News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How was your Day

Started by Glenn, October 25, 2023, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Yes, very nice indeed.

My tomatoes are still a ways off yet - 'Grosse Lisse' and  'Black Russian' with 'Rouge De Marmande' going in next so it will be a 4-6 weeks behind the others in fruiting

catty-cb

Quote from: Abandoned on November 03, 2023, 02:28:50 PM
oh, your garden looks good.  :)  I'm not familiar with the first 2 tomatoes you mention but I usually grow one sweet 100 plant, one is enough  ;D  The name suits them.

The ponchi tomato produces a beautiful intense flavoured, round red and yellow fruit on a compact plant, and the campari is a type of hybrid tomato and are deep red and larger than a pear or cherry tomato, but smaller and rounder than common plum tomatoes

I have a feeling campari might be called something else in America   :)

Abandoned

Quote from: catty-cb on November 04, 2023, 11:38:54 AM
I have a feeling campari might be called something else in America   :)

That's possible I suppose.  We have a large variety to choose from, all shapes of tomatoes and sizes of plants.  Our growing season for tomatoes is 4 months at best so early varieties are best unless a bigger plant is bought.  Sun ripened homegrown are the best.  :)

catty-cb

Spent some time out in the garden today, and tomato plants now all in their summer pots

Normally on a nice warm evening would have all the doors and windows open, but its Guy Fawkes night tonight so very shortly once it gets dark enough all the neighbors are going to start letting off fireworks, it's going to terrify the cats so they are safely inside and I have the TV on, but they are still going to spend most of the evening hiding ... it wouldn't be so bad if there was a cut off time but they will be going off all night .... all the fire departments are standing by to deal with the fires

If there was ever a vote on this I would ban fireworks unless it was a public display   ???

catty-cb

Sorry forgot to include picture of tomatoes

Glenn

Now, those are nice looking pots an trellises - I haven't seen those styles before.  :)

angainor88

Oh wow your garden looks great! Those rosebushes are really pretty.

We've had our first frost here, but my cherry tomatoes didn't die. I probably won't get to see the rest of the green ones ripen though haha. I don't remember the variety though, something Tom maybe? Yours look like they're coming along well.

catty-cb

The tomato pots are called Tui Tomato Grow Towers

https://tuigarden.co.nz/product/tui-tomato-grow-tower/

Have them sitting on upside down plant bases which have wheels underneath so I can move them about the porch.

Quote from: angainor88 on November 05, 2023, 01:23:23 PM
Oh wow your garden looks great! Those rosebushes are really pretty.

The white rose is Alberic Barbier and the reddish one is Mrs F W Flight, I had this one in my previous garden and couldn't take it it with me so found a rose farm that was selling it

catty-cb

@angainor88 was going to post a comment over on the mod, to say thanks for the american  housing cos @brads3 has-been using them over here

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/762603-meet-the-bannies/?page=3

And they look great, anyway re comment on mod it was acting a bit weird possibly cos I was trying to do it on my phone so I gave up and posted here  :)

angainor88

ah thank you @catty-cb !

I still need to add my stuff to the simtropolis site and update WoB on the american housing one. Some day I will find the time to do things...

But this week I need to do all my (USA) thanksgiving planning, especially as I am hosting this year. Someone else will bring the chicken, but I have to figure out sides and desserts etc. Not hard to do, really, but I have been putting it off. And I have to bake some bread this weekend too.

catty-cb

Quote from: angainor88 on November 09, 2023, 11:30:49 AM
...Some day I will find the time to do things......

Yes that's the tricky bit finding the time, I've got a list that never quite seems to get smaller   :)

We don't have thanksgiving in New Zealand, instead we have something called Matariki which takes place mid winter here (July), traditionally it was an occasion to mourn the deceased, celebrate the present, and prepare the ground for the coming year, today its probably a bit like thanksgiving but its more a community event rather than just families last year our town closed the main street off in the early evening and had an outdoor party for everyone who wanted to attend.

Glenn

Well it's Sunday afternoon, it's hot outside 34C 94 F, and a day to keep out of the sun and catch up on other things, and a break from the garden.

So I thought I would share with you a few photos of a project I've been working on

The first photograph is my garden shed surrounded with kangaroo paws and the paving I've laid

The second is my garden shed and vegi garden

The third is that of Clivias alternating down the side of the house -  peach, yellow, Belgium Hybrid, and cream/yellow when in flower.
Out of sight in the courtyard are, green, apricot, bronze, yellow/cream, bi-colour, orange and others.

I battled for the last few years to get the lawn to grow in the area, but as it's shade covered in winter it was a loosing job and a constant annoyance, so I gave up trying and laid pavers instead -  and having finished it turned out quite well and was something I should have done much earlier.

PS   As an added bonus I lost 5 kilos doing the job ( which took several months ) and I'm now back to my more normal weight.

catty-cb

Looks really good   :)

Am tempted to turn some of my lawn into paving be a lot easier to manage, but my last attempt at paving around the three raised veggie beds put me off ever doing it again

Glenn

Thank you,

And I agree, laying paving isn't easy at times.

The old grass had to be dug out, and the ground levelled, slopped and curved

And of course, when I came of square from the shed and square from the house the two didn't line up,  and it took forever to work out a pattern and angle that brought the two together as best as possible.

It's not perfect, but it was the best I could do.

Next will be two small areas where you come out the back door, and a place for a few agapanthus -  a compact deep mauve variety called "Bingo Blue"  :)

Abandoned

oh, it does look very nice, I like the shaded area with all the little pots.  :)