News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Suggestion: Production bldgs should store produced goods

Started by Yandersen, January 27, 2017, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

how do i say this?? i have tried to explain. some things are beyond our control and were coded into the game  in such a way it can not be changed. kinda like asking why the grass doesn't grow taller or why it is always daylight and never night. the developer made the game and has left the station so to speak. the banis world is the way it is and they have minds of their own sometimes. kinda like if you is playing card games and then ask why you don't roll the dice and move your piece? the game doesn't play that way.
      your original idea seemed to be that the forest pieces took space away from the forest or gatherer circles. so you wanted smaller footprints. which is possable 1x1 tree stump that is a forester. but then you said you wanted that space to have a storage function. so at best now we are at 2 tiles unless the storage is ghosted under the stump. but even then to get the amount of storage to be practical the realism is gone. there is a give and take to it. on some things it is a fine line between what can work and what should work between function,looks, and realistics. the other thing to remeber with the forest is if you add storage at the center the banis have to walk all that way to get their wood or food. if you place the storage outside or at the edge of the circle then only 1 bani has to walk that way,the hunter,forester,or gatherer.
    as for redesigning every building,that actually has been done to some extent.you should take a week and load more mods and try them. i gave you 2 other websites full of various mods. CC is an entirely different world. before CC came about their were tons of individual mods.

Yandersen

I spent some time trying to merge Stockpile functions with Forester Lodge functions - fail, both ways. At the last I tried the very minimum - to add "forester" component, workers and forester professions to the StorageYard - even with that only it crashes. Strangely, I had no problems adding storage to the ForesterLodge, but it seems like drag placement and forester are not compatible for some reason. Doesn't make any sense to me at all...

Yandersen

Brad, for f@$# sake, may I be so dare to ask You for a permission to evolve/change my "original idea"? Do you find unacceptable/inappropriate that I change my mind about some things as I gather new information about Banished' mechanics or develop new ideas along the way?.. >:( How ancient are u, buddy? Work on some mind flexibility, plz.  :)

Abandoned

@brads3 and modders, perhaps this rude insolent he or she should simply be ignored in the hopes he or she will go away and not use up valuable time of our excellent modders.  This person first wants a woodcutter to store firewood, insults the one made, than says prefers wood on stockpile.  As you kindly pointed out, brads3, there are numerous excellent stockpiles and storage facilities in the game already, also workplaces with residences.  This person obviously has no respect for others and has not read helpful informative posts already on site.  Question @Yandersen May I please ask respectfully what your age and nationality are?  No other comments wanted or needed.   Advice, show some respect to your elders.

Tom Sawyer

@Yandersen I meant I have a different idea of a better forester lodge. Not as stockpile. More a typical lodge, good visible in the forest and with a residence upstairs but separate stockpiles around. Maybe your attempt fails because of createdrag, I don't know. But it would work with createplaced as it is and just removed model and building costs, a new footprint and added storagedisplay. Would be a stockpile with fixed area.

Yandersen

Thks Tom! I keep trying to implement it as u suggested, it's somewhat successfull so far - storage displayed, model "partially removed" (I am deleting the obsolete code parts one by one cathing the point where it crashes). Right now I am stuck on this one:
InteractDescription interact
{
PointList _pointList = "Models\Buildings\ForesterLodge\ForesterLodgePoints.rsc";
}
Not sure what is it - an interaction locations on the model for the workers? If so, then why does it crashes once I remove this code and the "interact" line in the header? Do u know what exactly does this code mean?

Tom Sawyer

It links to a pointlist resource file which links to points in the model. The points are coords for the game to define where people stay when building or using the object or where to spawn resources. When the game cannot find a necessary point it crashes. Maybe it cannot use the vanilla point list when the model is removed from this template. Then I would try to replace the model by a new empty fbx with just points (use_001, build_001).

Yandersen

Hm, tested out some things:
1) once storage is displayed, it draws stockpile even when building is constructed (piles of construction materials are shown). If building requires no material, it's OK.
2) Seems like "interact" component is required for any profession-defined "workplace", and since "interact" refers to the points defined by model, model must stay.
So yeah, some dummy model is required. I am no modeller, have no soft for that, so I give up there.  :P

TheOtherMicheal

@RedKetchup I just wanted to say that your little Firewood Storage mod is wonderful. I am using it all the time now.

If people think of this mod as an option to the stockpile for storing firewood then I think they will find there is nothing "cheaty" about it. I use Colonial Charter along with various mods that give other types of stockpiles and your Firewood Storage mod is perfect as a replacement for the normal Banished big open field type of stockpile.

In fact I would like to see other stockpiles done in this more decorative style, not simply because it's more compact but because it just looks better, much more attractive than the vanilla stockpile. There are other people who dislike the look of the normal stockpile and I believe they too would like mods to make stockpiles look less like a big open field of oversized piles of wood, stone, iron, firewood etc. etc.

Gatherer

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on February 13, 2017, 06:43:08 PM
@RedKetchupThere are other people who dislike the look of the normal stockpile and I believe they too would like mods to make stockpiles look less like a big open field of oversized piles of wood, stone, iron, firewood etc. etc.

Yes on both counts.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

kid1293

I second that.

Nice (smaller) heaps and piles are way more aesthetic.
Who needs stone close to a toolsmith?

RedKetchup

Quote from: kid1293 on February 14, 2017, 10:22:04 AM

I second that.

Nice (smaller) heaps and piles are way more aesthetic.
Who needs stone close to a toolsmith?

^^ i guess ... i have no choice then  ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on February 14, 2017, 10:22:04 AMWho needs stone close to a toolsmith?

Well, I use dedicated (specialized) stockpiles exclusively, so don't really have that problem  :)

But I agree, better looking, more random piles than all these squared off standards would be more than welcome...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Tom Sawyer

@TheOtherMicheal The cheat in it is to be able to store millions of firewood on 0 game tiles. If more of these storage objects I suggest to make them with the same capacity like standard piles (250/tile) and not ghosted. Just to keep storage capacity and required area in game.

RedKetchup

i can do too but the thing about ghosted though, you can place it "inside another footprint " to get a better look overall
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .