News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Game over.

Started by assobanana76, August 10, 2015, 06:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on September 03, 2015, 08:39:34 AM
This is a stochastic simulation, and it has algorithms to drive it in such a way that it will never stop growing and posing conundrums for the player.  I would suggest it is very much like SimCity 4 Deluxe where you can never win but only lose.  To paraphrase the three laws of thermodynamics:

• You can't win.
  • You can't break even.
  • You can't get out of the game.

One small quibble, you can make it stop growing. But you certainly cannot ever stop the conundrums!  ;D

assobanana76

Quote from: irrelevant on September 03, 2015, 08:14:26 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on September 03, 2015, 08:04:16 AM
I understand that this oscillation "constant" of the population is obtained WITHOUT the construction of new homes, right? (after all, if you're not in front of the pc ..)

seeing the last picture ..
your proportion houses / citizens is about 1/3
your proportion houses / families is about 1 / 1.5
your proportion laborers / workers is about 1/3
your proportion children / adults is about 1/15

I would not get to a thousand people, but far fewer 300/400 .. .. so I tried to parameterize your results with my possible outcomes ..

we could say that reached these proportions you can try with the auto-pilot?
I would not take my proportions as a prescription. My town is 0% educated. That has a huge impact.

My suggestion is, if you want to try autotrading, just set up your best guess for your trades, save the game, and let it run overnight. If your town dies, you can revert to your save, and you haven't lost anything. And in the meantime, you will have learned some things and your next trial will be better. Adjust your trades and try again tomorrow night, and the night after. That's basically what I did.

I always thought I would set the auto-trading only once bought all the seeds.
and as I did not come to that, I had never raised the issue.
however it is an experiment that I could try ..
10x speed in one night I suppose at least five years elapse ..
and then I could find out in five years as the population varies.
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

This is a stochastic simulation, and it has algorithms to drive it in such a way that it will never stop growing and posing conundrums for the player.  I would suggest it is very much like SimCity 4 Deluxe where you can never win but only lose.  To paraphrase the three laws of thermodynamics:

• You can't win.
  • You can't break even.
This means that even if you do not build houses, however, the population will never fall to 0 if I have at least a minimal amount of houses, food and firewood ..
but you should understand how this is to maintain a minimum population to the minimum necessary ..
if e.g. I production buildings that require 100 people, how do I make sure they do not become 90 ..
if they became more (110-120) no problem (I would have more laborer) but less become a problem especially if not busier eg the woodcutter / forester
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

• You can't win.
  • You can't break even.

:D ;D  ;D That's a good one!

@assobanana76; No one can tell you how to do this in your settlement. Like the others say; give it a try and you will see what happens. Even a very good experienced player like @irrelevant has his blows and had to go back to earlier saves a couple of times, as he started his experiment. You need a good balancing and you could never be certain, let it run, make some adjustments, let it run again. If it's successful; I don't know, but you will learn a lot.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 04, 2015, 03:32:24 AM

• You can't win.
  • You can't break even.

:D ;D  ;D That's a good one!

@assobanana76; No one can tell you how to do this in your settlement. Like the others say; give it a try and you will see what happens. Even a very good experienced player like @irrelevant has his blows and had to go back to earlier saves a couple of times, as he started his experiment. You need a good balancing and you could never be certain, let it run, make some adjustments, let it run again. If it's successful; I don't know, but you will learn a lot.

yes .. there are probably too many variables and the only way is to try ..
a question .. but if I set auto-trade and get a merchant with the seeds I can intervene to buy or not that seed?

Nilla

Of cause you can. You can also buy more goods, than you set on auto trade manually.

irrelevant

Just be sure to set your auto-purchases to happen when the merchant leaves, not when he arrives. If auto-trading takes place when the merchant arrives, you may not have enough goods left in your TP to trade for the seeds. All of my auto-purchases are when the merchant leaves.

On 10x I do 25-30 years overnight. Even if your machine runs very slowly you'll probably do more than 5 years.

The first night I let it run, the town died, ultimately because I ran out of firewood. Don't put too much firewood in your TPs! I have about one year's worth of fuel production in my TPs, and I have three years' worth of fuel production in normal inventory as a buffer.

assobanana76

I thought I set the auto-trade only once obtained all seeds.
and coal use in the city (best cost / production) and keep the firewood for the TP

Nilla

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 07, 2015, 02:45:23 AM
and coal use in the city (best cost / production) and keep the firewood for the TP

I hope you mean charcoal, because coal is very uneconomic to use for heating.

And to auto trading: I mostly trade when the merchant arrives. The reason is, that I use auto trade because I am lazy. The machine should to the job. And if I want to buy more than I set for auto trade, there's no use to  auto trade when he leaves. But as long as I need seeds I don't auto trade.

You might do some compromise; use the auto trade if you are not at the computer, than it doesn't matter if you trade when i arrives or leaves. Than turn it off when you're at the computer and trade manually.

assobanana76

oh! of course! my mistake! I meant the charcoal produced by the CC building ..
yes, it seems a good compromise .. use auto-trading only when I got all the seeds and not in front of the pc ..
perhaps begin to do work at night alone will allow me to get the year 100 in less than six months !!  ;D

A Nonny Moose

I did not load up the charcoal burner building.  This just increases the demand for logs, so one wonders whether there is any point.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

but are you sure?
seems to me the opposite .. that same logs the charcoal burner produces more fuel ...  :o

Nilla

Yes, @assobanana76 you are right. If I remember it right; the charcoal burner produce 11 charcoal from each log, a woodcutter/sawmill only 4 (all educated). The charcoal burner is extremely profitable. You can put 2 workers into it and it produce ~2500 fuel each year, if it's good located using fewer logs than a woodcutter that produces only 1/3 of that amount. It feels almost like a cheat to use it.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 08, 2015, 04:38:59 AM
Yes, @assobanana76 you are right. If I remember it right; the charcoal burner produce 11 charcoal from each log, a woodcutter/sawmill only 4 (all educated). The charcoal burner is extremely profitable. You can put 2 workers into it and it produce ~2500 fuel each year, if it's good located using fewer logs than a woodcutter that produces only 1/3 of that amount. It feels almost like a cheat to use it.
ihihihihih you're right .. in fact when I discovered I felt a bit of cheating .. but I was in yet full emergency fuel and then from then on I was never able to stop me from using it!  ;D
two woodcutters, with 8 forester producing logs, not enough to heat all the houses!
It was simply a charcoal burner to fix it!
using small maps can not afford more than two forests!

RedKetchup

i never undestood those numbers. they are too much OP
cause that it costs absolutely nothing to heat. should have been 4 or maybe 6 charcoal per log
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .