News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Maritimes Pine Set V105

Started by Necora, February 27, 2017, 04:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatinho65

@brad: lol my computer isn't ancient but not really a gaming computer, and my 10x speed is the bannies at a brisk walk, nothing like the frantic ants on youtube videos lol. 5x speed is a normal walking pace for the bannies, and what I usually play, lets me micromanage and enjoy watching them. The speeds do not change for me no matter what my screen resolution is, so I don't think its that, I just assumed it was something about the mac translation through wine. If I played at 1x, I'd probably die of old age before my first trading post crash lol;)

I don't have anything running in the background and I usually don't have the internet connected to prevent google's constant spying updates on my computer lol while playing the game, they can do that later when I'm online.

About the stockpiles: I'm glad you mentioned that! I only have BetterStockPiles enabled, I don't use the BetterStockPileStorage mod, I suppose I should. But in that case, do I ALWAYS use those only, and not the vanilla generic stockpile? I have noticed issues with the vanilla pile in the game I'm playing now with all the DS sets enabled. And whenever any mod, like DS, has a Remove Building icon, I assume I need to use that one with anything created that comes from the mod? When it came to the stockpiles, I used the vanilla Remove icon, didn't want to confuse the game anymore than already lol.

With the debug livestock button: I built a pasture, a fenceless one included in DS's mod, and clicked the button and nothing happened. Does that mean I can only use that debug button with a vanilla pasture? That is fine, that would allow me to avoid trading post issues if I want. I guess I couldn't figure out how to get the button to plop down the animal of my choice even after I built the pasture lol.

Sherbrooke is beautiful, all the Maritime stuff is beautiful, and I really want to play with them, but so far I've just wanted to load only the Pine Set and the New Flora/NatDiv/Flax patch to see if it works long enough to actually build a map with the buildings lol;)

So, in that combination above, Pine Set, New Pine Flora, Flax Patch, NatDiv combination, do I use NatDiv Light OR NatDivFull?

On a side note: I have a great collection of xfrog plants from back in my SimCity modding creation days, and it seems like it is quite possible to export them into a format suitable for Banished, I'm happy to send some to anyone who would love to add more flora to the game and has xfrog or a 3dmodeling software program that can import xfrog models. I'm not sure I have a 3dsMax install on this computer now, so I don't think I could already export them into a different format, I've changed computers several times since then but did keep all my xfrog files, too valuable and useful for hopeful future modding adventures lol! I'd certainly love to see a few choices to add to a Mission/Tequila game lol.

@Necora: just saw your post, thanks for the clarifications! And I will see if my shadow settings make a difference, I think I have both on low but I need to check.

brads3

i ment a generic pile that stores everythihng. i try to not let it get full just in case there is something that the game won't store anywhere else. you can use either natdiv but the newest version is known to slow comps down. the earlier version and the lite mod both work ok.glad you are having better luck.

Necora

@gatinho65 either Nat Div should work fine, and they look spectacular together. I usually use the full Nat Div. I'm not sure about load order, I'd put nat div on top but IIRC it doesn't matter.

What output does xfrog produce? If it can be imported into blender I wouldn't mind having a look at them, more decorative flora is always welcome.

gatinho65

@Necora: I can get Pine Set to load and play as long as its on its own. But so far I can't get it to load with NatDiv of either form regardless of load order, it crashes before it even gets to the reloaded screen.

xfrog plants are used by all the big 3d modeling softwares so I think it can be exported as just about anything, if you have xfrog lol. Xfrog software itself is expensive (all of them are, aren't they lol) but I don't think it is necessary. If you just have the plant files it takes more research on which of the other software types can import xfrog files and make them useable. If you have 3dsMax or Maya its very easy.

I have seen some videos on how to import xfrog plants into blender so I certainly think others have tried that and hopefully succeeded. I have always added my own textures as the ones that come with the xfrog plants seem harder to get working in the non-xfrog 3dmodeling software.

