News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Crop Seasons

Started by slink, August 26, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 16, 2014, 08:31:01 AM
I've only read the first page of this thread, so perhap you have figured out where it says something about at what temperatures the various crops die. But I noticed that people don't seem to like squash at all. I don't understand that. It can be a lifesaver if cold hits early, because it's very durable. I'm playing with Celsius, and squash only started dying below 0C temperature (which is the point of freezing), and they also die very slowly.

I like squash and pumpkins for just this reason--they survive late frosts in Early Spring better than Beans or some others. I would like a little more realism: The vines freeze in the first frosts but the mature fruit can survive in the fields until a hard freeze. Thus their availability on October 31.

irrelevant

@rkelly17 I'm using a mix of beans, squash, corn, and wheat in Sink Mill. Squash is doing just fine. I don't really understand what was causing my problem with it before. As you have noted, it just laughs at frost and keeps on growing.

@Pangaea Be sure to look at page 4 & 5, I think you'll enjoy the screenshots there  :D

irrelevant

@RedKetchup I don't know if I missed it, or if I saw it and forgot about it, but I just realized that you have already made the changes to "my" crop mod that I was thinking about asking you to do. Thank you thank you thank you. I will test them as soon as Sink Mill reaches cinq mille  ;)

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on September 16, 2014, 08:52:18 AM
@Pangaea Be sure to look at page 4 & 5, I think you'll enjoy the screenshots there  :D

Have had a look at the pictures on page four, and that looks nice indeed. Good variety, and I like that.

With so much open space, aren't you tempted to make a chessboard?  ;D

irrelevant

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on September 19, 2014, 04:53:05 PM
@RedKetchup I don't know if I missed it, or if I saw it and forgot about it, but I just realized that you have already made the changes to "my" crop mod that I was thinking about asking you to do. Thank you thank you thank you. I will test them as soon as Sink Mill reaches cinq mille  ;)

yes i did the other day
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Squash are tough  :) 120s with one farmer, living who knows where.

It didn't start to die until the temp fell from 25F to 24. Bad boys.

Pangaea

Gosh, orchards sure can be frustrating. Are there mods that play with them a bit? I'm looking at the code, and unless I misunderstand, they have an average lifespan of 4 years, and take 2 years to mature. So that is 2-3 seasons before they start dying off. Or perhaps 4-5, I've not watched them close enough to observe yet. In any case, it's a bit frustrating.

Relevant part of e.g. NaturalResourcePlumTree.rsc
    // maximum growth before death, -1 for ever living
    float _maxGrowth = 4.0;

// growth +- some amount
    float _maxGrowthTolerance = 1.0;

// length of growth period to maturity
    float _growthInMonths = 24;

Seems to me that they barely start giving fruits before a few trees dies. That usually means the rest goes soon, so at that point I cut them down (if I see and remember it) so we at least get logs for them. Then it's another 2 year wait. Perhaps they would compete better with farms if the lifespan was increased.

slink

That's what my Immortal Orchards mod does, although immortality might be a bit more than what you are asking for.

Pangaea

Quote from: slink on September 20, 2014, 09:47:53 AM
That's what my Immortal Orchards mod does, although immortality might be a bit more than what you are asking for.

Yes, that would be a bit much, and I also like the idea of cutting down the lot when they start dying, and that feature would be rather pointless if the trees cannot die. Does seem like they last too short now, however, and if they lasted some years longer, perhaps they wouldn't feel so nerfed compared to farms. It's probably more realistic the way it works by default, but from a balancing viewpoint it would be more interesting, I think, if farms and orchards were more equal in performance. Right now, if you want lots of food, the best approach is to farm the lot, so that's what we tend to end up doing.

It would be yet another "make it easier" mod, though :D

irrelevant

Wasn't someone here working on a mod to make trees (both orchard and wild, IIRC) simply live longer, more like they do IRL, right after the mod pack came out? What happened to that?

rkelly17

irrelevant

Quote from: slink on August 26, 2014, 07:20:45 PM
I'm sure this is posted elsewhere, but I have not yet seen it posted here.  Here are the eight standard field crops, sorted by months to maturity and lowest temperature that they will grow, and divided by vegetables versus grains.  This came from reading the resource files in 1.04 Beta Mod Version.

Crop   Months Temp Range Low High Type
Beans 2 65 25 40 90 Vegetable
Pumpkin 2.5 60 20 40 80 Vegetable
Cabbage 2.5 65 20 45 85 Vegetable
Pepper 2.75 70 20 50 90 Vegetable
Squash 3 55 30 25 85 Vegetable
Potato 3 65 20 45 85 Vegetable
Wheat 3 60 30 30 90 Grain
Corn 3 70 25 45 95 Grain

So we have this information for crops. Is there also a similar table for orchards?

JamieIdle2.0

Something that puzzles me. There are 3 months per season and 12 per year. All crops reach maturity within 3 months. Why aren't they fully grown by mid-summer?

irrelevant

The crops in the southwest corner of each field are mature in mid summer. That's where planting started, but planting took some time, a month or more depending on the size of the field.

Also, if it gets too hot, crops will stop growing, based on the values in that table. I've notice this happen a few times, the yield indicator jets stuck for awhile, then starts moving again.