News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newburg - Story 1 - A Whole New World Series

Started by Abandoned, January 31, 2024, 07:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 1st story in the Whole New World Series; there will be some connections to the Smallville Series but not many.  I so much wanted to use the latest version of Tom Sawyer's The North mod before I reached the end of that series, but the storylines and path to the end did not lead in that direction.  I decided that if I started a new series, I would start it in The North.  While I was restoring the lost pictures to the Smallville stories, I realized how many pictures were lost from other blogs, pictures of towns using mods I have used little or not at all.  Those mods should be shown here in the blog, so I hope, in the future, to use all or part of CC and RKEC.  I don't know how much I will be able to show on this first North map because many of the North's buildings need raw materials that first must be obtained from a riverboat trader.  This is a whole new world with no riverboat traders and no one to trade with, yet.

Early in the Smallville series it was easy to find a story map I liked and then find a location on my world map for it.  It got more difficult as the towns multiplied; I first found a location on the world map where I wanted the new town to be and then had to find a map with the main river going in the right direction and the starting position on the correct side of that river.  It often took quite a lot of regenerations to find a map.  I will not do that this time; most towns will be somewhere in a designated area like somewhere in the northwest mountains, or somewhere in the swamp.  The 1st town in the New World is Newburg, it is in the north on the main river that runs from north to south.  Year 1 of New World Time (NWT) begins when that settlement is named, but here again, I will not do as I did before; there will be no timeline connecting stories with each other or events.  Each town will have it own time as before, times will overlap with other towns and with Smallville time.

So, somewhere in time, back in Smallville's World, a young couple operated the far north riverboat trade route. They had just reached the North Pole when a fierce storm with gale force winds blew their heavy-duty supply boat further north into a river of icebergs. They were caught in the current and carried onward. At one point they were wedged between the ice blocks and feared they would be crushed.  The blocks shifted with the currant, and they broke free.  The floundering ship just barely cleared the icebergs before it was washed up along shore where the couple was able to abandon ship with what items they could carry.  They traveled on foot many days before they came to a small settlement.

Map seed  #  413244047    Valley,  Small,  Mild,  Disasters Off,  North Easy (5 Families, seeds, animals)

Map Note:  The iceberg river and shipwreck scenes were on a separate map using the same map seed as Newburg but using Kid Some Boats and Kid Ice Castle mods instead of North 7 mod.

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:  Banished UI Maps

Tweak Mods:  Fishing Dock +25%

Major or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Nomads (Kid), North 7, Nordic Stone Hut, Stone Tools, Kid Alotofseeds Trader 2 (recently released update), Kid WorkPlace Village, Mini Buildings

Supporting Mods:  Deco Tombstones, Kid Animal Barn Plus (testing before release), Kid Deco Farm Animals, Kid Fruit and Nut, Kid Hedgerow, Kid HouseBoat, Kid Market Food, Kid Wind Sawmill, Small Well, Tiny Quary

Mod note: 
Kid Animal Barn Plus is the barn and greenhouse and a few other wintery pieces from Kid Friendly Blue that have been put in a small mod and retextured to be more usable and available.  Production numbers shown are affected by the North's happiness system and uneducated workers.

Welcome, Eager Explorer,

Yes, we were amazed to discover that the world was round and not flat.  Jenser and I had our first suspicions when our riverboat got caught in the ice flow.  We had been headed north and had not turned around, but our badly damaged boat was suddenly headed south.  We were lost, nothing looked familiar, there was no going back.  We thought we must be on the other side of the world; it was a whole new world and, like you, my husband Jenser, was eager to explore it.

catty-cb

Quote from: Abandoned on January 31, 2024, 07:01:57 AM
.... so I hope, in the future, to use all or part of CC and RKEC

I still haven't used everything from CC or RKEC or for that matter embx61 Unified Mod .... I probably would still be using the fountain mod

https://fountainmod.freeforums.net/thread/18/current-fountain-mod-content

But it started to have a few issues after going to 1.0.7

Abandoned

I used parts of CC and RKEC many times in the Smallville series; the full versions ran badly on my laptop.  I have not tried them on my desktop yet.  If not mistaken, fountain mod had issues before 107.

