Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

OK!
From now on I call them Santa's Elf
(and I can call you Helper, thank you)

But they don't have pointy ears.  :o ;D

Tomteverkstad or Santa's Workshop?

elemental

I could call him 'Elf' but that would offend all fantasy RPG-players.

Are you sure? Elf might make the RPG-ers squeal with delight. Elves in Banished! Finally!! But Santa's Elf does sound better.

I'm not a modern-day fantasy RPG-er, by the way. Anyone heard of Bard's Tale? Skara Brae? Mangar and Tarjan? Here's a very special link if you do: http://www.remix64.com/track/chris-prattini/bards-tale-ii-subtune-3/ Oddly enough Bard's Tale is part of the reason I like Banished, even though they are very different games. And good grief... it's been almost 30 years! Some of those dungeons are etched into my mind. OMG... Computers and computer games before the internet!!! :o Happy days!  8)

kid1293

Another time traveller. Greetings! :)

I started on C64 and 128 and had all those nice RPG titles.
Later Dos with a lot of D&D games.
Check http://www.myabandonware.com/ for old dos games.

edit: thanx for the tune!

TheOtherMicheal

Bard's Tale? I know of it but I never played it when it was released, I actually played it in the mid 2000s
Skara Brae? Yes I remember it too but not from Bard's Tale. I remember Skara Brae from Ultima Online... the year was 1999... and I remember Skara Brae from a visit to Scotland in 2010 to see relatives from my mother's side of the family (my mother's family are from Mainland, the island where Skara Brae is found in real life).

And yes, I remember computer games before the internet.
I blame The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall for my love of computer games.

Tom Sawyer

Oh yes, let's talk about old times. I played a lot on C64. At schooldays. I did not have such a computer myself, but with friends ... Later, even at school I had my first PC. A 386 with 40 MHz, 100 MB hard drive and with a strange Colani design. I played lots of DOS games. Nightlong Civilization and many others. With a friend I had endless sessions of Battle Isle. Since there was no LAN, not to mention Internet. We sat side by side on the same keyboard with split screen (14" with 640 px). Unbelievable. And I have nice memories of Adventures by Lucas Arts. Monkey Island, Indy an so on. RPG's I played much later, online. Especially Guildwars (1. version). But that's not old times. :)

This Christmas stuff sounds very nice and the DS Tree looks really great in game!

DesoPL

Oh damn there is too many games there! Including loved by me NES ones! I gonna play again Megaman series. :)

Abandoned

Oh yes, so many games so little time, so little hard drive in those days, only 80 MB, windows 3.1.  Always had quite a few on Christmas wish list, Santa's elf must have been busy. DOS games, so good but a challenge just to get them installed and running. Now no problem to replay from Good Old Games. Husband and I can still play Hot Seat games of Heroes of Might and Magic. Today no disks or CDs needed. Still have 3.5" disk of old favorite really cute Christmas game, now on abandonware is Christmas Lemmings, have it installed on this laptop.  Banished and great mods are causing neglect of old games, good new game and mods.  Thanks.

elemental

Seems there is a lot of nostalgia for old games out there. :)

The fun thing is you can still play a lot of the old old old stuff on emulators.

Back to Christmas mods... Kid, if you are going to package them all up, how about including Discrepancy's Christmas tree? Any plans to release it on Steam workshop?

kid1293

Good old times.  :'(

Yes, I am going to pack Christmas mods together.
I got source from Discrepancy for Christmas tree so it will be there too.
edit - No, not Steam
edit too - I ask again 'Tomteverkstad' or 'Santa's Workshop' ??

And @elemental , here is a wreath for you, BUT it will not fit
most doors. The doors are all over the place.
Look at picture 2 and you understand.

It is only one model but it is placed in 15 positions (f-key) so you
can experiment where you want it.

I leave it here for the moment and for you to test  -

Christmas Wreath

elemental

Thank you for the wreath.  :)  Personally I don't care if it doesn't work with all doors, so long as it works on some of them, and It looks like it fits on your row house doors so that looks good to me. I'll take a closer look at it later today.

I vote for keeping the naming all in the same language. I don't mind which language you choose, so long as it's all consistent.

TheOtherMicheal

I agree with elemental, I actually like 'Tomteverkstad' better than Santa's Workshop.

kid1293

Keeping the names in Swedish feels a little wrong.
We're all communicating in English (more or less) :)
I probably get some words from Nilla and Tom too.  ;D

Is there a better english word for Santa's Workshop?

elemental

If you go with English then Santa's Workshop is the best option.

Kristahfer

Would it be possible to have the option to change the names, or turn them on and off when the building is constructed?

elemental

That's not a bad suggestion. Instead of having the signage as part of the actual building model you could make separate signs in different languages that can be built on the side of the building, and then the player can decide which sign/language to use. But of course you still need to pick a language for the menus etc.