News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Suggestion: Production bldgs should store produced goods

Started by Yandersen, January 27, 2017, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemental

Ghosted is a good idea. But you could do both ghost and normal. That should keep everybody happy.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

TheOtherMicheal

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 14, 2017, 02:05:14 PM
@TheOtherMicheal The cheat in it is to be able to store millions of firewood on 0 game tiles. If more of these storage objects I suggest to make them with the same capacity like standard piles (250/tile) and not ghosted. Just to keep storage capacity and required area in game.
I do actually agree with you about that and if I was still playing Banished as the survival game it is originally intended to be, the ghosted firewood storage would be far too overpowered. I can also understand that for The North which preserves the survival aspects of the vanilla game, that the ghosted storage makes things a little too easy.
But with the use of Colonial Charter and other mods of that scope, Banished is not a survival game for me (and others) anymore, it's a city building/resource management game.

Tom Sawyer

That's a good description. But citybuilding and resource management need required area to make sense. To create ghosted storage is the same as if we go in the resource templates and set weight = 0 for endless capacity. And what to manage then in the resource management game? Does not matter if in CC or with another mod. We already have this trend to remove requirements and limits from the game. Also required area by making things smaller and cheaper. In this way we are reducing the game more and more until there will be nothing left than a decorative scenery and the last step of reducing space is to make it ghosted (0 tiles). So if we want to keep the game alive we should keep its functions and limits. That's why I think better not to continue making ghosted storage buildings.

RedKetchup

ok np. anyways, it was just to help the guy with its problem :S and at the end , he wasnt even liked it and he wasnt even grateful " gah your things are ugly  raww raww raww"  :-[

i will add the footprint to it 1x1 , 1x2, 1x3 wont be ghosted anymore :)

QueryEverything

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 15, 2017, 01:25:31 AM
ok np. anyways, it was just to help the guy with its problem :S and at the end , he wasnt even liked it and he wasnt even grateful " gah your things are ugly  raww raww raww"  :-[

i will add the footprint to it 1x1 , 1x2, 1x3 wont be ghosted anymore :)
Please name it another name though, there are those of us that do love these little storage units, I like that I can put them around a building for an aesthetic reason etc. :D

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 15, 2017, 01:19:43 AM
That's a good description. But citybuilding and resource management need required area to make sense. To create ghosted storage is the same as if we go in the resource templates and set weight = 0 for endless capacity. And what to manage then in the resource management game? Does not matter if in CC or with another mod. We already have this trend to remove requirements and limits from the game. Also required area by making things smaller and cheaper. In this way we are reducing the game more and more until there will be nothing left than a decorative scenery and the last step of reducing space is to make it ghosted (0 tiles). So if we want to keep the game alive we should keep its functions and limits. That's why I think better not to continue making ghosted storage buildings.

Valid point, but shouldn't it be "user discretion", if an artist wants to design a piece and have it ghosted, or a player asked for a piece, shouldn't it then be up to the end user if they want to use it?
It's not being shipped with a bunch of ghosted items, the game is now run by modders (to an extent) and all of the downloads are optional @Tom Sawyer , the same as someone wants to play hard, and The North another will want to play on Easy and add a bunch of ghosted items - a narrative for the story can be written for either.

Some days my bannis' are lost and alone and they find an abandoned shelter, other times they are world travellers, advanced party outpost builders, sometimes they live, most recently they have not.  haha.

My point is, that if @RedKetchup is happy making a ghosted storage, then cool, it won't take the edge off from players who want to play to the original vision, and play hard. :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Tom Sawyer

Sure, everyone is free to create mods and to use it or not. Also funny or cheaty things. It's cool. But why not also to talk about game functions and trends of our mods or how to improve the game and keep it alive. I think in this case of ghosted storage it is worth a thought.

Nilla

I can agree with almost everything, that's said on this thread about the ghosted storage. I like the survival aspects of Banished. To me ghosted storage is "cheat", I have no plans to use them, but I also think, that they do have a purpose, if you look at the city building aspects of Banished. Normal mixed stockpiles don't look good. These ghosted storage do look nice. With them, you can put small storage of firewood on places, where they are supposed to be, without regarding if it's a "buildable" area or not. There are so many mods, that takes away the difficulties of the game. One more doesn't matter. If you don't like it, don't use it.

So @RedKetchup, If you want to make an "unghosted" version of the nice looking storage, it's fine, but keep the small ghosted ones the way they are.