Abandoned

Chapter 1

Lucky for us, our boat got us to shore; we would not have survived the icy river.  As it was, we were near collapse from cold and hunger when we came within sight of a small settlement and the residents came running to help us.  I can't tell you how long it had been since the shipwreck, but the snow was already melted.  The settlement was made up of 4 couples with 3 children.  The couples were our age, actually a bit younger, Jenser was the oldest at age 22. I was only 16, my name is Shie. Like us, they had no other family.  They lost their parents to an epidemic of influenza several years before.  They were Nords, a hardy fair-haired people who were cold resistant, but life was hard this far north.  One of the couples had recently migrated south to escape the cold, we could have their vacant house.  We could help ourselves to whatever we needed from the small storage units they called pit houses.

We found they did not have much.  They had some rye, venison, rabbit meat, turnips, and apples.  There were barley, rye, turnips, and flax seeds.  There were only a few iron bars, iron and stone tools and some reindeer hides that would need tanning.  There were a few linen and wool tunics.  There were a few chickens running loose and a milk cow down past the crop field by an old apple tree.  It looked like there were a couple of walnut trees there too.  Barley was being planted in the field.  There was a sheep run on the hillside closer to town.  The Nords said they had given food to the dwarves in exchange for some iron tools a while back. There's an underground city not far from here.  Yes, dwarves.  Apparently, there were also small groups of Elves, Humans, and Hobbits around too.  The Nords knew of the Christ Child, Santa Claus, and the Wise Nordic Woman; Santa comes once a year but they have not seen the Wise Nordic Woman for a very long time.  They never heard of Smallville, giant frogs, or riverboat traders.  There was no map.  The settlement did not have a name; we could name it if we wanted to.  We called it Newburg.

We tried to be helpful over the summer while we recovered from our ordeal.  It was soon autumn; the shadows were getting longer, and the days were getting shorter.  We helped gather wild foods and branches and wondered if there would be enough food and firewood for the coming winter.

kid1293

The in The North is magical. It is worth playing just because of that.

Abandoned

kralyerg

Quote from: Abandoned on February 01, 2024, 06:50:42 AM
I used parts of CC and RKEC many times in the Smallville series; the full versions ran badly on my laptop.  I have not tried them on my desktop yet. 

If there was interest, I'd be open to making smaller parts of CC available so one doesn't have to use the whole thing.

Abandoned

:) Small parts of big mods are always nice, @kralyerg .  I have CC Dock Set, Frontier Set, Stacked Housing, and My Precious; all that I have used several times.  Separate animals and deco would be very welcome.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 2

Jenser took his turn tending the sheep.  There were 2 sheep dogs that helped keep the sheep from straying too far from the run.  He saw one of the snowy owls in a dead tree by the big hill there; we often hear the hooting at night.  There was one in the tree by the hedgerow where I picked berries and gathered branches; it was probably watching the rabbits that hid there.

When some of the trees were cut by the sheep run, Jenser saw there were tombstones there.  He thought the cemetery should have a fence.  He also thought there should be a barn for the animals when the temperature dropped down into the teens and our neighbor took the milk cow into his house and another neighbor took in the chickens.  We wondered if any of these animals were getting enough to eat.  The Nords were happy to listen to any suggestions we made; they were not very experienced.  There did not seem to be much that made them happy.

By spring, the chickens were again running free and the cow was back down by the apple tree, and a hunting camp was built there.  A 2nd crop field was cleared and turnips were being planted.  Another pit house was built by the hedgerow which was a bit closer to the crop fields.  Jenser and I had our first child, a baby girl we named Merika.  Shortly after, 9 migrants arrived; there were 7 adults with 2 young children.

galensgranny

Quote from: kralyerg on February 02, 2024, 05:46:06 AM
Quote from: Abandoned on February 01, 2024, 06:50:42 AM
I used parts of CC and RKEC many times in the Smallville series; the full versions ran badly on my laptop.  I have not tried them on my desktop yet. 

If there was interest, I'd be open to making smaller parts of CC available so one doesn't have to use the whole thing.
I'm interested!

