News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

@Discrepancy

For modular Pieces you need a seamless texture. If you scale your UVW piece just make sure they exactly end up at each side of that seamless texture.
You have to play with the size of the texture a bit to get it right looking (Not too big or small).

The selected Red color is the piece of the roof on a seamless texture.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

elemental

Your coke ovens is/are impressive. :)  I'd agree that it's probably wrong to have grass on top. How hot would it get up there? Dirt or gravel would probably be more appropriate. I hope the build costs are fairly high for both the coke ovens and blast furnace.

I can visualise narrow gauge railway/mining carts (maybe pulled by horses?) going under your blast furnace tower. Not sure if that's where they should be going but I think it would look cool.  8)  I don't see them as being heavy gauge railroad like Red's train mod. Definitely smaller tracks, small carts.

Tom Sawyer

I found another image of the furnace but it gives not really more info. Looking at the workers in this photo I guess the pillars are about 1.2 meters and the width of the tower with two pillars and entrance between is about 5 meters at the bottom. That means in game about 3 tiles. Scaled to this size it should be original and people can walk exactly between the pillars. So it was in your first pictures and I think it was right. Maybe better to scale it back to your first size. It also would be more suitable in game if it is not too massive. The texture is great, the left one my favorite.

Your coke oven I like too. And much better without grass. I agree with elemental, if you see grass there in photos it's probably because of beeing a ruin. I tried to find something original for this furnace but its hard. The picture here is a ruin of an old german coke oven which was in use 1860 (at the same time like your furnace). The construction is similar to yours.

QueryEverything

Thank you to @Tom Sawyer for describing what I could not, re the scale :) 

@elemental I like the idea of the tracks, it would look extremely excellent!!  Being the different sizes between the 2 sets, as you said, a transition section would be needed, for any connections.  :) 

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

:) Thanks everyone.

Thanks for that extra picture Tom Sawyer. I will make the furnace smaller again.

I have also made a warehouse building that kind of matches the outer buildings that will probably be an industrial market for coal, iron, minerals, fuels.

I will keep the coke ovens with the set, slightly edited though. If I reduce the Blast Furnace size again, I think I might rebuild and adjust the size of the ovens.
They are beehive ovens under the dirt, you see them in the build model, but I might make another variant that has it noticeable but still usable.

BL/CC's Coke output is 45/55 valued 3, produced at the Stacks Burner for 5 Coal valued at 6 (vanilla coal value).
To me, that is too high an output. 1 Coal maybe = 2-3 Coke.
I was/am tempted to add a water cost to the process...
why does CC make the game easier? and why do the vanilla numbers make no sense?
sometimes I get rather frustrated at this game.

embx61

Yeah, some of the Vanilla values are not that right.

Most modders don't want to mess too much with the Vanilla values though is my understanding but I think we should just do it in certain cases and just share our numbers so all modders can put the overrides in their mods.

Some stuff in Vanilla is already changed like the Vanilla Barns to accept the new Custom flags, same for Trade Post, Stock piles.

If people decide to play with mods anyway what does it matter that some Vanilla values get changed to make it more inline with production?

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Gatherer

Here is some info on coke manufacturing at Salem No. 1 Mine Coke Works in Pennsylvania.

http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.ancestry.com/coke2.html
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

elemental

Quote from: QueryEverything on May 04, 2017, 05:09:52 AM

@elemental I like the idea of the tracks, it would look extremely excellent!!  Being the different sizes between the 2 sets, as you said, a transition section would be needed, for any connections:) 

Short answer is NO! You can't do that!

Long answer is...

I'm imagining small mining carts on narrow gauge rails because it just seems to fit better with a low-tech society. The exact time period of the game is a bit fuzzy but most of what we have is very low tech. A big question is how will these carts be moved? Steam engine (relatively high tech), horse/donkey, or pushed by people? (fun job,  ::) ) Obviously this will affect how big the carts are.

I haven't actually played with Choo choo mod so I'm not familiar with the scale of it but just from the screen shots the engine and carriages look a lot bigger than small mining rail carts. You could certainly have small mining carts that fit on Red's tracks but it might look out of proportion. So ultimately that's up do Discrepancy.