Xfrog distributes a lot of beautiful free plant models, always worth making sure you pay attention and grab them when you see them! I have lots and lots of them lol, so when I get a chance I can remind myself of the libraries I have so you can ask for something specific. I know I have a lot of mediterranean/african/desert/exotic stuff because that was what I was working on for my SimCity stuff. Eucalyptus, various warm climate pines, and definitely enough plants for a great addition to the Mission/Tequila mods, Joshua trees and cactus and ocotillo. But I am sure I have a lot of smaller plants that would fit more with what you are already creating. In fact I think some of the deco plants already here in various mods are xfrog models, they look very familiar lol.

RedKetchup

the problem with specially XFrog is they way have too much polygons
you cant have in game an item with 30,000-120,000 poly multiplied by 100x-1000x of those items around all the map.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

gatinho65

@Red: Yeah, that has always been the challenge, some 3d software has ways of 'translating' the xfrog plants that reduce polygons but it takes some work to maintain a good quality but make it usable for a game using them. In SimCity as long as you could render your plant, you could then just create the image of it in the game, which didn't require all the polygons, or something like that lol, I remember knowing how to get it work. I don't know anything yet about Banished, I don't think the mod kit even works on a mac. But I was hoping some of my saved resources would be interesting for people who have the means to experiment.

I got Pine Set to load and run, all by itself. It does not load, only crash, with both versions of NatDiv enabled, regardless of load order. It also crashes within minutes of a new game even just with the DS Small village housing, and crashes before loading any of the DS production sets or individual mods like DS Ale House. I was trying those only because those are the mods I've been playing with this week. I'm hoping no problem with other Maritime sets or some of Kids sets. I will experiment tomorrow.

My 10x speed took a full 58 minutes of time to cover 1 year of Banished time lol! That is at every level of resolution and with high or low shadows. Its noticeably slower than my other games but watching an old forest of the magnificent trees and undergrowth for that hour at high resolution and with high shadow settings was mesmerizing! This is definitely a set that for me would be about relaxing and watching the bannies do their thing lol, it would take weeks and weeks for any town to actually develop for me lol, and no worries about disasters or missing something, endless time for micromanagement. I love the buildings too, I plopped them all in debug mode, mostly I'm running the game to see how the various forests interact from the three towers. It will take over 6-7 hours of game time for me to see the first mature maple forest lol, but I want to know what it looks like for that future time of sap collection;)

I have no idea how much of this is due to running the game on a mac through wine, just thought I'd note it for any interested.

Edit: More research notes lol. Pine Set is only playable on my computer all by itself and lasted for over an hour, no crash so far;) The only successful additions so far are the Maritime Decorations and Maritime Storage, which don't crash the game within the first 5 minutes, hopefully not later. Otherwise, it will not even load without a crash any of the other Maritime mods, not a single one of them in addition. That is as a clean start each time and with each one individually. Pine Set also will not play for more than about 3 minutes with Kid's Colonial Housing without crashing. It will not even load Colonial Production, so perhaps any other mod with production causes issues. Perhaps Sherbrooke will be able to work all by itself like Pine Set. Loading order made no difference, I tried up and down and all around lol.

It is always a wine issue, something within the way wine is processing the PC parts of the game, so not my mac per se. I can run the vanilla game and some of the other mods on the highest settings without any problem (except the recurring trading post crashes lol) so I don't think its a graphics or processing power issue. SimCity is a much more demanding game and I can still play that until my population gets too huge lol, but that has always been the case with SimCity on many very decent computers. Perhaps this is a common mac problem when playing multiple mods at the same time through a wine setup with Banished.

In any case, very beautiful stuff;) My early Holiday gift to myself is (hopefully) a decent cheap games only PC and then I look forward to a lot easier experimenting with Banished mods;)

Necora

@RedKetchup I looked through the catalog last night and figured that would be the case by the detail of the trees. Still, they might make for good textures if you render them.

@gatinho65 I booted up the game and got the same insta crashes with only Pine Set and Nat Div 1.0.1 loaded. However, I also managed to make them work. You need to try the following, which is a long winded but common practice when loading mods in Banished.

1 - load the game (but don't start a map, stay on the main menu).
2 - select the mods you wish to use.
3 - quit the game.
4 - reload the game.
5 - play!

It seems if you shuffle mods around, but don't quit then reload the game before starting a map, errors occur. In the case of my test, I already had Pine Set activated but not Nat Div even though it was loaded in my mod list. So I activated Nat Div, de-activated everything else apart from Debug and Pine Set, then quit the game and reloaded. Then when you play, it should work fine. The load order for me was Pine Set on top followed by Nat Div below it. I ran it for a year or two and cleared a load of resources with no crashes.

So try this, and do the same when you add other mods. It is probably best not to load mods during a game - certainly this will not work for the Pine Set of Nat Div because they change things spawned on the map and will crash, but others that just add buildings etc. should be fine.

I've not tried with any other mods, I don't have a vast collection because my internet sucks and I can barely download stuff. I will try a few others.

Necora

Test two, I did the above technique and loaded up all of the mods I have available, so my mod list looks like this...

• Play Conditions
  • Flax Patch
  • New Pine Flora
  • New Flora
  • Pine Set
  • Nat Div
  • Port Royal
  • Maritimes Log Cabins
  • Maritimes Humble Construction
  • Maritimes Coverings
  • Maritimes PEI Inshore
  • Maritimes Dock Set
  • Maritimes Storage
  • Maritimes Decorations
  • An Empty Square
  • EB Natural Irrigation System
  • Debug Menu
  • Gridlines Beta 2
  • Norseman
  • Better Stock Piles
  • CC Dock Set
  • Maritimes Riffle
  • Crystal Cliffs
  • Sherbrooke Village
  • NS Inshore Fisheries

After the load, mods, quit, load, play routine I had no issues with crashes and built random buildings from each set, they all worked fine. It wasn't a comprehensive test, but there were no immediate issues to see.

Now, I never had a problem with switching mods around once they had been loaded using this routine in the past, however my crashes with the Nat Div even though it was already in the mod list might stem from the fact that I have not used it since the game updated, therefore it probably needed to be activated and 'set' in game. Now, it shouldn't be a problem to switch most mods around without exiting and starting again, or even to add mods to a game mid flight (I can add in things like sherbrooke and crystal cliffs mid game without any issues once they have been initially 'set').

Let me know how it goes, hopefully this resolves a lot of your crash issues.

brads3

i think the arguement of loading mods without complete exit and reload may be sysytem dependant. players with more powerful computers might just enable mods and play.personally i rather the safe way. if i forget this system at times will wait til i try to save the game before it erros out.a mod that affects more like the nat div mod,will dump you with a fatal error more than not.it might as NECORA found,play for a while and then error and dump you when you try to save the game.so you have an hour or 2 playtime and then poof all gone. that is not what you want to do.when in doubt,better safe than sorry.
      when adding mods to a saved game, i would recommend trying to save the game once it reloads with the new mod.if it throws you out,you haven't lost playtime yet.
     NECORA's chart is exactly what we try to recommend new players do.that list solves many erros that get reported.

gatinho65

Lol wow I'm envious of that wonderful mod load list! All my testing was done with 1-3 mods at a time, after emptying the WinData, deleting the registry items, loading the mods, enabling, exiting, restarting, then finally starting a new game. My WinData had only worked with:

NewLimitVanillaTP
MaritimesPineSet
MaritimesStorage
MaritimesLogCabins
MaritimesDecorations
Debug

And that's it! I added each of the other Maritimes mods like Sherbrooke and Crystal Cliffs and the various shoreline and dock sets, one at a time, and none of them will work with PineSet, every single new game crashed before even starting.

