Do Forester Huts interfere with each other the same way that Fishing Docks do?

Started by Tilleen, September 26, 2015, 02:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilleen

I generally put to forestry huts side by side in an area and have one of them cutting and plant and one only planting?

Is this a good idea, could I have a line of huts and have them each bring in a reasonable number as long as they did not run out of trees?

Nilla

To my experience, they interfere on each other. I made some experiments at the beginning; also the same as you, with two foresters close. But as far as I saw, these 8 foresters didn't make much more wood than 4. Like two close fishing docks; they bring more fish than one but if you count the catch for one fisher, like the amount of lumber from one forester; it's much less.

And what's the sense of letting the people in one hut only plant and the other only cut? If you let them all plant and cut, there are still 8 foresters out there in the woods, doing what work is necessary.

So is it a good idea or not? As always in Banished; there's no straight answer to that. It depends on what's important for you on that map: If you have a lot of laborers and need a lot of wood from a limit space, it might make sense to put them close. If you want to get as much out of each worker and the space is not so valuable; I wouldn't let any foresters hut interfere on each other.

Tilleen

The reasoning is that one of the foresters cut and plant, and the other just cuts. This seems to mean that because the cut only forester is only doing that job, s/he can harvest more, but the planting by the other forester is able to keep up with the cutting from both foresters.

Since I have just had a get culling of my population, I am going to turn off one of the foresters and see what the harvest is like and see what I get.

The above scenario seems to work well in "Wide Lands".

Nilla

Sure, this one forester who only cuts, makes more, if he doesn't have to plant as well, but the planter makes 0. I am quite sure, that if both made both things, it would not give less wood. And in a case where they do a lot of other things; getting food, idling, visiting herbalists.................. your method might even give less. What is, if the cutter makes more of these other things than the planter, or the opposite? I think it is very hard to manage the best ratio cutters/planters. If both make both things, the program will manage it for you. I think it will work more reliable that way.

irrelevant

I have to agree with @Nilla, I don't believe there is any advantage available in doing what you describe. If you are going to have two forester cabins, in general it's best to give each one his own forest.

There are things you can do to maximize your log output though. Have only educated workers (educated foresters get 3 logs/tree, uneducated get only 2) and have lots of laborers. It is laborers who go out into the forest, pick up the logs the forester has harvested, and take them to storage. If you have insufficient laborers, the forester will have to do this himself. I can imagine this could easily cut his production by 50%, or more.

ChicagoCurmudgeon

You can get a significant growth of forest with two huts. Just put each at 2 foresters. The "overlap" should cancel because the maximum number of workers is the same. The gatherers and hunters do get extra area to work in from this if you have an oval valley.