If his tracks do end up being narrower than Red's then you can't join them up because narrow gauge train wheels just won't fit on the wider train tracks and vice versa. This was a real world problem here in Aus. Each colony (pre Federation) built their own railways and they were different sizes and thus incompatible with each other. According to wiki it wasn't until the 1990s that all mainland capitals were linked by a single rail gauge network.

brads3

actually i think you have 2 sets of tracks. the carts go out and dump into the train cars. the carts don't have to go on the same tracks.i don't want to push the heavy carts up onto the platform to be dumped though.dump onto an elevator,elevator feeds the hopper that sits over a trian track section.train car filling station.

RedKetchup

i sent a copy of the choochoo tracks if needed :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

elemental

I'd like to see rails and carts coming out of a mine. We haven't got anything like that. It doesn't have to be a completely new mine, it could be a ghost deco piece that sits next to the existing mine. Could also have some tracks sitting next to a quarry. CC has some great decorative cranes for lifting stone out of quarry and onto rail carts. It would certainly add a bit more of an industrial flavour to the game. Those poor labourers don't even have wheelbarrows. They carry everything by hand.

Discrepancy

I want my blast furnace to operate on Coke or Charcoal, because historically they were. On the other hand Furnace Fuel seems like a strange thing, I don't know why BL didn't just make the production of Charcoal or Coke harder, not making such huge output profit.

I don't know if I should flag Coke as Fuel or Custom3? it was also used to heat homes anyway, like charcoal and peat - those of you living in the low countries of Europe live with the effects to the environment from that particular industry still today.

Do we want to burn Coke in homes?

QueryEverything

Quote from: elemental on May 04, 2017, 06:54:19 AM
Quote from: QueryEverything on May 04, 2017, 05:09:52 AM

@elemental I like the idea of the tracks, it would look extremely excellent!!  Being the different sizes between the 2 sets, as you said, a transition section would be needed, for any connections:) 

Short answer is NO! You can't do that!

Long answer is...

I'm imagining small mining carts on narrow gauge rails because it just seems to fit better with a low-tech society. The exact time period of the game is a bit fuzzy but most of what we have is very low tech. A big question is how will these carts be moved? Steam engine (relatively high tech), horse/donkey, or pushed by people? (fun job,  ::) ) Obviously this will affect how big the carts are.

I haven't actually played with Choo choo mod so I'm not familiar with the scale of it but just from the screen shots the engine and carriages look a lot bigger than small mining rail carts. You could certainly have small mining carts that fit on Red's tracks but it might look out of proportion. So ultimately that's up do Discrepancy.

If his tracks do end up being narrower than Red's then you can't join them up because narrow gauge train wheels just won't fit on the wider train tracks and vice versa. This was a real world problem here in Aus. Each colony (pre Federation) built their own railways and they were different sizes and thus incompatible with each other. According to wiki it wasn't until the 1990s that all mainland capitals were linked by a single rail gauge network.

Yes, well, those that know Aus politics can understand why that might be ;)

Perhaps a platform, such as Flinders or Spencer St stations (here in Vic) where the overlanders VLine & the State lines meet, different platforms etc.  Have in 'ingoing' and an 'outgoing' platform. 

I completely agree with you about the decos @elemental :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

@RedKetchup was kind enough to send me the train track models from ChooChoo. The size of them are not too big anyway, so already can be used with this. There is no point me making my own tracks. But I will make some deco carts that sit on the tracks, and maybe (that is a maybe) a way of having the tracks on top also.

I thought of making a small mine that only extracts iron ore also.

elemental

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 04, 2017, 06:36:25 PM
I don't know if I should flag Coke as Fuel or Custom3? Do we want to burn Coke in homes?

I don't know what custom3 is but if coke is industrial then perhaps it's best to keep it separate from domestic fuel. Isn't that the whole point of those new flags?

Edit: and now I just read your reply in the other thread about CC coke being fuel and furnace fuel being Custom3. Confusing! I guess their furnace fuel is basically industrial coke, except that you can make it from more than just coal. I think from memory you can even make furnace fuel from firebundles which to me doesn't seem very realistic.