News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Lawns

Started by Oenanthe, August 04, 2015, 02:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oenanthe

One for those clever folk out there, is there a way to make a lawn. 

On the original mountains and valleys the basic green background isn't too bad, but I have a tendency to use Colonial Charter and New Medieval Town mods and on CC there are some additional starting options for marsh or barren mountains which I would like to use.  However I also want a pretty town so gardens and parks tend to get added and while I can put in fences, flower beds, and ornamental trees, I can't find an option to put in a lawn area, a nice green manicured grassy area.

I also noticed when playing with the terrain raising/lowering tool that the land raised was a muddy brown texture, I would love to spread the normal back ground greens over this area, (I didn't have a chance to see if it would happen over time anyway as I ran out of time last night).

So if it is something that can be done can someone let me know how (maybe I'm being blind and haven't spotted the correct icon or mod yet), if not maybe it is something that those of you that can mod could think about for the future.

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Oenanthe

Thanks for the link, that certainly looks like what I am after, just need to try and find them on Steam now.  I'm not exactly a computer wizard and adding mods without going through Steam is a bit beyond me, or as it is on the CC website, do you know if they will be included in the next version.

assobanana76

Quote from: Oenanthe on August 04, 2015, 02:55:00 AM
Thanks for the link, that certainly looks like what I am after, just need to try and find them on Steam now.  I'm not exactly a computer wizard and adding mods without going through Steam is a bit beyond me, or as it is on the CC website, do you know if they will be included in the next version.

u must download that mod (file .pkm) in the folder "windata" of your pc
u can find it (if I don't mistake) in users/documents/Banished/common/windata
sorry.. I don't know what they intend put in version 1.5 of the many things they do like add-on..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Oenanthe

Thanks for the instructions, looks like I'll be trying, what is for me, 'complicated computer stuff' tonight.

I've only been on Banished a few weeks, Steam had an offer on that was too good to miss, so still finding my feet and wasn't sure if the CC people normally added all the extra stuff with new updates or not.

assobanana76

Quote from: Oenanthe on August 04, 2015, 03:15:51 AM
Thanks for the instructions, looks like I'll be trying, what is for me, 'complicated computer stuff' tonight.

I've only been on Banished a few weeks, Steam had an offer on that was too good to miss, so still finding my feet and wasn't sure if the CC people normally added all the extra stuff with new updates or not.

then welcome ..
believe me .. if I did I learn how to use the mod, then you can do it too!  ;D

Paeng

Quote from: Oenanthe on August 04, 2015, 02:55:00 AMadding mods without going through Steam is a bit beyond me

That's quite funny - with me it's exactly the other way around... I find it extremely easy to just download a single (*.PKM) file and add it into my [WinData] folder, while Steam gives me the creeps, what with all its "automatic" this and "automatic" that... LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently there is no way to get a mod published via Steam as a "standalone" - something that I can install any time and to any place I deem fit, outside the convoluted Steam ways?
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Oenanthe

I have absolutely no idea about other ways of downloading the mods.  All I know is that I can click on the mods option of the opening window, go into a list of mods, click subscribe on the one I want then enable it as and when I want.  Anything else is getting technical, so while I will give the instructions above a go, I don't even know if it will work the same as my version of Banished came through Steam.  I am just guessing I can't really do any irretrievable harm.  Worst comes to the worst I uninstall and re download the game :)

irrelevant

assobanana76

Quote from: Paeng on August 04, 2015, 06:12:19 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently there is no way to get a mod published via Steam as a "standalone" - something that I can install any time and to any place I deem fit, outside the convoluted Steam ways?
;D ;D I believe is correct..
however I save all the .pkm I use on my Google Drive.. but I don't know if they work without Steam..  :-\

Paeng

Quote from: assobanana76 on August 04, 2015, 06:25:01 AMI believe is correct...

That's a shame... I hope that all mod authors will sooner or later put their stuff on BanishedInfo.com...  :-\

QuoteI save all the .pkm I use on my Google Drive.. but I don't know if they work without Steam.

Well they should... else that would mean that Steam somehow alters the PKM files, which would be quite... illegal, I guess.  ;)

rkelly17

I got Banished on Steam, but I have never used any mods from the Steam workshop (I got "steamed" at the workshop in the early days when people were taking credit for mods that weren't theirs). I download(ed) them all from here or Banished Info or other, now deceased Banished mod sites. All work fine with Steam Banished. I think that it is just a question of knowing where your Banished WinData directory is--on my system Steam puts it under C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished. I think that the problem would be downloading the mod from Steam without a Steam account, not in the mod working after you have it. As far as I know the only difference between non-Steam Banished and Steam Banished is the ability to access the workshop and the use of the Steam screenshot mechanism. There is no reason that the mod itself would be different.

I second @Paeng's hope that mod authors would also use BanishedInfo, but my guess is that many Steam users may have no idea it exists. Those of us on Steam should encourage authors of quality mods to cross post. A lot of the Civ V mods on Steam are also posted at Civ Fanatics, so the practice is not unusual. In fact, since Steam users often can't access the mods from the workshops for one reason or another, it is recommended by Civ V players (What Steam thinks of it I have no idea).

By the way, didn't @slink once do a lawn mod which is in the mod collection here?

irrelevant

@rkelly17 yep, linked in my post above.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on August 05, 2015, 08:57:55 AM
@rkelly17 yep, linked in my post above.

Thanks, @irrelevant. Both my memory and my powers of observation could use some work.  ;D

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 05, 2015, 08:25:38 AMAs far as I know the only difference between non-Steam Banished and Steam Banished

Well, I'm insecure about this because I keep reading about this "application-steam-x32.exe" which often seems to "have stopped working".
I also have a (largely unused) steam account, but have never "registered" my Banished there for fear of their automated updates and stuff (plus all the hundreds of unwanted megabytes they push on me every time I start that damn client)  >:(

QuoteThose of us on Steam should encourage authors of quality mods to cross post.
Indeed, that seems to be the best way to make sure all content gets distributed everywhere... the idea of missing out on potential asian content makes me cringe  :'(

* Oh, and I don't give a hoot what steam might "think" about it... they are not the web.  ;)