News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Tiny thoughts

Started by kid1293, August 22, 2016, 10:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denis de la Rive

Hey kid, I see you can program nomads to arrive every year, and set a fixed number range. I have a question, does the number have to be a %, or can it be a specific number? I ask because what you have done is exactly how I would like to see the mission work, a representation of steady conversion of natives. Its something that could add an interesting aspect to the game that I have suggested for CC. Also is it possible to control the possibility of sickness? BTW I really like your smaller buildings, they are balanced and add so much to the game.

Tom, I like yours as well!

Nilla, you must be a good player to try this! What climate are you using? Computerlady has a you tube series with harsh weather that might interest you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj-11M3ODLk

kid1293

Sorry to tell you, the nomad numbers have to in % of population.
Min-Max value. Set them equal to 'know' what's coming.

The arrival-numbers are very suspect. The only thing nomads want
is to come first half of the year and leave in autumn. I have tested
a lot but can only make it stable once a year.

A mission? Sounds interesting. Yesterday I was looking at pictures from
old missions in California. Very old and nice buildings.

edit: the sickness levels should be able to control. I just haven't
understood the numbers yet.

kid1293

kid1293

uhuh..
All evening testing for diseases. No luck.
Now at 10 PM I fouond that my population had to be 250
when testing if nomads spread diseases.

So @Denis de la Rive, it's possible to change the
chance of nomads spreading disease by rising the population limit.
But that is not what you meant, eh.. ?

There are other numbers too but I have to go a couple more hours
to test if they can be changed.
These numbers are local to my 'nomad space' - attractor, so they
can easily be adjusted. I tell you more tomorrow.

Denis de la Rive

Thanks for looking into this, and yes a mission would be nice, just makes sense in so many periods as well, I'm thinking in terms of the medieval conversions along the Baltic for example, as well as colonial times. I was just wondering about how diseases work, not really as a feature of any kind of mission. What I think is most important is a steady, (yearly would be logical) arrival of a small number of nomads, (1 to 2%) to simulate the constant flow of converts. If this can be made to work then it opens the door for additional buildings like a landing dock for immigrants as was commonly used in the 19th century to populate the Americas. There should also be a way to balance this by building cost, or with an upgrade system to reflect the investment in off map resources.

The mission is one of the three ideas that have yet to be added to Banished that are simply logical to consider. The other two are turpentine, and the fur trade.

I'm always interested in discussing how Banished works, because there are so many possibilities even within the limits we have to make the game better. Its also great to share what I understand about the game.  :)

kid1293

Been running for hours tonight and my population is HEALTHY!
No single outbreak of anything. It's frustating.
Well, never mind the diseases then. They come when they come.

The landing dock can be made small (maybe f-key variants)
without the restriction of building just one.
Then you should have some kind of control over how many
immigrants you get by building several docks.
On the other hand I don't know how the game reacts to several
identical nomad attractors. The most I have built is four, but they had
different names.

And yes, absolutely a 1% mission for role-playing and the historical aspect!
I don't know how to combine the mission building with some
other function. It's rather complicated to make these 'tabbed' menus.
Town halls we have plenty. And only nomads seems like wasting a
good building.

:) Much to think about!

Nice link

kid1293

YES!
Don't bother about the building. It's an old testfile.
But - I have combined church and nomads!
Working as it should. Maybe large menu, but this can be grand.  :D

Nilla

Nilla, you must be a good player to try this! What climate are you using? Computerlady has a you tube series with harsh weather that might interest you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj-11M3ODLk
[/quote]

Yes, I think I´m quite good at Banished, at least I´ve played a lot and like solving problems. Of cause, I´ve choosen the worse conditions I can think of; the Nordich harsh climate. I haven´t played CC for a long time, so I can´t compare it to the very harsh climate there. I started to blog the town. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1280.0

The video from Computerlady might be interesting, but a bunch of videos (i peeped into version 9) each more than 20 minutes. That´s nothing for me, sorry.

kid1293

@Denis de la Rive - Been studying missions and one that got me was
San Buenaventura. (Check the link a few posts back)

Here is another link from early 1800 which layout the grounds.
(edit: no no no, the link is not from 1800) :)

What if - all the building to the right of the mission church could be made into
residental buildings? Houses, lodging houses, even rowhouses.
You should of course be able to build them as you want!
Add school and a doctor and you have a complete mission to put at the outskirts
of your map.

Denis de la Rive

Nilla, visited your CJ, and really like what you are doing.

Kid, what a great idea to combine the church and the nomad arrival, was not certain what could be done in this direction. I've noticed that each nomad generating structure is independent, I had two groups arrive at the same time in different versions of this function, (also have used 3 or 4 at the same time). When you consider the impact of a 1% arrival number it becomes less important as you grow, (after you reach more than say 500), but could be important early on. Since you can refuse them, it can have the impact you want.  I thought about disease and finally there is no valid reason to change that from the normal way it works, its rather a nice incentive to make your towns healthy.

I looked at the image you posted and such a complete complex would make a great addition. Its a lot to do, but would work well with your row houses, and other small town buildings. I think that having all the basic essential of a colony in such a compound is a way of making it unique, and if the building fit together like in the image, (row house style), it will add a flavor to many a town, and be very useful in expanding its area. You can also add some monastery buildings, (apiary, ale, herbs, and others, - I can research this -, relics for red's coins and happiness), to make it even better, and then it becomes a multi-function mode. This would also fits nicely in the medieval landscape.

I'm thinking that the nomad generating building should be limited to one, first so it isn't spammed, second so it doesn't replace the other buildings like it, and to keep it balanced.  It could eventually upgraded to a something that isn't nomad generating, for late game use. To make it interesting it could be a chapel that is added a larger church, or not?

I wondering how difficult it is to change textures in your existing models? That might be a way to cut down on the work, and increase compatibility with your already wonderful buildings.

:)

kid1293

It's late. A short answer.
I can not make myself change the rowhouse textures.
Because I mapped them when I did not know so much about modeling.

It's awful to think about. I put at least 3-4 times extra work into them
the way I textured them, and would be forced to either redo them or
put equal amount of work into them again. No way!

I'm about to build a mission church and take it from there, one building
at the time, as long as I like to do it. I haven't thought about how big
I want this project. Some sort of distillery comes to mind. Honey. Herbs.
But most of all - agricultural (and some animals)
Mission hostel, some rowhouses, school, infirmary...
It's all in the future.
Night! :)

Denis de la Rive

Yes, it must have been a real nightmare! You're right one building at a time, anything you make will be wonderful!  :)

Tom Sawyer

Hi Kid, I have a tiny thought to your aging mod. I think the values are good and similar to the other  realtimeaging mod. Maybe 45 is a bit too old to get children, but no matter. I have another idea to make the game more exciting and it's also in the citizen.rsc:citizen. So it could be done only together with an aging mod.

In my opinion, happiness is too insignificant in the game. A church or tavern is not really needed and it's a pity imho. All the new stuff and no need... I think it would be interesting if happiness would be more important.

There are some lines to define requirements for happiness. How many kinds of food for instance. We have more and more modded foods but the requirements are still vanilla. Maybe that's a reason why happiness is out of the game...  Maybe it's worth a look. What do you think?

kid1293

So you mean that the bannies live with a 'happiness-intoxication' and
whatever we do, they are in heaven?

Sounds like modern days dilemma too. :)

Let's keep this discussion open.

Tom Sawyer

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. ;)

These yellow stars are always filled whatever we do. 9/10. Many buildings make happiness "by the way". Happiness here, happiness there. And no need to build a real happiness building like a church or the tavern. So these buildings are out of the game or only decorative item. Boring. I want to care about the happiness of my people. That's why I thought of an increased requirement for happiness in the citizen.rsc. Maybe an increased min food value.

Another way would be to remove the "btw-happiness" from some buildings. For example the trading post (should be only for trading) and a well (should be only for fire protection). The tavern is for happiness and works in a much more interesting way. Just some tiny thoughts to make the game more exciting.