News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #2: 500 Farmers

Started by solarscreen, June 10, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Oh, and I counted: there are 28 cemeteries with 2351 total gravesites, of which 239 are currently available.

rkelly17

I've been at a convention since Thursday morning and I'm blown away by what you have all been doing. Amazing work, people! Wednesday night I was pushing hard to break 500 farmers before I left, but I started getting epidemics every second or third year.  >:(  Every time I thought the epidemic was beat some idiot would be idling behind a hospital (usually in a place where they'd climbed a mountain and threaded through 3 storage yards to get there) and start the whole thing raging again. So I didn't break the barrier.  :'( But I have today and tomorrow, so who knows. Still room to expand and I like the town so maybe I'll finally get the 200 year achievement (I've already made three population achievements with this town).

RedKetchup

Wow Awesome job @irrelevant , your town need to be placed on the Banished UNESCO World Heritage list :)

YOU WIN ! Bro, you win !

:D :D :D :D :D

i was trying to fix the total mess in Farm City. i deleted like 3 dozens of barns, 2 dozens of houses(in too much populate zones versus food available), which converted in additional crops(or making bigger the ones side of them). and then i started to try another fix, too many wood house (like i said earlier, i was trying to do a 50% 50% wood stone, and it s just bad. tons of houses snowflaked :( even with my 28 woodcutter, they dont provide.
then mumps disease shown up.

i rather give up. (Geronimo is way well better built)

so i wont provide the new .sav (with fix attemps) and will provide the old one with only 680 farmers :)

so CONGRATULATIONS @irrelevant :)

ps.Unless a silent dark horse show up with something godly.... you win :)
Grats !  ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

This is my old save of Farm City - 680 farmers :)

slink

I knew someone could beat 522 farmers.  Several someones, as it happens.  *chuckle*

Bobbi

No need to worry about this girl dark horsing. I haven't even broken 500. Have over 1200 pop, however. Most I've ever had before was 922 (Market Circle challenge) PC has slowed to a complete crawl with over 1000. Not much fun at all. Congrats @irrelevant, if you are the winner. Great job, all!

mariesalias

I will have to see what I can accomplish tomorrow. So far I am only at 1686 population and 329 farmers, with default farmers. Here's hoping I can break 600 before it ends. :D   I have too many barns though, starting to lag a little.

rkelly17

Last night I finally broke 500 farmers. Nowhere near 680, of course, but at least over 500. Here are some shots. The first few are of the info windows. The Winter scene is what I finally figured out to do with played out quarries: Back a hospital up to them so the little so-and-sos can't idle behind the hospital! The last 10 years or so have been one epidemic after another, so I was getting desperate. Wouldn't want to do this when the quarry was still working as all the workers would then get sick, but once it's closed no one goes there. The final picture is one of my farm areas. This one was fairly large so it lent itself to a pattern of 9X9 square farms, but you'll see a few others to fit into smaller spaces.

irrelevant

@rkelly17  Congratulations on 500+!

I really like the way you have the farms laid out. Looks great! Very attractive town.

How much do those barns fill up? I always agonize over barn placement, seems they don't fit with any scheme I try.

mariesalias

@rkelly17   I love your solution for the hospital and used-up quarry!

RedKetchup

Congrats @rkelly17 very nice city :) 520 is not bad at all

mariesalias

I was not able to get to 500 farmers before time ran out. I got up to 460 though so not too far below. On the other hand, got my town's population up to 2100, so I am happy about that! :)

Good job to everyone who participated!

mariesalias

Okay, went back and finished it out! 501 farmers and 2300 population, with default farmers on every field/orchard. 

It is not completely stable though; food stockpile is decreasing every year. I only have 6 tradeports, I think I would need more to maintain this population. I pushed the population growth faster then I normally would have to try to finish by today just so I could say I finished, even if it was a few hours late.  ;D

Thanks for hosting the challenge @solarscreen, it was a lot of fun!

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on June 30, 2014, 09:47:28 AM
@rkelly17  Congratulations on 500+!

I really like the way you have the farms laid out. Looks great! Very attractive town.

How much do those barns fill up? I always agonize over barn placement, seems they don't fit with any scheme I try.

I can't take credit for the farm layout. I learned it from @slink, especially the four 4 times 9X9 with houses and barns at the center. I did add the 9X4 plus 9X5 orchards in the one 9X9 space to maximize trees. In this challenge I left the fields at their default 2 farmers, but the layout actually works better with 1 farmer per field, since then you can house all 4 farmers in the two houses.

As to barns, well, I'm never completely sure either. In the 4 times 9X9 farms the barns are as much aesthetic as practical. They are almost never full--usually only 5% or so. On the other hand, you never run out of storage space.

Quote from: mariesalias on June 30, 2014, 10:25:11 AM
@rkelly17   I love your solution for the hospital and used-up quarry!

Yes, isn't that clever. I wish I'd thought of it a long time ago. I really needed another hospital in an influenza epidemic that got way out of control right at the spot where the quarry was. I was trading for stone and had way more than I needed so the stone cutters weren't working anyway. Then they idea hit me: Shut it down and use the empty quarry to limit idling! Am I brilliant or what?  ;D  Seriously, the citizens make me quite upset with them because of their insistence that they absolutely MUST idle around the hospital no matter how many really nice idling areas I provide or how ugly and inaccessible I make my hospitals. Toward the end of this town I was getting outbreaks just about every other year at the end. Many would involve just 1-5 people, but there were more than a few where 20-30 people would be sick at a time. About half of the contagion came because fuel was distributed badly and people who get sick while acquiring fuel keep at it until they get the fuel home and the other half was because of idling around the hospital. As soon as we can mod I'm going to try to figure out a way to keep the little #&*%$ from idling around the hospital (not to mention INSIDE the hospital!).

RedKetchup

hahaha good one :) making a mod to keep away people from hospitals :) yeah they 'enrage' us all ^^

@mariesalias : woot awesome ! 500! good job !
and big congratulations with your 2300 Citizens !!

you are all very good Banished Players :) (only me who didnt got his 500 farmer city to over 2k even 2.3k ??  :-\
My 2nd attempt ( Geronimo ) was really like your towns, but i kept it for Nomad and live challenge.