News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

@Discrepancy All looks amazing. Can't wait to check it out.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Maldrick

Quote from: elemental on May 08, 2017, 04:19:10 AM
Was it you, @Discrepancy who made a mine that consumes logs/lumber to produce coal/iron? Or was that only talked about and never made into a mod? The consumption of logs (and maybe also lamp oil or candles or some other light source) reflects the mine being continually dug deeper and it doesn't have a production limit like a normal mine.

Could you please make a decorative version of that mine rail tunnel?

If you know of an upgradable mine that doesn't deplete I'd love to check it out.  I'm generally going for villages that run unattended so limited life buildings don't really work.  Always setting up the same trading model gets a little boring, though.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Paeng

Quote from: Maldrick on May 08, 2017, 04:44:31 AMso limited life buildings don't really work.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on that either...  :)

I really like the CC mines and quarries... they can be upgraded twice (first with candles, then with lamp oil), and after that they are unlimited... at that time you would normally be able to import all the stone you need anyway, but as you said - "the same trading model gets a little boring"...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Abandoned

@Maldrick there is a mod called One Stop All Mining that is never ending removeable mine or quarry from Banished Info that might be what you are looking for.

I'd like a separate deco mod of that tunnel and maybe a few of the carts also, please.  Nice set  :)

embx61

Quotegonna talk with @The Big Chihuahua   :-\ We kinda need an hidden part of the forum with only us, moddler so we can "share" our codes, fbx, graphic files, entire mod code between us, moddlers. a place we can have for us to share without being scared to be steal by non-moddlers (so they dont steal, compile, put on steam, or put graphics for money on turbosquid and other 3d selling place.

Wonderful idea!
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Maldrick

@Paeng I've only briefly played with CC but I think the mines are one of the cooler parts of the mod. Multiple types of each of several kinds of mines and they are upgradable through interesting production chains.  I had forgotten how dangerous it is though.  With one of each and a quarry they were killing more bannies a year than most plagues do. Lol

@Abandoned Thank you.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that mod someplace. Thinking it was on steam.

Discrepancy

Quote from: elemental on May 08, 2017, 04:19:10 AM
Was it you, @Discrepancy who made a mine that consumes logs/lumber to produce coal/iron? Or was that only talked about and never made into a mod? The consumption of logs (and maybe also lamp oil or candles or some other light source) reflects the mine being continually dug deeper and it doesn't have a production limit like a normal mine.

It was @Tom Sawyer who has made his mine consume logs. I am thinking of this for the iron ore mine. the bell pit normally weren't shored so regularly caved in, hence the reason for short production life. But they are very cheap to build.
I also want to use candles.
But the problem is the vanilla resource outputs are very low for coal (3-4) and CC's numbers for Iron Ore are also very low (2-3). To have a constant cost would mean it would cost at least 1 log or 1 candle to produce such a small amount it would be unprofitable.

The more I look at them, the more I like the numbers that are in The North (coal 24-32 & iron ore 9-12), they seem better to work with.

Maybe I make 2 versions?

The more realistic version will be The North version. The mines will require a constant life-cycle cost of logs and/or candles.

The other version, to fit better with Vanilla and CC will have the upgrade build costs incorporate a high number of candles & logs.

QuoteCould you please make a decorative version of that mine rail tunnel?

Good idea. Also included will be options for some decorative resource crates, boxes and barrels.

Quote from: Maldrick on May 08, 2017, 04:44:31 AM
If you know of an upgradable mine that doesn't deplete I'd love to check it out.  I'm generally going for villages that run unattended so limited life buildings don't really work.  Always setting up the same trading model gets a little boring, though.

