News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Necora's Work in Progress

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necora

@Nilla right I see, the 4 fur input was the piece I was missing and didn't know about. I will change it for the next update. Oh and when you say something needs 2 for 1, I read that as the production consume/produce of the building, so the building takes 2 in. Next time, say it takes 4 for 2 and I'll instantly know what you mean ;)

@brads3 the way the forest works is as such... When you load a new map, it loads 1 tree file. That tree file tells the game what tree models will appear, what they will be harvested into, and what resources will spawn near them. In the case of the pine mod, the starting tree pack is 'vanilla' with new tree models. The following resources will be spawned...

Beaver Lodge, Blueberry, Cranberry, Chanterelle, Fiddlehead, Foxhole, Herb, Mushroom, Nest, Onion, Rabbithole, and Roots.

So these resources are spawned by the trees. If there is a tree, after a defined period of time, one of these resources will appear next to it. This tree file is also what you tell the forester to use in the forester template file. So the vanilla forester uses the vanilla tree file. He/she will go out and in their radius will harvest vanilla trees for wood, and re-plant them with trees from the same list. It is these trees that then spawn resources, which are the ones listed above.

I have introduced 2 more tree files, Pine and Maple. These are only linked to the specific pine and maple foresters. In these files are select trees and different resources. Now, if you build a pine forester, he/she will pretty much ignore trees that were spawned in another tree list (even if they are the same type). What they will do is cut these trees down to produce wood, but only to get them out of the way. They will be re-planted with the tree from that specific set. It is the same as how the forester will clear iron and stone from the radius to make room for trees. Think about it this way, the pine forester doesn't see the vanilla tree as a tree, but as something that is in the way and needs to be gotten rid of. If they go to plant a pine tree and find a vanilla tree in the way, the vanilla tree is harvested but replaced with a pine seedling. So over time, the forest in the radius will change from vanilla to pine.

The reason you still get vanilla resource in a pine forest is that there are still vanilla trees in there, or on the fringes of it, so they will spawn vanilla resources. But eventually once these trees are cut and replaced with pine trees, the vanilla resources will no longer spawn because there are no vanilla trees to spawn them. Some vanilla resources can spawn themselves, but I'm not sure how much that actually happens, I know I have self spawning turned off for most of my additions.

So if you build the vanilla gatherer next to a pine forester then for the first year or two you will get a lot of vanilla resources as there are a lot of vanilla trees to spawn them. But as the forest is changed to a pine forest, those resources will become less and ultimately none and the gatherer will only pick up the shared resources, in this case Chanterelles.

Oh, and the pine mod will also change the vanilla gatherer to harvest new items, but only the same ones as the vanilla gatherer cache, so the items listed in the vanilla tree file.

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 04, 2017, 02:06:17 PM
nice to see many greenhouses in your screenshot @Nilla ^^
what was the numbers during that time to compare the huts ?
I do love your greenhouses. And I´ve built more of them since I showed the screenshot. I´m doing some experimenting, not done yet, but I´ll tell you more tomorrow. I will also make some notes from the production.

Quote from: brads3 on April 04, 2017, 02:10:23 PM
umm NILLA that is a vanilla gatherer from the mod set though. a normal vanilla gatherer won't harvest the new items.that would stop the competing factor.

Sure, but he will find nothing to compete about, unless he stumbles on something on his way home. ;)

grammycat

Really enjoying the mods  and only 1 comment:  more apples!  They are too low now to make it worth using that forest over vanilla or CC's apple forester. Thank you for all your hard work Necora.

Necora

Thanks @grammycat ! I'll see into the apples, perhaps I reduced them too much.

I have not had much time to create lately, got involved in a project at work at the last minute that has a rather impending deadline. Short story, I gotta take a lot of pictures of a lot of oyster shells very quick and process/analyse them all. But I do get to use some cool equipment like electron microscopes.

I have been thinking though, and had an idea back to the crystal cliffs goat pen discussion. I want to get the opinions of @RedKetchup , @Tom Sawyer , @kid1293 , and @anyoneelsewhoisinterested. Remember the goat discussion? We couldn't seem to come to a conclusion on the best way to deal with small structures like this. Kid1293 posted a cool pic of a small flower garden grower at red's WIP, and it reminded me of an idea I had a few weeks ago but ignored. What about, to make a small animal pen/pasture, but without the pasture, we have the hutch as a forester type building, who goes out and plants chickens or goats in a very small radius. These chickens or goats (trees) would spawn milk or eggs or what ever. They also have a longish life time and don't get chopped down (if we can do that - can you have a forester that only plants and doesn't harvest?) and just die of old age. Do you think something like this would work?

QueryEverything

Quote from: Necora on April 06, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
Thanks @grammycat ! I'll see into the apples, perhaps I reduced them too much.

I have not had much time to create lately, got involved in a project at work at the last minute that has a rather impending deadline. Short story, I gotta take a lot of pictures of a lot of oyster shells very quick and process/analyse them all. But I do get to use some cool equipment like electron microscopes.

I have been thinking though, and had an idea back to the crystal cliffs goat pen discussion. I want to get the opinions of @RedKetchup , @Tom Sawyer , @kid1293 , and @anyoneelsewhoisinterested. Remember the goat discussion? We couldn't seem to come to a conclusion on the best way to deal with small structures like this. Kid1293 posted a cool pic of a small flower garden grower at red's WIP, and it reminded me of an idea I had a few weeks ago but ignored. What about, to make a small animal pen/pasture, but without the pasture, we have the hutch as a forester type building, who goes out and plants chickens or goats in a very small radius. These chickens or goats (trees) would spawn milk or eggs or what ever. They also have a longish life time and don't get chopped down (if we can do that - can you have a forester that only plants and doesn't harvest?) and just die of old age. Do you think something like this would work?

Just turn the forester to plant only :)
I love this idea, with some cool fencing, and it will look like a baby animal farm :D :D :D
Love!
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Tom Sawyer

I think it would be a very strange gameplay with a herdsman placing goats on the ground and chopping trees btw. It also will look static and would not solve the problem of the not animated animal. So I'm not a fan of this idea but you can give it a try. Sometimes the feeling about an idea comes by doing it. And did you try to put the not animated goat in a pasture using the original livestock system? Does it work without animation? That would be my favorit.

Nilla

Try it! If it looks weird; it was an experiment, that didn't turn out well. If it works, it would be an alternative to the "normal" way of breeding lifestock. Alternatives are always good.

Necora

I decided to try out some of the awesome mods from @kid1293 lately, the wild west one in particular. I thought they would go really good with my stuff, so randomly placed a mix of buildings from the two. The biggest thing that sticks out, literally, is there is a huge size/scale difference between the two styles that makes them not blend as well together as I was hoping. I had dreams of such beautiful towns.

So my question, is this just a consequence of many modders with their own styles, and something that players like and are used to, or have I done something wrong and made my buildings too small? I know they are relatively compressed, I prefer it that way, but would like them to blend a lot more with other things. They do fit the CC buildings nice though, for the most part.

kid1293

I guess it is the compact style that makes them look smaller.
If you look at distance from the top edge of the door up to next floor
it is lower than what I have in Wild West.
I have the same feeling with my Rowhouses.
I even made rowhouses a bit higher (to compensate) and left it there.
I am more concerned with the different textures. My buildings
stand out as grey and dull. Actually my intention. Dusty western town.
Yours on the other hand look rather new and fresh.
And I use to group buildings from different modders at different
places on the map. (First some cheap start - then more and more advanced
in clusters all over the place)

edit - the last picture is better. My colonial houses matches yours.

brads3

there is no right answere to this. sometimes smaller buildings fit certain areas more than larger ones.KID'S rowhouses is  smaller but they fit well in a production or mining area.especially near the industrial market. in general most of your buildings fit well with the other mods. the pine cabin and the school and townhall that are made as well as the pine wharehouse do seem small. the hospital, the production areas,the forest sets are a really good fit. the larger houses fit.  if you designed the pines to save space in the forests then you might not want to change them, they do serve a purpose there.you ask 5 people,you will get 5 different ideas.

kid1293

brads3

NECORA,not to be picky but you said the trees should produce at 8 months growth. are you sure it isn't set to 8 years?

Paeng

Quote from: Necora on April 08, 2017, 05:19:51 AMis this just a consequence of many modders with their own styles, and something that players like and are used to, or have I done something wrong and made my buildings too small?

I would not say that you have done something "wrong"... I have only done few play-throughs yet and am still struggling with the sheer amount of items and chains that came out in quick succession  ;)

Different styles are always good - and sometimes they are easy to 'blend', sometimes harder... you have set a quite specific theme (Canadian, coastal), with some strong color accents and very different textures - for me I still need some sessions to find ways to draw things together, not just build a "Necora Village" on the other side of town  :D

As for the "compression" - yeah, there are spots where they seem to be rather small, but then again, there is no really consistent scale in most packs, they all vary... sometimes more, sometimes less obvious. The "trick" is to find placements and groups where they blend well.

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

QueryEverything

Quote from: Necora on April 08, 2017, 05:19:51 AM
So my question, is this just a consequence of many modders with their own styles, and something that players like and are used to, or have I done something wrong and made my buildings too small? I know they are relatively compressed, I prefer it that way, but would like them to blend a lot more with other things. They do fit the CC buildings nice though, for the most part.

No complaints from me, but you knew that would be the case :)

I actually have a nifty little mining town starting to form on my current map and your corner building @Necora fits right in on the corner around a mountain between 2 mines.
@kid1293 buildings then make up the main road.

They fit together really well, as far as I am concerned.

I realised though in that moment, I am severely lacking in corner houses, hahaha.  Happy with what I do have though :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Necora

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

@kid1293 I am happy the colonial houses go well together, your set was an inspiration for this, when it first came out I used it rather heavily and decided I wanted more! It was always an aim to have especially the Sherbrooke set complement yours. I also end up building little towns all over the map, so a Kid one here, a DS one there, a CC/NMT one in the middle. I'm not as good at blending styles together.

I think I will currently leave them as is, but when I get a few more complete sets together (Sherbrooke, Port Royal) I'll build them into a massive town and play around with making them fit each other, and see how they can fit others well (mainly the other colonial mods like Kid's and @The Pilgrim 's awesome houses). I think some of the Sherbrooke houses need a step up, they are small even compared to the school in the same set. Also, I actually wouldn't mind increasing the height of the Pine Set buildings at some point too, that way you can see more of the house beneath the over hangs which at the moment pretty much obscure most of the front of the houses.