News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Discussions : New Medieval Town v 1.1b => incoming 2.0

Started by RedKetchup, July 02, 2015, 01:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

elemental

The reason I think it would be good to have diagonal wicks is because nearly everything in the game is blocky (square or rectangular) and points NSEW. Diagonal and corner buildings help break up the grid pattern. And with something like the windmill it's probably fairly easy for Red to rotate part of it without having to change the whole building.

RedKetchup

nan it is quite easy....

45 degrees clockwise or counter ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: elemental on December 08, 2015, 01:05:21 PMeverything in the game is blocky (square or rectangular) and points NSEW. Diagonal and corner buildings help break up the grid pattern.

Yes! Many cultures are kinda obsessed with building on a grid... Europeans less so, because their towns and cities historically developed more often in a kinda circular pattern (around a church, marketplace, fortification) instead of along a "main street"...

For a Modeler it is not really a problem to just turn a building 45° to provide an alternative 'diagonal' version... Even though there are no true diagonal streets in Banished, leave it to the builders to come up with clever ways to integrate diagonal buildings in a town... Just make them "roadbound" and this will be easy to do...  ;)

It does wonders to the layout and appearance of a town when it is not 100% dependent on right-angles-only...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

elemental

The master builder Paeng agrees with me...  :D

QuoteFor a Modeler it is not really a problem to just turn a building 45° to provide an alternative 'diagonal' version...

In this case it's even easier because there is no need to rotate the whole building, just the wicks. The base and tower doesn't need to be changed. If the windmill is surrounded by fields (for example) the whole scene will suddenly look very different if the windmill is pointing diagonally instead of at right angles to everything.

More round buildings, more corner buildings... please please please.  :)

RedKetchup

Done :) your wish as been faufilled :)

Added 2 more 'F' variant in 45 degres. keep in mind if you put them too close of another building , you will get wicks clipping into other buildings. ^^
(that was the reason i ve made them in front so it clip over the road in front)

by pressing 'F' or as you lay them down, they will automaticly rotate and surf through the models:

in front , wicks
in front , wicks and sails
in 45 degres, wicks
in 45 degres, wicks and sails

next: watermills :)

chillzz

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif

yes yes yes! thank you ;)
and yes, i agree with @Paeng & @elemental  break the grid!
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

The new Medieval Watermill :)

The Medieval Watermill got a bit of love too in this update :) i still kept the general design but has a more recent look :)
that way also i got rid of the world of warcraft texture (used without permission)

i also made it more 'efficient' than the windmill since it is harder to place it on the map (main river)
the millers will work faster (a bit faster, take less time to mill the grains), and also, they can be 3 working there in this building.

Bobbi

I love it, and isn't it great not to have those "illegal" textures anymore !  ;D

RedKetchup

there wont be any upgrades available for these mills... but i still managed to make an "F" keybind variant :)
i also did all my building process build01 and build02 :)

RedKetchup

and just added another one, a full old bricks version :) all those, in automatic alternate "F" keybind :)

Edit: Next this weekend?  Optimizations of polygon counts on those:
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievallibrary",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalapothecary",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalbutchery",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalclinic",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalbarbershop",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievaldentist",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalbathhouse",
      "newmedievaltown.rsc:newmedievalschool",

Bobbi

I think I like the last one best of all, all that lovely stone. Thank you! The wait is so hard.....

MightyCucumber

Just droped by to say that my jaw dropped. :O My favourite has to be the lighthouse and the new windmill with sails, those look superb. I've been eager for a lighthouse for ages now! 8)

Only minor things that I'd like to point out are the fences around the mills, I think those should be optional - but I don't really mind if they end up in the final version, the awesome buildings are more than enough for me. *.*