News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 04, 2017, 07:06:02 PM
@RedKetchup was kind enough to send me the train track models from ChooChoo. The size of them are not too big anyway, so already can be used with this. There is no point me making my own tracks. But I will make some deco carts that sit on the tracks, and maybe (that is a maybe) a way of having the tracks on top also.

I thought of making a small mine that only extracts iron ore also.

Haha, you all are going to have a few days of piece peace next week :)  Another 5 days with mixed connections ...  I'll be around, but not enough to be a deco nuisance ;) 

Sounds good, thank you both @RedKetchup & @Discrepancy :D :D

Oh, and no comment on Coke - not my ball ;)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Not yet working on the rail parts. But here is the Industry Market:

I made the Blast Furnace smaller again, though still slightly larger than firstly. It is sitting on 8x8 again.

The ovens I am going to make slightly smaller.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I like this one, too. Early industry! Great!

I see one tiny little problem= something to think and work on. This is an industry. It would be logical if it occupied several worker. In that case, it needs a lot of iron and coal. Mines are very unproductive and get empty quite fast, if you put a lot of laborers in it. I guess it will need more efficient, larger/deeper/upgradable(?) mines.

embx61

Looks indeed great.

Scale is much better too now.

I like that roof tile texture a lot.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Tom Sawyer

Yes, very nice picture! The new market building fits very well to the furnace. Industrial revolution for banished people in perfect design. This mod will be a favorite. And I agree with Nilla, balancing will be a bit tricky.

To the charcoal/coke. I never heard of using it for heating homes in real. If people have a pile of firewood they can heat the home with it. For making charcoal they went to the forest to burn it there and to produce a lot of heat too but it was blown into the air. After burning away the half of the wood the rest was carbon which was not oxidized under the special conditions in the pit. So it was a loss of energy but a win of the carbon in its pure form how it is necessary for iron processing. To carry it back home and to heat the house would be a fault because the half of its energy was leaved in the forest after doing a huge effort. So I think people did not do this. They used it for what it was made for.

embx61

@Tom Sawyer

Yeah, I have a dilemma now how to flag charcoal. Some charcoal will end up in peoples homes as it is flagged Fuel/WoodFuel.
Custom3 would be a good choice to avoid that but it will probably screw with CC as they have it as a end product in a production chain and they use charcoal, and other fuels to produce Industrial Fuel(Custom3)

kid1293

@embx61 - set flags in houses as 'WoodFuel' only.

elemental

Quote from: kid1293 on May 05, 2017, 11:08:36 AM
@embx61 - set flags in houses as 'WoodFuel' only.

Good idea but the problem is some people will be playing with CC, and only BL can change their houses.

What about asking @kralyerg to make an override mod to change charcoal in CC?

brads3

does the stop burning coal mod need upgraded to work?

RedKetchup

all the CC mod is made about stop to use coal as fuel.... about pushing citizens to use charcoal instead of simple firewood.
and why would you want to specifically prevent the citizens to use charcoal ?

changing all mod from all the moddler house from fuel to woodfuel isnt a viable option.
i am not even sure if woodfuel would work as intented cause it is possible the code about use flag"fuel" to "consume" is hardcoded.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Discrepancy

From what I have tested, the use of WoodFuel does work. If you set the storage to only WoodFuel & Edible, there can be coal in the piles, but it will never get into the house and the people freeze.

I am going to go to Custom3 for Coke.
There really is not point in people using it in their homes, there is enough opportunity to produce firewood, and I think the way I will work this production it will end up being more expensive than firewood production to heat.
We have good foresters in Banished, the can easily keep up a supply of firewood.

Afterwards I will make an override mod that will allow players to make a version of Coke to heat homes, for those that perhaps want to make a mining only community, with a treeless map...

I have made the Coke Ovens smaller by about 10-15%. They look a lot better next to the furnace, and even in proportion to the citizens. I've added a scaffold, I'm not sure about it yet. A couple of alterations. I think I will offer variants with/without.

I've started some small carts, that will be sit well with @RedKetchup's ChooChoo mod, same size track, they will offer a small amount of storage for either Industrial Fuel (Custom3) or CoalFuel (Minerals), I will also offer some normal early wagon type carts that don't sit in a rail-line, I haven't made these yet. Then onto making the Coke resource model, my own Iron Ore model and then some crates and boxes for decorative additions.

I will post some pictures later.

Nilla

I don't think you need to make that override mod to make it possible to heat coke in homes. As far as I know, in real, people used firewood or in areas where you have coalmines, coal to heat homes; not the more expensive industrial products charcoal or coke. If you'll make an override mod for treeless mining communities, it would be better to use unprocessed coal as fuel.

Tom Sawyer

The flagging of charcoal and coke is clear for me too. Producing it is turning fuel for heating houses (firewood and coal) into industrial fuel for smelting and blacksmithing. It would be annoying if people take away the hard produced material. And we should use a special limit for this turn. So if custom3 is reserved for industrial fuel then why not to put the resources in. But I would do one thing. Give your blast furnace the storage flag Fuel in addition to make it able to consume charcoal and coke also if CC is on top and re-flags your coke to fuel. The same with EB Glassworks. This way it should be compatible.

And I think Red is right about fuel. People always want to carry in Edible + Fuel and it's hard coded. If a house has not the fuel flag then they fall in this bug running between pile and house unable to store the fuel there. They will not burn it but they become crazy.^^ So better not to remove the fuel flag from houses.

embx61

Thanks guys for all the input.

Still not know what to do though besides not tampering with the Vanilla houses Fuel flag.

I have this from the CC spreadsheet.

In CC Custom3 is Industrial Fuel which is produced from FireBundles, Coke, Charcoal, Coal, and Firewood.

They make charcoal from Logs instead of Firewood as it is in Tom Sawyer's the North Mod. That is maybe a good option too as even when people take it into their homes to burn at least not Firewood was used in the producing process.
Otherwise it would have been two steps for CC. Firewood into charcoal and then charcoal again into Industrial Fuel.

My guess is that everything in CC can be burned in the homes besides Custom3 (IF).

I think that CC should thinking about it to add the produced Fuels besides Firewood, Firewood Bundles (What is the difference between those 2 besides they are bundled?) and maybe coal.

Then the IF(Custom3) flag will contain Industrial Fuel, Charcoal and Coke and the problems are solved.

What happens if I add charcoal to the Custom3 flag and players play with both mods?