News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

I need a lawn

Started by irrelevant, October 26, 2014, 05:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

Well, I am starting with the stone bridge, which branches off the basic road icon.  I want to see if I can make it truly 2-lane.  That should take me some time, and not interfere with anything.   :)

I tested the fountain mod last evening and I was mildly amazed at the complexity of the menus.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 31, 2014, 07:36:57 AM
Well, I am starting with the stone bridge, which branches off the basic road icon.  I want to see if I can make it truly 2-lane.  That should take me some time, and not interfere with anything.   :)

If you could do that you would replace @irrelevant as the saint of Banished. That is the main reason I stopped building stone bridges after the first one I tried. Cosacks said the bridge insists on centering itself on a single road, so it might require something like @RedKetchup's two-story overlapping graphics to make it work. Maybe two half-bridges?

RedKetchup

at my idea, quickly.... 1 or 3 width is good number, but not 2 or 4 ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

@slink, notice how the castle walls appear to be one width, but actually take up two. I guess it is the same with the bridge. The stone walls @RedKetchup made sit in the middle of one tile, too. Somebody had asked if they could be made along one edge of the tile, and was told it wasn't possible. If you could figure out a way to get around those limitations, you would indeed be Saint Slink.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 01, 2014, 08:01:30 AM

If you could do that you would replace @irrelevant as the saint of Banished.
And welcome to it!  :D

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on November 01, 2014, 08:38:58 AM

If you could do that you would replace @irrelevant as the saint of Banished.
And welcome to it!  :D

See, @irrelevant, you are such a saint that you are even willing to give up the title!
;)

Bobbi

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bobbi on November 01, 2014, 08:20:55 AM
@slink, notice how the castle walls appear to be one width, but actually take up two. I guess it is the same with the bridge. The stone walls @RedKetchup made sit in the middle of one tile, too. Somebody had asked if they could be made along one edge of the tile, and was told it wasn't possible. If you could figure out a way to get around those limitations, you would indeed be Saint Slink.

it is possible to build those fences at the edge of the tile, i didnt got problem with that, the problem was, the person wanted to be able to use both side of the fence, that , it is impossible.
my very very first draw i made back in time was a fence at the edgeof the tile....

let me see if i can find up some very old screenshots here, in my album.

RedKetchup

slink

Quote from: slink on October 31, 2014, 07:36:57 AM

If you could do that you would replace @irrelevant as the saint of Banished. That is the main reason I stopped building stone bridges after the first one I tried. Cosacks said the bridge insists on centering itself on a single road, so it might require something like @RedKetchup's two-story overlapping graphics to make it work. Maybe two half-bridges?
Yes, that is my hope.  I have been struggling with it, with another model.  The model in the fountain mod has no easy way to split it down the center because it is missing any vertices between the edges.  This makes it more efficient for the game, but not easy to split down the middle.

slink

Quote from: Bobbi on November 01, 2014, 08:20:55 AM

As @RedKetchup says, everything in the game takes up at least one tile, even just a thin edge.  The closest one could come is by making that one tile a road-capable tile, and we all know what happens when we do that (see @RedKetchup's gates and arches).

RedKetchup

Quote from: slink on November 01, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
As @RedKetchup says, everything in the game takes up at least one tile, even just a thin edge.  The closest one could come is by making that one tile a road-capable tile, and we all know what happens when we do that (see @RedKetchup's gates and arches).

Exactly !!!!!!!!!

Bobbi

Quoteit is possible to build those fences at the edge of the tile, i didnt got problem with that, the problem was, the person wanted to be able to use both side of the fence, that , it is impossible.

What does it mean, wanted to use both sides of the fence?

slink

Quote from: Bobbi on November 01, 2014, 10:46:03 AM
Quoteit is possible to build those fences at the edge of the tile, i didnt got problem with that, the problem was, the person wanted to be able to use both side of the fence, that , it is impossible.

What does it mean, wanted to use both sides of the fence?
The fence took up an entire tile so there was no way to, for instance, plant a tree on both sides and have the fence just be on the border between the tiles.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 01, 2014, 09:39:47 AM
Yes, that is my hope.  I have been struggling with it, with another model.  The model in the fountain mod has no easy way to split it down the center because it is missing any vertices between the edges.  This makes it more efficient for the game, but not easy to split down the middle.

In thinking about this since I posted I'm having a hard time conceiving of how it might be done. The only way I could think of would be separate right and and left hand bridges, but then you run into the problem that only rarely can you build two bridges the exact same length right next to each other. So often the river bank dictates that one bridge is one tile longer than the adjacent bridge--and I assume that would wreck hell with the graphics of two adjacent half-bridges.