I'm pretty sure there are some override mods for the vanilla mine that do that.  here on nexus i found this: http://www.nexusmods.com/banished/mods/47/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fbanished%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D47&pUp=1

@Maldrick & @Paeng , I can understand from a players perspective the desire for a non depleting mine. To be honest I never liked it when playing either. But it only becomes essential in later game anyway. The two mines I'm including in here I won't make everlasting. They are cheap to build, take up little room and the destroyed model is not some hugely ugly model. The Small Iron Ore Mine looks the same but has the entrance closed with logs. The Bell Pit like I said covered with planks.
Both of these mines I have added not as replacements for the larger mining options around, but as examples of past primitive mining; cheap to undertake (low construction cost, smaller footprint), though this cheap outlay means harder production (longer work cycles), and uneconomical use of land/resources (shorter mine lives, eventual depletion).

One day I will maybe make a larger industrial style mine for this, but not in this release.

Discrepancy

Quote from: Abandoned on May 08, 2017, 04:59:37 AM
I'd like a separate deco mod of that tunnel and maybe a few of the carts also, please.  Nice set  :)

Okay, the carts also  :)

Quote from: embx61 on May 08, 2017, 05:12:51 AM
Quotegonna talk with @The Big Chihuahua   :-\ We kinda need an hidden part of the forum with only us, moddler so we can "share" our codes, fbx, graphic files, entire mod code between us, moddlers. a place we can have for us to share without being scared to be steal by non-moddlers (so they dont steal, compile, put on steam, or put graphics for money on turbosquid and other 3d selling place.

Wonderful idea!

I agree.

Maldrick

@Discrepancy Obviously, build your mod as you think best.  It looks great and it's definitely going to be a fun addition.  I was just talking about mines, in general really, since it came up.  Mining, for me at least, has always been a bit of a dilemma.  Like, I want to do it because it's part of the game and adds production, but it has so many negatives...so many workers required, it's dangerous, the mines themselves have an unhappiness radius...and then at a certain size you often have to trade for the resources to keep up anyway if you don't want to build more of all of that.  So it's usually just better to trade for them and be done with it.  Although I do love your tunnel mine.  Being able to repurpose it for mushroom production is really cool.

But that's why I'm stoked about your mod.  Trading for ore is something new and with the coke conversion it adds a couple steps of production. Definitely more interesting than just trading for iron and coal to make tools.  Plus the buildings look amazing and the carts and tracks are a nice touch.  Will be a great centerpiece for an industrial district.

Admin

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 08, 2017, 03:59:29 AM
glad to see you are using them :)
if need anything else... just ask :)

gonna talk with @The Big Chihuahua   :-\ We kinda need an hidden part of the forum with only us, moddler so we can "share" our codes, fbx, graphic files, entire mod code between us, moddlers. a place we can have for us to share without being scared to be steal by non-moddlers (so they dont steal, compile, put on steam, or put graphics for money on turbosquid and other 3d selling place.

Done. PM me for details; you should be able to see the new board right now.

embx61

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

Ha ! @The Big Chihuahua  is so fast !!! i didnt got even time to email him !!!

THANKS YOU !!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 08, 2017, 05:42:05 AMthe desire for a non depleting mine.

Oh, I'm not complaining  :)

I probably have a "weird" play style, partly because I'm super stingy with natural resources, parly because I immensely dislike dead spots like the depleted vanilla mines and quarries... so I have always tried to avoid them as much as possible - for example, I rarely have more than two workers assigned (bonus: not many deaths, slow depletion)... and I always manage to have enough iron and stone (except on really forbidding maps), maybe augmented by some trade...

The better if your depleted mines will not become huge and obscene dead spots, then it will be possible to turn them into scenic spots, that's cool  ;)

* I have not tried the mine turned mushroom facility yet... is that already 107-ready?
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

elemental

I'm not keen on dead buildings either. On the other hand, unlimited quarries aren't very realistic. Re-purposing a mine as a mushroom farm though... that was a brilliant idea.

QueryEverything

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 07, 2017, 07:34:12 PM
Interesting read.

I'm still going to go with Custom3 for the Coke, it makes sense.

I've been slow with news and updates, life is getting busy.
But here is a picture:

Just caught this now - wowsers!  Looks great, excellent work @Discrepancy :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]