News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

MOD: Modding Friendly Nomad Generation

Started by JamieIdle2.0, November 14, 2014, 09:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieIdle2.0

Hi all, it appears a tiny overlooked section of the Townhall code means that if you exclusively use specialized market or trading post mods and do not use the vanilla versions you wont get any nomads. The code section is below. This is easy to fix simply build a vanilla Market and vanilla Trading Post along with the Townhall in your town. Of course if you don't want to do that I can create a simple mod that removes those requirements, but why stop there? I can think of all kinds of interesting tweaks to how players get nomads that are possible.

One idea that I really like is to tie immigration to the Boarding Houses. See the thing is that since you can only have one Townhall you can only have one group come at a time. If the code is tied to Boarding Houses then you could say make nomads come more regularly but in fixed amounts ie no more than each Boarding House can hold. So if you want more than that amount you need to build more Boarding Houses.

ImmigrationDescription immigration
{
   ComponentDescription _nomad = "Template/Nomad.rsc";

int _requiredPopulation = 8;
   ComponentDescription _requiredStructures
   [
      "Template/Market.rsc"
      "Template/TradingPost.rsc"
   ]

float _minGroupPercent = 0.05;
   float _maxGroupPercent = 0.15;
   float _timeDelayMonths = 24;
   float _timeDelayMonthsTol = 48;
   int _arriveMinMonth = 1;
   int _arriveMaxMonth = 3;
   int _leaveMonth = 7;
   int _spawnRadius = 5;

float _sicknessAmount = 1.0;
   int _sicknessTimeInMonths = 6;
}

RedKetchup

personally i would do that :

int _requiredPopulation = 0;
   [
   ]

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

JamieIdle2.0

Quote from: RedKetchup on November 14, 2014, 09:19:22 AM
personally i would do that :

int _requiredPopulation = 0;
   [
   ]

Of course that is the simplest solution, but I think the Boarding House idea is more fun ^.^

chillzz

Oeh! that would be a welcome addition :)
Nomads showing up without having to need the 3 vanilla buildings, but to a (new?) boarding house. Maybe even with the values from 'Nomads Zero Pop', required population 0, to have a go at ghost towns :P

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Mahnogard

RedKetchup

bah you would still require the townhall itself :P
if it isnt built, the code for the 'immigration' isnt ticking

JamieIdle2.0

@RedKetchup not so :P one side effect of the Fountain mod is that you hand two sets of nomads because you got one set from the Castle and one from the Townhall...it is just getting the nomad button into the boarding house that is the trickier part.

RedKetchup

? what the relation with boarding house ?

RedKetchup

wait , you added it to boarding house ??
people with have now double nomads ? and triple if they also have the castle mods too ??

salamander

I have to agree with the boarding house idea.  If I understand it right, with no boarding houses, you would get no nomads, and if you have boarding houses, you would get incoming groups of nomads proportional to the number of boarding houses you have.  Is this right?

If so, that would give a little more control over how much you want to deal with incoming nomads, and how big a part you want them to play in your town.

Just sounds like a nice approach to me.  :)

rkelly17

@JamieIdle2.0, I like the idea of linking nomad appearance and number to boarding house capacity. Maybe you could talk to @slink about adding the same mechanism to the "Fountain Mod" inn which functions as a small boarding house. I also like de-linking nomads from the town hall because I can envision situations where it would be nice to have the town hall stats without having nomads appear. I can also imagine situations later in the game where I have 8 or 900 people but could use 20-30 nomads rather than a massive influx.

The other option would be a new "immigration" building which would have to be be built to have nomads appear. Once the new building is built nomads appear.

Another random thought: Include hospital in buildings necessary for nomad generation. Helps prevent bad habits.

slink

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 15, 2014, 06:48:35 AM
I'll take a look at it.

Thanks. I note that I'm now a "Banished Expert"! I love getting rewarded just for shooting off my mouth.  ;D

slink

Okay, I got it.  I don't know if it draws nomads or not, but it requires only Methieuso's Inn and a hospital, and the nomad page is showing.

Edit: Setting the minimum population for immigration to zero would accomplish nothing, since the number who immigrate is a percentage of the population.

JamieIdle2.0

@slink were you able to get the nomad tab on the inn???