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 15, 2017, 01:25:31 AMwont be ghosted anymore :)

Correct me if I'm wrong - but is the problem not that the ghosted item offers storage (and so can be "abused")?

To me it's a beautiful model of a wood pile in the first place - primarily I want it as storage (un-ghosted), and I want it as decor (ghosted)... a ghosted version with storage capacity is a cheat, and therefore fun - so I want it too, to use at my own discretion.  Plus it's cool to know that it CAN be done - other ways to use this technique might follow ;)

On a more serious note - keeping the game "alive"... I think to ensure that, it has to stay attractive to the broadest possible range of players - from the hardcore survivalist, to the number-crunching economist, to the easy-going town builder who doesn't give a hoot about rules, to the moody player who wants a different type of town each time he starts over... to name a few  :)

I do maintain that the best way to reach "everybody" is to stay as modular as possible - it's the only way for players to create their own suites of (matching) mods and and difficulty-levels, with or without "cheats", to play the game just as they envision it.

And it's the best way to add themes - again, think Egypt, Inca, Vikings, Asian, jungle, desert, deep forests, water worlds,  swamps, northpole and and and)...

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

hmm interesting discussions. so do we want 2 different mods? 1 for decoration and 1 for use?? personally i wish we could change the looks of the vanilla game piles and stacks,TOM did change some in his north mod. but to make a mod that changes them that works under NMT or CC might not be possable. i use some market mods to store logs and stone so i don't have hundreds of stock piles.am i cheating?? i don't check all the capacity numbers.if so it is not done to cheat it is done for looks and function.the vendor does make clearing areas faster.but in reality the game wasn't designed for each bani to use a cart to move goods. that aint my fault. we now have barns to hide piles with also. the bad point to that being you can't click on the pile to see how much is in it.and the building style may not fit everyones towns.
  that last line brings us back in  a circle: everyone plays different.mods are the same way. there are several mods that i don't use for various reasons. they don't suit my style. there are also many mods that i added  because i wanted just part of the buildings. most of my mods are used that way. i don't build every building of every mod. may not be historically correct but stuck in the forest is anyone thinking style or would you build with whatever you find to be practical??
   if there was a way to change how the piles look that would be the best solution. then players can see the piles and still click on them. if that will not work then, make new piles as ghost decorations to set over the piles. you have the new look but no storage by themself.

brads3

i agree with you PAENG,there is a time and a place to use the technique. like to add storage to an exisiting building. but i doubt it can be modded to the building so we is back to opening the door to someone to use it as a cheat.if you took the firewood and added a pile or 2 to a chopper as storage,but my understanding is a building can't serve 2 functions. do we serve the PC crowd and add warning labels to mods??lol.
   but paeng plays different and cheats just to make us all look bad anyhow.but in doing so he gives us good pics and pushes us to think about our villages differently.he seems happy at it so he can't be totally playing wrong.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on February 15, 2017, 07:29:11 AMbut paeng plays different and cheats just to make us all look bad anyhow.

I'm tempted to resent that statement...  :D

Do I play differently? Yes, most probably...
Do I cheat? No, unless you consider using e.g. small forest items cheating... (else I usually note it in my journals).
Do I want others to look bad? Certainly not! I only like to share my joy for juicy images... and maybe some inspiration.

But I guess you already knew that  ;)

brads3

lol,glad you didn't take that bad. i actually thought you use the debug cheat to make some of those towns. more playing as a city builder than survival.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on February 15, 2017, 09:08:10 AMlol,glad you didn't take that bad. i actually thought you use the debug cheat to make some of those towns.

No, debug is for beta testing... or sometimes of course for quick "promotion tours" I do for new mods or releases...

* Well, I may debug an occasional item, like I hate "growing" fences in thick forests (more an eyesight problem), or adding some bushes and props in late towns, just before the final photo session... but not to advance a town before its time, or because I lack the resources or such - my towns are natural growth...

Quotemore playing as a city builder than survival

Oh yes, for sure... the survival part only interests me for the first 20 or 30 years (right, I'm not the Adam&Eve enthusiast), so once I'm "over the hump" and pop stabilizes, I concentrate on building. So - Business before Pleasure...

The building part is definitely my main reason for playing Banished, but I also enjoy the economy, like trading, keeping ahead with food, tools, clothes, fighting occasional shortages and all... but I don't really want 200 years of struggling with 50 beans a year... from a certain point on I want my town to be handsome and comfortable   ;)

RedKetchup

so what exactly you need ?

i already made for firewood....
Training camp has one for the logs...

what else ??