News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I must correct your correcting @Necora. ;)

Of cause, different places, different way to make things, but we, too heat our house to a large part with wood. It's similar to @Abandoned; but we have very little trees ourself, so we buy most of the wood from our neighbors. It's never big trees, they are too valuable, to sell to saws and papermills. It's mostly thin trees, that are taken away, as the forest is thinned out or tips and thick branches; waste from logmaking. Of cause this is a countryside area with a lot of forests close.

Necora

@Nilla can I now correct you correcting my correction? ;) Actually, I'm just clarifying. It was not the size of the tree I was contesting, more the ability to just go and collect it from the forest as if you are gathering sticks. Even thin trees are not things you would forage for you need to log the whole tree, or use left overs from logged trees, whether it is 10 inches in diameter or more, it is still not something you just go an pick up off the ground. If you split wood that is 6-12 inches thick, yes that is a thin tree, but it is also still a relatively tall tree that needs to be cut, not a shrub or fallen limb. Even if you do collect fallen limbs, they still need to be chopped and dried. My point is, to heat a home with wood, you don't simply collect it from the forest and chuck it into your stove. You need to harvest the trees, cut, chop, and dry the wood, and this counts no matter where in the world you are. This is why the chopper profession to produce firewood in game makes sense, rather than just collecting stuff. If that was the case, why don't we just burn wood straight away?

I don't know of a fuel that does not need some sort of refining to be used to heat a home. Be it reeds, wood, coal, they all need to be processed some way. Adding a resource that you can collect straight from the forest with no additional work is not realistic, and also makes the game easy. Now, like I said, I don't mind having the forest produce some firewood in small amounts, we still need kindling etc., and it is good if you have a condition where the trees are more sparse, but it is not something that should be able to fill your needs with out processing wood into firewood, or reeds in to fire bundles etc. In this case, I think it would be better to just increase the amount of wood produced per tree, which I think is rather under-powered in vanilla banished anyway.

tanypredator

Maybe very small amount of dry twigs, then a building to process grass/reeds into some fuel brickets with a big decrease coefficient (so that a full meadow of grass with one thatcher and one drier give the same amount of fuel as one forester and one woodcutter, or even less) and small increase of tree yield :) All sounds good. Only this stuff requires great amount of testing.

Bartender

Thanks for the information everyone :). Though we risk getting into debates about geographical differences again, it's actually a great thing to receive feedback from all around the globe! Living in a country where having a fireplace is only associated with 'rustic romanticism', it's nice to read some firsthand accounts of how gathering firewood works in practice :).

As for the mod, we're currently testing some ideas, to see how they influence the availability of firewood. Our main goal will be to keep it as close to vanilla levels as possible. We'll share it once we've reached a conclusion ;).

ancientmuse

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but dried poop is also a common fuel that's used, particularly in the arctic regions beyond the treeline where wood is virtually non-existent.  It burns for a pretty long time and doesn't give off a horrid smell like you would think.

And it's a good way to make use of human and animal waste that naturally occurs on a daily basis anyways... 101 uses for "fertilizer".

Just thought I'd toss that little tidbit of useless trivia at you guys.

:P

tanypredator

We already mentioned this idea :) The problem is that easy way to get fuel is most important at the beginning of game, when you don't have any animals. It only can be simulated as some building like cattle shed (if I understood right, that is the way RedKetchup has made it), consuming grass and producing dung brick fuel.

Bartender

Dung as a fuel is an interesting concept indeed ;). I am afraid though that it doesn't fit within the scope of this mod, at least not currently. We would first have to learn how to do animations for Banished before we can even think of starting on animals ;).

Perhaps some day we or someone else might pick up on the dung, and produce the shittiest mod ever :P.

QueryEverything

Quote from: Bartender on May 12, 2017, 04:29:59 PM
Dung as a fuel is an interesting concept indeed ;) . I am afraid though that it doesn't fit within the scope of this mod, at least not currently. We would first have to learn how to do animations for Banished before we can even think of starting on animals ;) .

Perhaps some day we or someone else might pick up on the dung, and produce the shittiest mod ever :P .

Hahahaha, so happy that someone else said that too now :D  That has made my day !!! :D   Thanks @Bartender for the giggles :D

"produce the shittiest mod ever"
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Bartender

Ever since you suggested the name, I sincerely believe that it would be worth making a mod like that just for the endless stream of poo jokes ;).

QueryEverything

I often put my dirty sense of humour on my teenage son.  "not me, he said it first"; sadly though, this was all me.  Haha.  :)
I now wonder what came first, my nonsense or his.  To be honest though @Bartender et al., I think we all know the answer to that one!! 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Abandoned

Seriously, you guys, an endless stream of poo jokes? What a bunch of crap!  LOL  :D ;D

Paeng

Tehehe... reminds me of the days we did the Simpeg Agricultural Mod and announced it as SPAM...  :D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

ancientmuse

Dung as a fuel is an interesting concept indeed ;). I am afraid though that it doesn't fit within the scope of this mod, at least not currently. We would first have to learn how to do animations for Banished before we can even think of starting on animals ;).

Perhaps some day we or someone else might pick up on the dung, and produce the shittiest mod ever :P.

Call me crazy but modelling a simple little wooden human outhouse where a Bannie can work at with a backhoe animation (like when they work a field) producing/gathering dung regularly would actually work pretty good.... with no need for animals at all.  Just some wood to build the outhouse originally at the start and then you're good to go.

People poop daily, so it's not an unrealistic job.

The "Poop Collector"

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think ?

Necora

Quote from: ancientmuse on May 14, 2017, 03:13:10 PM

Call me crazy but modelling a simple little wooden human outhouse where a Bannie can work at with a backhoe animation (like when they work a field) producing/gathering dung regularly would actually work pretty good.... with no need for animals at all.  Just some wood to build the outhouse originally at the start and then you're good to go.

People poop daily, so it's not an unrealistic job.

The "Poop Collector"

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think ?

Introducing the honey man with his honey wagon...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/outhouse-property-title-registration-government-land-ownership-1.4069536

Wandering down the honey lane.

ancientmuse

@Necora

OMG that story is hilarious !!

See see ??

There was a worker who had to go around collecting the "honey" from the outhouses back in the day !

Nobody wants that perfume-y job, but hey somebody's gotta do it... amirite ?!

*bursts out in an evil cackle*