News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.1 - Walls

Started by RedKetchup, April 21, 2015, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michbret

Wonderful work Redketchup ! I can't wait to test it in game.

However, I would make some suggestions based on what I have seen on similar medieval defensive structures in France:
- Some access to the summits of the walls and the towers should be available like external stairs alongside the wall or internal stairs inside the tower (invisible) but with an opening on the top of the tower. May be trick like the second/third flour house could be used
- With the same logic a gate in the tower should give an access to the top of the wall (may require a bigger tower)

That provides accessibility and continuity to the "chemin de ronde"

http://www.fond-ecran-image.com/galerie-membre/france-alpes-maritimes/chemin-de-ronde-du-chateau-de-roquebrune.jpg
http://www.culturecommunication.gouv.fr/var/culture/storage/images/media/dracs/drac-bretagne/images/documentation/dossiers-documentaires/hunaudaye/chemin-de-ronde-courtine-ouest/295425-1-fre-FR/Chemin-de-ronde-courtine-ouest.jpg

That's just ideas. Just drop them if they are too complicate : The current state of your work is very nice !!

And thanks for your great work.

Best regards

Michel

RedKetchup

yeah you are right Michel. Tu as tout à fait raison :)
I've got the same idea when i saw my walls connecting to my tower :) J'ai eu la même idée lorsque j'ai vu mon mur se joindre à ma tour :)

Thanks alot for the good comment :) Merci beaucoup pour ce bon commentaire :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

chillzz

hmm the suggestion of @michbret could work if the walls are working like roads, so they are pathable.
it could help as shortcuts, especially if you can combine them with your wall bridge.

and as always, damn good work @RedKetchup :D keep it up! of course will translate when needed.

Quote from: noobee on April 26, 2015, 02:38:08 AM
Is the door on one side only, it's not obvious on pictures? I guess all sides should be road enabled. And more then one door would make sense, farmers put goods in one door outside of the castle and vendors pick them up from the other door inside the castle.
that does make no sense at all since those walls would protect a city and its citizens against dangers from the other side of the wall, like @RedKetchup already mentioned.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

i was playing civilization V and .... my game crashed lol

so... i was looking at this, those suggestions :) i lifted up my tower... and i was looking at make doors... and ... i encountered a problem.
the problem with the idea is : you dont know where people will put walls. there is 4 possibilities a player can put wall next and imbricate to a wall tower, and you dont know which one, and you dont know how many walls the player can decide to build and imbricate to the tower^^ it can be 1 , 2 , 3 or 4 walls.  i cannot make all the possibilities !!!!

1: south, or north, or west, or east ?
2 south and north, or west and east, or north and east... or south and west... etc
3: south and east and west ? or north and west and east ? etc..
or even all 4 ?

overall 21 possibilities ;lol

thats half of the problem, the other half is : the pathing

again i dont know where people will put the wall, so to open the path in that those unknown direction. if i open all 4 ... if there is a wall, or there is none, the citizen will pass. and if i put a floor on top of the tower (like bridge have a floor) the citizens will jump from the ground and bang, at the top of the tower, and then 2 step further, bang they will jump to the ground ^^

there too i cannot do all the possibilities ^^

chillzz

hmm ..
what about this :

1 tower with no doors
1 tower with 1 door (doesn't matter where, since user can 'R' for rotate. so only one way to 'exit' / path
1 tower with 2 doors (opposite to each other)
and maybe 1 tower with 3 doors (opposite to each other, 1 to the side)

doors as in path able on high level.

wall  |    path   |   wall

and maybe make the top part of the tower  Redketchup overlap technology tm so it will work on either bottom half (where door is inside wall)

RedKetchup

but there is already a door at the bottom, to the ground, thats the barn. if you rotate, you will put that door everywhere else !

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 26, 2015, 08:14:38 AM
but there is already a door at the bottom, to the ground, thats the barn. if you rotate, you will put that door everywhere else !
see addition to previous post.

and there should be a limit to what is possible..   there are limits, like you can't put a mine or other buildings everywhere either.

RedKetchup

yeah... the limits are there ^^

but for the look.... it looks gorgeous though ^^

noobee

As chills suggested, you could use your overlap tech, that way you only have to make one additional wall piece with a door, and it would fit ether side. As for paths, I don't really understand how that works. Will it screw up pathing if you make all 4 sides of the tower walk enabled, will people fall down through walls?

RedKetchup

Quote from: noobee on April 26, 2015, 09:42:50 AM
As chills suggested, you could use your overlap tech, that way you only have to make one additional wall piece with a door, and it would fit ether side. As for paths, I don't really understand how that works. Will it screw up pathing if you make all 4 sides of the tower walk enabled, will people fall down through walls?

yes they will fall.

i would need to define the possibilities myself :S like that one :

chillzz

just thinking.. what about overlap technology  in the centre of the tower ? road enabled and buildable. top of tower will fit on the centre of bottom half of tower.

RedKetchup

for the moment, the harrowed door serves to go ontop of the tower  :P

RedKetchup

Quote from: chillzz on April 26, 2015, 10:28:00 AM
just thinking.. what about overlap technology  in the centre of the tower ? road enabled and buildable. top of tower will fit on the centre of bottom half of tower.

you cannot build something in center of something else nor you can let an hole for something else in middle of a building.
this is why my 2-3 story are built ' to the side ' of the previous 1st floor.

chillzz

ghehe cool..
i was just brainstorming, dunno if it would be possible.. but somehow you get things done which do seem impossible at first ;)

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 26, 2015, 10:29:40 AM
you cannot build something in center of something else nor you can let an hole for something else in middle of a building. this is why my 2-3 story are built ' to the side ' of the previous 1st floor.
not even with the overlap.. like you used in root cellar and medieval buildings.
or uhm like road enabled trellis or gate in decorative items?