News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.1 - Walls

Started by RedKetchup, April 21, 2015, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 04, 2015, 04:48:16 AM
i agree about those moats with walls look, and are in fact, more canals than moats. and i ll act accordingly. i will tag them as 'Canals'.

Do you think 'moats' should have some water or not ?
water plus crocodiles!  ;D

This is a "canal", your looks decidedly a "moat"!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=391959029
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Paeng

Quote from: Gatherer on May 04, 2015, 12:55:16 AMCan the bridge over the canal not be built using overlap technology?

How would you path that?  ???

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 04, 2015, 04:48:16 AMDo you think 'moats' should have some water or not?

Well, as per definition "A moat is a deep, broad ditch, either dry or filled with water"... So whatever you decide, you can't go "wrong"...  ;)

Personally I won't need moats as I'll mostly build city walls, not squarish castles...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Here what i have decided (after alot of hesitations) :

new toolbar icon inside the New Medieval Walls called : New Medieval Moats

inside the 2 first icons :

New Medieval Moat - Dry  (screenshot 1)
New Medieval Moat - Water (screenshot 2)

i will keep the brickwall ones for the New Medieval Canals

i hope i filled all hopes of everyone :)

PS.: i will try to find out a level tool to put those back to 0 level ground.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

Can you build two water filled moats side by side if you want them wider? To me a moat should be wider. And I really like your "canal" better than any other I have seen, are you going to release that too?  ;D

thomas-709

The merchant / fisherman will be functional on the water?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bobbi on May 04, 2015, 07:30:13 AM
Can you build two water filled moats side by side if you want them wider? To me a moat should be wider. And I really like your "canal" better than any other I have seen, are you going to release that too?  ;D

each moat are 1x1 so if you want 2 x 1 wider, you can just put another 1x1 to make it wider :) you can even build something like a lake... just need to add those 1x1 dots :)

Quote from: thomas-709 on May 04, 2015, 07:43:41 AM
The merchant / fisherman will be functional on the water?

merchant ? perhaps. depends if this 'deepwater' tag really work. thats a job for a beta tester ^^ (soon they will test moats in next build). about fisherman.... no, you cant build a fishing dock there, unfortunatly. but i can maybe see for a specialized fish farm :)

thomas-709

trés bien Merci je testerai cela dé que possible :p

Merci pour la ferme trés bonne idées =)

RedKetchup

about the merchant : yes :)

if you place a trading post in a lake without access, and you build a canal (moat) ...
this moat will serve as access to the lake and to the trading post. the merchant will effectively use it to get to the TP

and if you are enough ingenious, by building moat, and then after 'remove' them... you can even build a TP on the canal !!!!!!! and then rebuild the graphic of  water all around it lol.
and merchants will go to that trading post built on a such canal haha

seems not working for fishing dock though ^^

also as you can see in screenshots... looks like i will need to adjust my textures for a better looking p ^^
i am calling that ' HACK!! ' lol

michbret

Impressive work Red !

I didn't thought that my idea for a moat would have such a successful output !

Thanks

Michel 

chillzz

:o no way! wow

if you could place those 1x1 moat markers on slope / water, you can actually 'dig' a canal which visually would connect.. nice!

concerning moat / canal.. a moat can be empty or with water, but 90% of the time it will be with water, as a defence mechanism.
usually a moat has stone sidings on the castle/city/fort side, and a grassy slope on the other end.
But there are moats, especially in the old water defense line of the netherlands, which have stone sidings on both sides.
Usually in cases where the moat has been dug when there were no other bodies of water that could have been adapted to a moat.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

yes you can connect to water, the moat can be built everywhere... but the visual isnt great. too bad i cant put the same water effect (particules) as the real water.

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 04, 2015, 12:22:09 PMbut the visual isnt great.

I think you should just build simple locks or a spillway at the canal ends... if you give them a slight overhang, the transition from canal to game water should look pretty cool...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Bobbi

Just when I think I can't be amazed more, wow. Little boat people use the canal.  ;)

chillzz

looking at one of the pictures with the merchant on the canal...
if you would go 1 level deeper, wouldn't it be equal to river height/depth?
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

rkelly17

OK! Now we're talkin'!!! Maybe bring back the "moat" with the stone paved sides as a canal? Now we can cut through those exceedingly annoying little land bridges that cut off a nice lake from the river.

Merchant behavior is at times incomprehensible.  :-\