I have never gotten this next combo to run for more than 10 minutes, even if it actually loads without crashing:

FlaxPatch
NewPineFlora
NewFlora
PineSet
NatDiv
(no other mods at all other than these)

No other mod from anybody else, housing or production, worked with PineSet, I tried mostly Kid's Colonial stuff and DS Small Village.

I also got this combo to work:

CCTerrains
NewLimitVanillaTP
NewFlora
MaritimesTrees
NatDiv (the full version)
MaritimesLogCabins
MaritimesDecorations
KidDecoPlants
EBIrrigationDecoAddon
Debug
FlyFishing
SmokingShed (but it won't smoke the lovely trout caught by the FlyFishing lol)
iSeeFire

My longest list of mods that worked well for a long very fun game was:

CCTerrains
EBOrchard20TreesOveride
NewFlora
NatDiv
KidForestOutpost
KidVegetableGardenStart
KidColonialHousing
KidColonialResources
KidWorkPlace
KidStorageCarts
KidTinySeparate
KidMarketFood
KidYardCover
KidBakeryGarden
BostonHouse
KidSBVMission
KidTequilaMod
KidTequilaModAddon
KidWildWest
iSeeFire
KidGhostedCactus
KidWashingMod
Debug

The success of that first grouping was what made me think of trying more of the mods. I finally, after a lot of constantly recleaning and restarting registry and WinData, got this list to play for 12 game years so far, during which time I had a lot of problems with the trading post but otherwise worked well for the rest of the game. I enabled and disabled NewVanillaTP hoping it would help with trading post issues but enabling it was actually worse, not sure why.

CCTerrains
BetterStockPiles
DSSmallVillageHomes
DSWagonVender
DSAleHouse
DSSmallVillageProduction
DSSmallVillageServices
DSSmallVillageStorage
DSStoneHovels
DSBridgeCrossing
DSJettyAndBridge
DSTownHouses
iSeeFire
KidWashingMod

And although Paeng has not had any problems adding/enabling a new mod to an existing game, that doesn't work for me, almost always a crash at the point where I want to save the new game even if it has been playing well after loading the new mod. So, I will have to be sure to enable every mod that I want to use throughout the game right at the start of the new game.

Between each test or new grouping of mods, I clean out the WinData, delete all the old mod related registry items, then start from scratch. I add only 1 or 2 mods at a time, enable, exit, restart the game, open up a new game. That way I'm hoping to see which of the mods might cause a problem. So each of the lists above was made after testing each mod at a time once I've added it to the list. Its very slow lol! But I'm now keeping much better notes so I can remember and not have to repeat tests. So when I actually got to play a longer game with the full list, that was after all the tests, usually about 25-30 minutes running 10x speed and plopping everything with the debug.

So I figure this approach is giving me as much info as I can about what will work in my game. Mostly so far I've been trying to see what combinations work for the longest without running into so many crashes that its no longer fun to play the game.

The only 'draggy' game was the first load group above, with PineSet being the star player. Super beautiful and I don't mind the slower pace, which was the same no matter how much I fiddled with resolutions and other settings. Otherwise, I think my computer handles the graphics at the high end very well.

Just for masochistic fun lol, I will try to actually load the necora's list and see what happens;) However, I don't know what Play Conditions is although it is listed first. Is that an old mod not in the 1.07 list?

Edit: If anybody has played with similar combinations and sees something about the load order that might cause problems, let me know, these are the load orders I have used based on whatever info I noticed about the mod.

brads3

since the game works some of the time and is more likely to not work with more mods,i would think it is RAM memeory related.each mod needs a little more memory for the game to function and you keep reaching the limit. once you go past it then it dumps you.this might also cause the issues with the trade posts.only thing i can recommend is to use the task manager to turn off progams you aren't using while playing the game.

Necora

Interesting. I'll try to download some of the mods you have there and see if it works.

One thing, you don't need the NewLimitVanillaTP if you have any of the maritimes mods, changes to the vanilla trade post from the 1.0.7 BETA should be included in them and as far as I am aware it hasn't changed since the game came out of BETA.