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 3

That pit house storage unit needed wood and clay to build, so would new houses.  We had seen a small clay pit north of the town.  We checked all the small stockpiles and discovered that they had an assortment of logs, firewood, branches, stone, boulders, iron ore, and clay.  The iron ore needed to be processed to be usable; the Nords had just begun the process themselves.  They had been getting iron tools and some iron bars from the Dwarves but they have not seen them for quite some time.  The Nords just built a charburner and bloomery.  Charcoal from the burner would go to the bloomery along with the bog iron to produce iron bloom that would go to the smith's workplace to make iron bars.  They could mine for the iron ore but for now there was enough bog iron to be had; there were several bogs scattered around the area.  The Nords told us we could dig peat from the bogs that could be burned to heat the houses like firewood.  We may give that a try but for the time being, there was plenty of branches to collect from the bogs and the forests.  We built a forester's workplace to the north of the clay pit.

We had a few iron tools left and enough stone tool for the newcomers but we were short on clothes.  One of the two hunters set up a campfire near the hunting camp and would make some hide capes before roasting the venison.  The newcomers were still without homes but they were being looked after by the Nords.  We learned that to build frame houses like the ones we already had, we would need not only clay but fittings and pottery as well.  We had the clay and the smith's workplace was just completed.  The smith would use the iron bars already in stock to make the fittings.  A pottery kiln was built next to the clay pit.  While we waited for the fittings and pottery, we would see that the cow and chickens were housed before winter.

Over by the sheep run, an animal pen was built for the cow to graze in in summer, a worker would keep it clean and the fertilizer would go to the greenhouse where we planted the oat, berry, potato, carrot, and onion seeds I brought with us from our sinking riverboat.  The cleaning shed would remove the plant debris from the greenhouse and take it to the barn to feed to the animals in winter.  The cleaning shed worker could also clean the barn of fertilizer.  The cow and chickens and 2 frail sheep were moved into the barn for winter.  There would be milk, eggs, and wool.  The Nords were impressed with our cold-weather year-round food producing system.

It was early autumn and there were crops to harvest, wild foods and firewood to gather, and houses to build.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

It was winter before 2 families with 2 children, and 2 young adult males moved into the longhouse we built.  We thought the longhouse would be quicker than individual houses to build.  One older adult man was still staying with one of the Nord families.  By spring we should have enough fittings and pottery to build those frame houses.  The older man had a goahti built for himself by the kiln and clay pit, but he took the nearby job of forester.  It was late spring of year 3, and before we even began building the houses for those Nords in the longhouse, another group of migrants arrived.

There were 13 of them this time, 3 couples with adult and young children.  We now had 3 more builders and building began in town and by the river.  An older man built a turf house and took over as forester, the turf house across from him housed a husband with his wife who became the fisherman at the new fishing pier.  A young single female built a bait shop next to the pier but she was busy cutting peat to be used as firewood.  There was now a woodcutter in town chopping firewood.  A well, a small turf shed, and a smoker were built near the river houses too.

A young couple built a workplace house by the barley field.  He was from the first group of migrants and she from the second.  They found a large beehive in one of the trees.  We would have honey.  Three frame houses were built in town, one for a young adult male, and one for each of the 2 families with children, 1 with a newborn.   That left 5 adults and 3 children from the first group and 1 adult male from the second group in the longhouse still waiting for houses.

catty-cb

Quote from: Abandoned on February 02, 2024, 07:26:45 AM:) Small parts of big mods are always nice, @kralyerg .  I have CC Dock Set, Frontier Set, Stacked Housing, and My Precious; all that I have used several times.  Separate animals and deco would be very welcome.  :)

All the animals are in the banished club

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/35974-individual-livestock-animals-by-black-liquid/

Just click the download button and then select which animal you want to download

Abandoned

oh, thanks for info on CC livestock animals but I meant CC deco animals, I believe there were quite a few of them.  I really like deco  :)

galensgranny

Quote from: Abandoned on February 04, 2024, 01:57:31 PMoh, thanks for info on CC livestock animals but I meant CC deco animals, I believe there were quite a few of them.  I really like deco  :)
The MegaMod DecoPack 0.07 has many animals, but I don't know if it is still available to download anywhere.