News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Slink's Small Markets Version 4 - Now With Nicer Graphics!

Started by slink, October 10, 2014, 09:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

;D  Yes, I got tired of making vaguely blob-shaped marks on the ground and decided that my initials would suit well enough.

irrelevant

salamander

Will there be initials outside your brewery ... in yellow ... and only showing in the winter?  ;)

slink

salamander

I'm just curious about @irrelevant's easter egg screenie -- isn't that Frenchman's Bend where you're starting your insurance move across the river?  If so, how were you able to get the new market in?  I thought I saw earlier that the new ones would be incompatible with old saves.

I'd like to start using the new-style markets, but am not ready to start a new town at the moment.  Maybe there's hope to add them to what I have?

slink

Maybe if you tear down the old ones then you can build the new ones?  The number and placement of the toolbar buttons are the same, so that should not be a problem.

irrelevant

@salamander @slink Up until then I had not built any small markets, just the one vanilla market.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 14, 2014, 02:28:11 PM
Work has finally begun on redoing my small markets.  Behold the new look of the General Market.  It will take me a while to convert them all, and you won't be able to use the new ones with the old saves.  Adding more textures makes them incompatible.

@slink, this is beautiful--well at least Banished beautiful. Darn! Now I'll have to start yet another new town.  ;D

salamander

@slink and @irrelevant -- Thanks.  Based on my bare understanding why some mods cause problems when added, but others don't, this makes sense.  Back in the cotton mod thread when I was having some difficulty there, it was suggested to tear down all the TP's and rebuild them.  I'd already started a new town with cotton, so I never got around to trying that.  I'll save and give the new markets a try ... what's the worst that can happen?  ???

Just out of curiosity, @slink, you'd mentioned maybe tweaking some of the values for the markets.  I can (I think) understand why the new textures might cause problems with updating the mod mid-game, but do you think the value changes would cause similar problems?

slink

I don't think changing the limits on the quantities would cause a crash.  I think they would just scurry around and move everything again.

salamander

Just as an FYI in case it's helpful to anyone, I added version 4 of @slink's small markets to an in-progress game.  The saved game I used was started with version 3 of the markets enabled, and a Farm Market and General Market had already been built.

To begin, I updated to version 4 and loaded the saved game.  On loading, the game warned that a mod had changed.  I told it to go ahead and load the game expecting that it would crash as soon as it had finished loading.  But, it did not.  The two small markets showed up in the game with the new textures and/or building sizes of version 4, although the invisible ground footprints were still those of the version 3 markets (I still couldn't build roads near the buildings even on apparently clear ground).

I went back to version 3 of the mod, loaded the game, destroyed the markets, and saved again.  Then I updated again to version 4, loaded the game (again saying 'go ahead' to the warning that a mod had changed), and rebuilt the two markets.  The appearance of the version 4 markets was unchanged, but now the ground footprints matched the new building sizes.

Maybe helpful information, maybe not.  :)

Thanks again to @slink and @irrelevant for how to add the mod update to an in-progress game.

slink

slink

Uploaded to download area:

Version 4 - New graphics and more storage room.  Will work with saves using version 3 but the footprints will be wrong.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 18, 2014, 09:20:59 AM
Uploaded to download area:

Version 4 - New graphics and more storage room.  Will work with saves using version 3 but the footprints will be wrong.

I love version 4--the buildings look appropriately grungy. I can also report that when I tried to remove the previous version buildings in a game with version 4 already loaded the site becomes unbuildable, so better to do as you said and delete when previous version still loaded. Funny thing about following the instructions . . . .   ;)

slink

Right, I'll add that part explicitly.   :)