News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #1: Valley of Death

Started by solarscreen, June 01, 2014, 12:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

I'm not sure the best way to go about this.  For those that have already voted, or are in the review process, are you downloading the savefiles, or just looking through the screenshots that have been posted?  If you are using the savefiles, would I just put them in my own save folder, and can I rename them so they don't conflict with my saves?

slink

@salamander, I downloaded the saves when they were available.  In doing so, I discovered that Banished will load a file named, for example, SaveRedKetchup.sav.  This came as a welcome surprise to me.

RedKetchup

Such hard to vote ! my heart is so broken and divided !

here my vote :

Best Look: @Bobbi  - was the hardest category to vote - such competitions! Bobbi gets my vote.

Most People: 676 by @mariesalias   - i think we all agree :)

Most Area: @mariesalias  - she used all the map

Best in Show: @ivorymalinov - was very hard to vote too. i vote for ivory cause was the one i really got the feeling that nothing else could be done.

Nice work ALL !
was such fun to participate :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

@slink -- Perfect, thanks.  I'm looking forward to seeing what folks came up with.  Based on voting so far, it sounds like it's going to hard to decide for some of the categories.

rkelly17

Since the largest population is objective and most map area used is semi-objective (does a forester "use" the whole circle?), I'm voting for best look: @Bobbi; and best in show: @ivorymalinov. Those are two very, very nice looking settlements. I think we should also give a prize to @Demonocracy for best use of theme.

RedKetchup

for sure, anyways we dont have choice, we need foresters for wood for firewood. a town without wood isnt healthy
a specially when you use that circle to put a gatherer hut, and maybe herbalist, it s clear that area is in use :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Kaldir

I'm skipping the most people and most map area used, hoping someone will objectively measure those. As for the others, it took some time to decide. But here it comes:

Best Looking: @Bobbi
Best In Show: @ivorymalinov

Two equally good looking towns, with cool details like the crosses on the floor and variety in crops/orchards/pastures.
And I'm supporting @rkelly17's idea for an extra category:

Best In Theme: @Demonocracy

mariesalias

Quote from: slink on June 14, 2014, 04:45:08 AM
@salamander, I downloaded the saves when they were available.  In doing so, I discovered that Banished will load a file named, for example, SaveRedKetchup.sav.  This came as a welcome surprise to me.

Yes, you can save your saves with your town names (well rename then from the save folder). Usually I sort by the Date Modified as the save I am renaming is usually the most recent one I have saved. Of course if, like me, you forget and load up another save to play before you rename, then you may mislabel the save.

I first discovered this with the red riding hood challenge. I don't remember if someone suggested it though or I just didn't want to take the chance of losing a previous save.

salamander

Hmmm ... This was hard once I got to looking things over.  It's interesting seeing how different folks approached the challenge.

Best Looking: @Bobbi
Most People: @mariesalias
Most Map Area Used: @RedKetchup
Best in Show: @Bobbi

Nice job, everyone!

salamander

@mariesalias -- Thanks for the tip.  I did rename the savefiles to keep them from over-writing some of mine and so I'd know whose was whose from the challenge (or so I thought) ... unfortunately, the name of the file is not what's shown on the Load screen in the game.  If we're going to have these challenges with winners decided by voting, I wonder if there's some way to keep downloaded savefiles easily identifiable as far as who they belong to?

Kaldir

I have subfolders in the save folder for every town I played. I only play one town at a time, and put savefiles from other towns in those subfolders. That way I always know which savefile belongs to which town. It also minimizes the time it takes the game to process all savefiles when loading. I do the same for screenshots.

You could do something similar when viewing other people's towns. Just move your own saves to a subfolder before putting someone else's savefile there. Don't forget to put your own saves back before playing, otherwise you can't load them.

salamander

I see what you're saying, but my (small) problem was with the name Banished shows in the Load screen below the saved game.  To be more specific, I named each of the downloaded savefiles for the challenge by its author (mariesalias.sav, slink.sav, etc...) before copying them into my Save folder.  But in the Load screen in-game, the saved games are identified by the town name (which is, I think, contained in the savefile itself) and date/time of save, and at least of couple of the towns were named the same -- Valley of Death.

slink

Check the time-date stamps.  When I downloaded four files, only two of them had the same times.  The other two had different times, that the files were written when I downloaded them.

Demonocracy

Just by watching the votes, I can see we have some solid winners here!

While I appreciate the mentions of creating another winning category, I'll have to insist that we do not.  I'll take the honourable mention though and be grateful and happy for it!  See, at some point mine will be among the best in a challenge, and I'll have my moment to shine.

Good work to our winners that I'm certain will be announced soon, and thank you all for the great experience.  : )

mariesalias

@Kaldir  That is a good idea!

@salamander  If i understand properly, you are looking for a way to rename the files in game so they match the save file you give them. I do not think this is possible. You could look at people's screenshots though and take note of which town name matches which participant.