News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Red River Valley - Story 99

Started by Abandoned, October 10, 2023, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 26

We made it up onshore not far from where the wagon train had circled to wait it out.  We stopped briefly to tell the wagon master that the cattle were moving and were up ahead.  It would be several hours before the way was clear for the wagon train to move on, the gate would be opened.  I saw that the women did not waste time taking advantage of the rest stop; they had the cookpot going and wash out on the line.  I could not help but think was it really only a year since I was on a wagon train crossing their trail as I made my way to Fort Rapids; only a year since I married this cowboy and now I was part of a cattle drive and had just crossed a treacherous river on horseback. Unbelievable isn't it, weary traveler?

Well, we could not linger, but galloped over to where the last of the cattle had made it across the river; the first group was already headed down the fenced pathway to the waiting train.  We headed into cow town to the shipping office to report how many head of cattle we brought.  What did not fit unto the cattle cars that this train brought, would have to wait in the holding pens for the next train.

As we left the shipping office I remarked on the presence of a sheriff's office.  Rock said that the first cattle towns on the prairie were pretty rough places with cowboys going to the saloons after weeks out on the trail.  Fights often broke out and someone would end up dead unless there was a sheriff there fast enough to stop the fight.  All the cow towns had a cemetery that was known as boot hill, there's one here a ways past the Watering Hole behind the shipping office.  We'd be having supper and spending the night at that Watering Hole, but first we had to get back to the cattle, unless I wanted to get a room first and wait there for him.  No way did I want to miss any part of the cattle drive.

Abandoned

Chapter 27

The cattle were all in the fenced pathway, the last straggler just having made it in.  At the end of the pathway, 2 of the cattle cars were already loaded.  There were only 4 cattle cars on this train so the holding pen would be full until the next train came.  There were 2 cattle trains on this line now so it would not be long.  The trains bypassed Central City and went on across the river to Rail's End. 

Most of the cowboys were already at the closest Watering Hole collecting their pay from Phill; their horses were either waiting at the livery stable yard until morning or at the hitching post for those cowboys headed out immediately.  Others were already getting that bath, shave, or haircut before supper and a drink in the saloon.  After all the cows were settled, we stopped at that Watering Hole so Rock could thank them for their hard work, wished them well, and assured them of a job next autumn.  Several of the cowboys replied that they hoped I would be there doing the cooking.

Abandoned

Chapter 28

And then we were on our way home: Garvid driving the chuck wagon, Rock's brother Phill on horseback, and me driving our covered buckboard with Rock riding alongside.

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE RANCH

Autumn continued.  The corn was harvested, wild foods were being gathered, eggs were being collected, and another load of logs and firewood were being delivered before winter.  The calves were being fed and the cows fattened in the pasture.  The horses were being care for at the livery stable and the chuck wagon was back in place next to the bunk house.   I wasted no time fetching water and getting the wash out on the line, my blue quilt included.

It had been a year since our wedding day at the Mission and we were given the quilt.  Not only did I get a wonderful husband who was clean-shaven, not bad to look at, good with children, and did not spend time at the saloon drinking or watching dancing girls, I also got a wonderful brother and sister-in-law who lived close by.  Yes, weary traveler, I was very lucky to have gotten that letter to become a mail-order-bride.  And you were very lucky that someone offered to bring you here to us from cow town when you decided not to continue south on that wagon train.  One of the ranch hands will take you to the mission; one of the soldiers from Fort Rapids should be there by now.  You can join the wagon train going further west or you can go back to Outskirts and Smallville. 

You can stop in town first, weary traveler, if there's anything you need.  Did I tell you that the mayor of Watertown took a survey of how many people there are in Red River Valley?   No, I don't think I did.  The town has 103 citizens, the Mission has 61, our ranch has 34, and Phill and Tressica's ranch has 20, cow town has 42, and the small ranches, forester area, and trading post have 23.  So, Red River Valley has a total of 283 citizens, 175 adults and 108 children, and everyone is happy and healthy.  Sorry you have to go.

Fare thee well, weary traveler.

The End

Abandoned

Kid Wild West Cattle Drive has been released.  Find info and link to download here:

https://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4293.0

Glenn