News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

technical questions ..

1. how many houses every winter I have to build to meet the dead of old age in a year?
mean number births year = number deaths year
currently I build a house a year but the population is not growing, if not a few units ..
new labourers replace the dead of old age and I can not build a new building productive because I would not have people who can go to work ..
I would like at least two or three new laborer more each year to moderate growth ..

2. if I build a TP on bordering constructible (the last strip of tiles "road" on the river is the last strip of the map), the trader will dock at the TP although his boat will be placed in the "non-constructible area" ???
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

Quote from: assobanana76 on July 02, 2015, 02:19:43 AM
technical questions ..

1. how many houses every winter I have to build to meet the dead of old age in a year?
currently I build a house a year but the population is not growing, if not a few units ..
new labourers replace the dead of old age and I can not build a new building productive because I would not have people who can go to work ..
I would like at least two or three new laborer more each year to moderate growth ..

2. if I build a TP on bordering constructible (the last strip of tiles "road" on the river is the last strip of the map), the trader will dock at the TP although his boat will be placed in the "non-constructible area" ???

1. That's a difficult question. My opinion is, it can't be truthfully answered that way. To me this is the special, intriguing, interesting thing with Banished: The situation decides how many houses you should build. It depends on the number of families, the age of the people, the births, the deaths, the gender of the deaths and the babies .......  It's difficult to have a steady slow growth and you definitely don't get it by building a certain number of houses each year.

Sorry I can not really help you, you have to find out what is right in your present situation. Maybe look a bit at the number of families and always try to have the same % of homes. I mean maybe homes for 3/4 of the families or something like that gives a slow steady growth.

2. The merchants do what they like, go where they want, sometimes disappear under ground........ don't pay much attention. ;)

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on July 02, 2015, 06:05:26 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on July 02, 2015, 02:19:43 AM
technical questions ..

1. That's a difficult question. My opinion is, it can't be truthfully answered that way. To me this is the special, intriguing, interesting thing with Banished: The situation decides how many houses you should build. It depends on the number of families, the age of the people, the births, the deaths, the gender of the deaths and the babies .......  It's difficult to have a steady slow growth and you definitely don't get it by building a certain number of houses each year.

Sorry I can not really help you, you have to find out what is right in your present situation. Maybe look a bit at the number of families and always try to have the same % of homes. I mean maybe homes for 3/4 of the families or something like that gives a slow steady growth.

2. The merchants do what they like, go where they want, sometimes disappear under ground........ don't pay much attention. ;)
mmmhhh ...
maybe we should correlate the average number of deaths per year for old age with the number of births per year ..
or correllate the number of deaths with the number of new students ..
or with the number of new laborer ..

or you just have to go by trial and error ..  ;D
definitely one house built a year does not increase the number of population, that's for sure ..
I can try with two ..

My difficulty is that I can not warmly welcome the nomads who choose to come and live in my village, and their numbers, increasing from time to time, I ruined all the calculations because I have to rush to build houses for all and, taken bustle, surely build more houses than necessary (or better than budgeted)!

for TP instead I will try to build it on the edge of the map, using every last tile of that little space!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

Well, running Windows on that old scout may indeed cause problems.  I guess you must be running an early Windows version such as XP.  I had a similar machine when I switched to Linux because Vista would not run on it.  Since then I've been able to afford an upgrade, but this machine is now getting rather long in the tooth and wont run Cities:Skylines for example because of my rather antiquated GPU.

The reason I switched to Linux (Ubuntu) was because it occupies much less disk and memory space and has a more reliable and faster Kernel (central module).  I haven't had a system crash or hang ever except a few I caused while doing silly things with my keyboard/mouse.  Even if your system seems to be not responding, as long as the Kernel has not died, there is a keyboard sequence to get an orderly take down, saving all files that are currently active.

With this system I have 2 processor cores currently running about 18% each (Browser and System Monitor are the only active user tasks) and 4 GB of real memory of which 0.6GB is reserved for the integrated GPU.  The remaining 3.4 GB has a current usage of 1.7 GB, and my swap partition of 20GB has about 250MB allocated as backing store currently.

Interesting enough is that most windows programs run using either the mono or wine packages.  If utterly necessary, virtual machines can be run, but I don't feel up to all the technical niceties of getting one going anymore.  I've been retired from the systems and programming game for 25 years now, and just want a nice home appliance.

I expect that sometime in the next year or so, I will replace this tower with something a little newer.  I'd like to go up to four cores and a stand-alone GPU.  Most of my storage is separate, so I think it will be via an OEM who will build to my specs.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

in fact I assume that even on my computer Windows XP can solve many problems instead of using Windows 7 ..
but then maybe not many recent games work on ..
and in any case I should find the money for a license ...  :(

A Nonny Moose

It really depends on how computer savvy you are, my friend.  If you are willing to climb a slight learning curve you should try dual booting http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop with XP and add wine to the system.  wine (windows executive) is a JIT system to allow Windows exe's to run.  To run a Windows .net program use mono.  This is without charge to individuals.

assobanana76

I can not consider myself an expert on pc ..  :-\
and unfortunately I have no time, with two children, to climb the learning curve ...  ;D
I think for me the only solution is to set aside some money to buy a computer in step with the times ..
something not too advanced but manages to run e.g. Cities: Skyline that I believe currently is the city building which requires more specific.
in the very near future I expect that Grand Ages: Medieval and year 2205 will increase further the minimum system requirements ..
maybe I should wait for the release of these titles and find a PC that can run them so as to have many hours of play feasible ..

A Nonny Moose

You are not the only one in a hardware deficit situation.  I need a machine with a GPU that is acceptable to C:S.  I have it, but it won't run because of my ancient graphics chip set.

I am not much of a gamer, but I do like simulations.  Banished is fine, but on Ubuntu/wine it runs like a snail.  Great patience is needed to get anything done with it, yet I persist while doing household tasks.

kee

Okay. New tecnical question: I always reduce the number of workers in a pasture to 1, is this wise productionvise? Will more workers give more calfs/lambs/chickens?
Kim Erik

Nilla

I do the same. I haven't seen any difference. If the pasture isn't full, and I don't have a surplus of laborers, I might even take the herdsman away completely. As far as I have seen, the output of wool, eggs (and milk if you play with mods) is still the same. You don't get any meat without an herdsman, but of cause, that's no problem, as long as the pasture isn't full. If I have many pastures and a few laborers, I even let the herdsmen alter between the pastures to slaughter. It seems to work fine as well.

A Nonny Moose

I try to hold it at one, but sometimes even that individual is needed elsewhere.  The beast-holds seem to keep the beasts in.

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on July 23, 2015, 09:51:13 AM
You are not the only one in a hardware deficit situation.  I need a machine with a GPU that is acceptable to C:S.  I have it, but it won't run because of my ancient graphics chip set.

I am not much of a gamer, but I do like simulations.  Banished is fine, but on Ubuntu/wine it runs like a snail.  Great patience is needed to get anything done with it, yet I persist while doing household tasks.
my people at 1x speed move imperceptibly ..  ;D

assobanana76

new technical question.
in the town hall under "Firewood" means "Fuel"?
that is, in the calculation of the material used/product it is included also coal and any other forms of heating introduced by CC under the label "Fuel"?

A Nonny Moose

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on July 27, 2015, 07:51:13 AM
Fuel::=firewood, coal*
thank you!
my mistake. I've read wrong..  ;D