Ignore Play Conditions - that is just something I whipped up for myself. It takes away the ground texture of the orchard and cemetery, changes the texture of the crop field, takes away the wall of the cemetery and fence of the pasture, and makes the cemetery, crop field, pasture, and orchard build-able on all slopes that bannies can walk on, and adds the disable pick up button to the orchard and crop field.

The first two lists are strange. Crystal Cliffs and Sherbrooke work fine for me, and I don't think I have re-compiled them since the new mod kit was released. I certainly have not made any changes to them since they were last released on here, so I'm not sure why they would be crashing out on you. I also don't see why the second list should not work, they worked fine when I tested them earlier, and I know that Nat Div hasn't been updated since the full game release.

Have you tried the Maritimes stuff without the Pine Set?

I have also noticed a few crashes with the vanilla trade post, usually when a certain boat arrives but I can never know what boat it is because I don't get to see it, it crashes when it docks. It hasn't happened with the inshore trade post yet though.

The ram thing that brads mentions might be worth looking into. I've no experience with this though, and I also have no experience using modding/banished on a mac. Perhaps it is something to do with that?

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on September 30, 2017, 12:05:08 PMi would think it is RAM memeory related.

Hmmm... Well, if you really have very little ram, you could try the Razer Cortex suite, specially Razer Cortex: Boost... Once it's set up, you get a menu with all your installed games and can start the booster plus any game with just 1 click... highly configurable.

https://www2.razerzone.com/cortex/boost

QuoteRazer Cortex: Boost improves your PC's performance by managing and killing processes and apps you don't need while gaming (like business apps and background helpers). This frees up valuable resources and RAM needed by games, resulting in higher frames per second and smoother gaming performance.

When you launch your game, Cortex: Boost automatically kicks in. And when you're done gaming, boost auto-restores your computer back to the state it was before. Even if you launch your game from Steam, Origin, or your desktop, your system will still conveniently auto-boost.

* In my setup, it frees about 400Mb ram...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

gatinho65

Ha I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes has issues with the vanilla TD lol, I try to anticipate the boat season so I can watch it carefully and SAVE before it crashes lol;) I have the VanillaTP fix in the folder in case one of the mods I load doesn't include the vanilla fixes, I need to keep notes on which ones do. Would there be a conflict if a mod's TP fixes and the generic fix are both enabled?

Anyway, a very happy update! First an apology to anyone who gets anxious if they read my rambles about the issues; this has so much more to do with playing on a mac I think than anything wrong with these beautiful mods.

I decided to really start over and reinstall the game, using a more recent but perhaps less stable version of wine. I usually go conservative with everything software related, stable is usually better than new and shiny lol;) But in this case, a very big difference so far!

I started off right away loading the big whammy of Flax Patch, New Pine, New Flora, Pine Set, and NatDiv full. Just as a what the heck, and it all loaded quick and easy! And I'm running a debug game at 10x plopping things to keep the bannies alive as I mostly watch to see if anything happens or if there are crashes. And I saved several times, as sometimes it is only at saving that I get a crash. So far so good, game is just over 1 bannie year old.

Only 30+ minutes for a bannie year at 10x speed instead of an hour, so that is new and different lol. The game is at max settings for resolution and shadows, just because lowering all the settings made no difference in anything, so I figure it isn't my graphics, it really was something more to do with the wine build running the game.

I may go full crazy and load up the whole Maritime list as above lol, just to see what happens.

I think abandoned started a mac specific thread, which is where I will post these types of things in the future lol. And again thanks to all those in the threads who have been generous with tips and advice and patient with my questions;)

@Paeng: I will look into that ram thing, see if that works for mac as well. I have lots of ram, and when I check what's running background its very minimal, especially as I disconnect from the web whenever I actually play the game, and often its just web browser stuff that is the background noise. So hopefully my issues will be more related to wine and just plain boring running the pc game on my mac.

brads3

hmm too much wine. try playing sober and see if you do better. ;D