News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Quatre Bras: incorporating mods

Started by irrelevant, October 14, 2014, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I almost never build stone roads. I'm stingy.  ;) None in this town so far.

Oops, except in front of the town hall, as decoration.

Coug_r

Quote from: irrelevant on October 23, 2014, 09:00:52 PM
I almost never build stone roads. I'm stingy.  ;) None in this town so far.

Oops, except in front of the town hall, as decoration.

I think stone roads are a good investment. When you see the difference in pace speed between dirt and stone roads, you can easily imagine the productivity benefit.

I usually pave my roads progressively: first the ways between "business centers" (markets, trading posts...), then the main roads throughout the map. I don't pave all the roads, but I try to make sure there is always a quick option for long walks.

Pangaea

There isn't a great difference in speed, so I can understand not building them. Probably not worth it. But I like the look of them, so have paved every single square in my 3100 town. Naturally that requires stone import, but it looks nice, so why not :D Never do in the beginning though, as surface stone is too precious for buildings, especially when I'm forced by firewood shortage to change to stone houses.

Coug_r

Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 06:01:11 AM
There isn't a great difference in speed, so I can understand not building them.

True, actually the difference in speed, and the usefulness of stone roads, is a lot increased using the mod Faster Roads (makes dirt road 2x faster and stone roads 3x faster).

Nilla

A long time ago I read, that stoneroads make the game slower. I don't know anymore where I read it, and cannot really believe it. I always wanted to test it, but always forgotten. Have anyone heard of this?

Normally I make stones on my main roads, but not always, I don't think it matter much. I may also make some, if I want a special, more civilized looking settlement. :)

Pangaea

Quote from: Coug_r on October 24, 2014, 06:35:23 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 06:01:11 AM
There isn't a great difference in speed, so I can understand not building them.

True, actually the difference in speed, and the usefulness of stone roads, is a lot increased using the mod Faster Roads (makes dirt road 2x faster and stone roads 3x faster).

I agree with that, but then I consider that mod to be an outright cheat. It's not realistic at all, either. You're not going to turn into Usain Bolt just by moving from a more country-like dirt road and onto paved roads. A slight increase makes sense, so the +20% of the vanilla game is perfect in my mind. Perhaps means it's not worth building them, unless you have a mountain of stone laying around, but it's certainly better than the outlandish increases in the Faster Roads mod.

irrelevant

Autumn 25 - It's a pretty time of year, especially with @RedKetchup's wonderful creations to provide additional visual interest. Tearing down wooden houses where I can, replacing them with 2-story Little Houses, which I love.

Sure wish I had a bakery  ;)

@slink's little markets make it a whole new game; me, the market spammer, still has just one regular market.

irrelevant

irrelevant

Summer 27

Still just two TPs. One would have been enough.

1-3) South, middle, north.

4) Falling behind on houses, so I need to build a few farms. @slink's Snug Houses are perfect in my farm grid, 3 wide instead of four, will put the barns closer together.

Early Winter 27

There's some farms. ;)

irrelevant

This is what a late snow in early spring does.

Nilla

I can remember I had it that way once, worse than this. Than came the autumn and believe it or not, the frost came so early, that it wasn't even time to harvest all of that, left on the fields :(

Unfortunately I made no screenshots from the fields, but I have saved one of the food-graph. From all of my games, the worse harvest I ever got.

I can remember I had a few busy years after this. :)

irrelevant

Oh my, building even such a modest park as this is extremely tedious and expensive. The hedges! Each tile is 2 logs, 4 stone, 5 herbs, and 25 labor units.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on October 26, 2014, 09:34:44 AM
I can remember I had it that way once, worse than this. Than came the autumn and believe it or not, the frost came so early, that it wasn't even time to harvest all of that, left on the fields :(

Unfortunately I made no screenshots from the fields, but I have saved one of the food-graph. From all of my games, the worse harvest I ever got.

I can remember I had a few busy years after this. :)
@Nilla  I can imagine, what a tremendous food crash! Something like that certainly takes years to recover from.

irrelevant

This little park cost like 100 logs, 400 stone, and 250 herbs, plus labor and tax  ;)

And while I was micro-ing its construction, I fell behind by ten houses.