snail.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on July 29, 2015, 08:53:50 AM
Creature comforts such as herbalists, hospitals, taverns (with fruit orchards), religious facilities can be shared between clusters with some care.

My understanding is that chapels don't need to be nearby. All you need is sufficient spaces such that everyone in town can be a "member" somewhere to get the happiness boost. I'm not sure about taverns. I tend to suck up all my booze in trading posts to sell--keep those workers' noses to the grindstone, not in their ale mugs. Citizens "belong" to the hospital nearest to their house, so if you have only one they'll all go there. The problem is that people traveling a long distance to "visit the doctor" means they infect lots along the way and the next thing you know there are more sick people than the hospital's capacity. I've never been really good at hospital placement. I once did build a town with the hospitals along the outer edge of the map to pull people away from town when they got sick. Even then some laborer got sick across town from his assigned hospital and . . . . well you can imagine the rest.  :'(